99 posts in this topic

Regarding MOO2 I think Endless Space is a good spiritual successor, or thereabouts. Certainly the 4X game that has stolen most hours of my life, disregarding MOO2 (MOO3 probably hits rock bottom on that list, just lower than GalCiv).

http://endless-space.amplitude-studios.com/

It's still in alpha, but playable, as far as I know, but back when I bought it I got it for something like 10€ or thereabouts.

EDIT: Alright, seems it might have been released. Was a while since I took the time to sit down, been playing Dragon Age again, and my rig has been acting much strange. Also might be worth telling that it does away with turn-based combat, rather using a battle cards system. I myself think the combat system works fine, despite being skeptical in the beginning.

Edited by Swe_Racoon

This one looks amazing, and should bring back many happy memory's.

http://www.grimrock.net/

Definitely a fun game. Plus, once they add mod tools, there should be capability for unlimited replay on new adventures.

Terraria: http://www.terraria.org/ feels rather old-ish to me, and I've had a blast playing it.

I had a lot of fun with that, more so than minecraft. Its a similar sandbox with building idea, but a flat 2d world, things I like better than minecraft.

So here is the Krater site:

http://www.kratergame.com/index.html

I pre-ordered that on steam and had fun with it. Its definitely worth the asking price if that kinda game interests you.

Well I'm currently doing a remake of the classic spectrum ccs game Vulcan.

http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/articles/vulcan.htm

This was a really good turn based strategy game (remember them?). It's not just Tunisia that's covered but the whole of wwii(!). Anyone interested? Mind you, it's some way off being finished.

Wow thx so much for the Neo Scavenger tip!!

I preorderered and Im playing the beta, AWESOME GAME!!! My new addiction!!

Anyone getting Inquisitor?: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/inquisitor

Looks interesting but I'd like some player testimony first.

It's supposed to be a dark, gritty, dark ages setting with fantasy elements where you play an Inquisitor rooting out heretics, maleficars and other such undesirables. Gameplay seems to be old school arpg a la Diablo or Divine Divinity but with a lot more emphasis on story, conversations and detective work (searching for evidence and witnesses to foul deeds). You can even use medieval torture devices during questioning and, if I undestood correctly, it's also up to you to burn those sentenced of said crimes.

That can't be hard. just pick anyone at random and start blaming them loudly enough and there comes enough sheepish "good" witnesses out of the woodwork to sentence Mother Mary.

I must say I find the choice of theme quite odd. It's a rather dark and undesired time/aspect of Christian history for the most part, isn't it? I would have expected that to be more of a balance act then it appears to have been. Or at least replaced Christianity with something else... Maybe they have replaced the countries or something and that is why it works?

Edited by Gorlom

I'm not sure if it's actually Christianity or some differently named fantasy version of it. And while the game tries to be "authentic" in terms of its medieval setting, I don't think it's historical in the sense that it happens in a real contemporary country.

It's an Eastern European (Czech) game and, like The Witcher, it has an affinity for this kind of dirty low fantasy hence the "odd theme". It's refreshing if nothing else.

The description listed the monotheistic God, a random saint, the devil and what I thought was 3 of the four riders of the apocalypse.

It looks to me that it's enough like Christianity that there is no difference.

It does list a region "Ultherst" that is unknown to me. Nothing shows up on google (except for information about this game). Hopefully it's an ingame country. Worst case (since we already assumed it's not a real place) it's a province or a town.

I'm a bit uneasy at the possibility of playing an inquisitor as a good, righteous, just and infallible character. There might have been good inquisitors. But somehow it feels wrong to have them as heroes fighting the legions of hell AND weeding out corruption in the local populous through torture AND being saintlike in the process.

Just look at that conversation among the screenshots. It looks like the tons people are throwing wild accusations about and inquisitor has simply made up his mind about who to believe.

I might just looking at this through differently coloured glasses due to my personal thoughts concerning religion in general.

The description listed the monotheistic God, a random saint, the devil and what I thought was 3 of the four riders of the apocalypse.

It looks to me that it's enough like Christianity that there is no difference.

Yeah, it's an obvious Christianity derivate. I just meant that it's not actually called Christianity in game. There are mentions of The Three Scourges of God and The First Prophet. I'm pretty sure those are not mentioned in the Bible though there are definite similarities.

I'm a bit uneasy at the possibility of playing an inquisitor as a good, righteous, just and infallible character. There might have been good inquisitors. But somehow it feels wrong to have them as heroes fighting the legions of hell AND weeding out corruption in the local populous through torture AND being saintlike in the process.

Who said anything about you being good? :P Think of it as being a racist, chantry-obeying, dogmatic templar in Dragon Age or even an inquisitor in Warhammer 40k. Those guys are all about fighting demons and rooting out corruption but they're not exactly friendly or pleasant to deal with.

Who said anything about you being good? :P Think of it as being a racist, chantry-obeying, dogmatic templar in Dragon Age or even an inquisitor in Warhammer 40k. Those guys are all about fighting demons and rooting out corruption but they're not exactly friendly or pleasant to deal with.

Saw a meter on some screen that had an angelwing in one end and a demonic wing in one end... Made me jump to a few conclusions I admitt.

Supposedly there's alignment meter in this game. I remember it being mentioned that if you resort to torture too much your alignment will slide into the negative. Not sure what the implications of this are. I expect you can play someone who cares about getting to the truth or your typical happy burny guy. There are supposed to be trials as well which makes gathering valid evidence important but torture might be a kind of shortcut for that since I assume that evidence gathered from torture is still considered valid. I've also seen mention that there are cases where torture is the only way of getting enough "evidence" so there should be moral dilemmas involved. Letting a potentially guilty guy go free or "tainting your soul" to get him convicted at any cost.

There are also 4 permitted and 3 forbidden (by the church) schools of magic which possibly tie in with your alignment in some way or at least how willing you are to do things "by the book".

Y'see GoodGuyEddy, you just look strange now. That's why you should just report spam instead of commenting on it!

Y'see GoodGuyEddy, you just look strange now. That's why you should just report spam instead of commenting on it!

Wait, there is report spam button?

...Oh that triangle with ! mark in left corner... Ya know, I had been wondering about that ever since I saw that russian spam bot...

If anyone likes Advance Wars you should check out "Great Big War Game" on steam - just make sure to change your monitor to 59 Hz from 60 until they patch it if you buy the game ;)

FTL going live tomorrow (not sure if it is retrostyled exactly.. but good enough)

Yay! :) Quite likely the best 10$ I've ever spent on a game.

FTL is gorgeous. I've been playing it for nearly 50 hours now (was in early Beta), and I can definitely recommend it to anyone who likes roguelikes, spaceships and a little management strategy.

Bought FTL today and it's definitely worth the 9-10 dollars. Very addictive and rather hectic at times when your ship is on fire, hull breached and boarders roam the corridors. Very difficult as well, got to the end using the Engi Cruiser (love that ship!) but still haven't been able to survive the final battle, even on easy.

Speaking of retro-styled games... UK fans of adventure games might remember the Broken Sword series, from indie developer Revolution Software. I'm a US American, but I fondly remember the first two in the series (before publishers made them take it all 3D and console, and I had no console!).

Revolution's Charles Cecil is Kickstarting a whole new mythology to explore in this installment; rather than continue the Knights Templar theme which he brought to the public in the 90's, the new one delves into Christian Gnosticism and other weird stuff, which aught to make it a lot of fun! The same voice actors have been recalled for nearly all of the localised versions (including English) and the voice actor for George Stobbart (Rolf Saxon) is active on the KS comment thread, along with the lead developer, Tony Warriner himself. Which is awesome; they're both really nice dudes, BTW.

Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse

It has approximately another week on it, so go pledge if you'd like to pick up a copy and some seriously nifty swag!

Also, I MUST HAVE FTL ON MY LINUX BOX. That is all.

Bought FTL today and it's definitely worth the 9-10 dollars.

Wow... that was surprisingly easy. Humble Bundle store, for the win it seems! That took like twenty seconds to buy & download :cool:

Wow... that was surprisingly easy. Humble Bundle store, for the win it seems! That took like twenty seconds to buy & download :cool:

Yeah, and it's awesome that they give you a downloadable DRM-free copy AND a Steam key as well.

I'd really like to support the new Broken Sword (and many others) but alas, just can't afford it at the moment. I'll still buy it when it comes out of course. Really nice to see all these old adventure series rising from the dead recently.

Damn, have to force myself off of FTL for a while and check out Black Mesa: Source. :P