Moonshine Fox

Firaxis Games' XCOM: Enemy Unknown announced!

1,295 posts in this topic

I still can't wrap my head around the reasoning of smaller squads but more lethal combat than the original... Not that it stopped me, made my pre-order today, so either I shot myself in the foot (with a nail gun. Three times) or I did a good deal. Time will tell, but it sure looks promising.

Multiplayer... Meh, never bothered with it much. So long as it doesn't take focus of the singleplayer I'm good though. Unlike ME3, where getting that "hidden scene" requires you raise the preparedness rating.

I still can't wrap my head around the reasoning of smaller squads but more lethal combat than the original...

Funny how the trailer was specifically geared towards convincing people that high lethality will be preserved. Of course that only made me more suspicious. :P

Not that it stopped me, made my pre-order today, so either I shot myself in the foot (with a nail gun. Three times) or I did a good deal. Time will tell, but it sure looks promising.

You need to work on your paranoia.

I can think of far worse fates for my feet than a nailgun. Like stepping on a Buddhist civilian.

And just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not after me! I just know thothkins and Gorlom are skulking around every corner when I'm not looking!

I can think of far worse fates for my feet than a nailgun. Like stepping on a Buddhist civilian.

And just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not after me! I just know thothkins and Gorlom are skulking around every corner when I'm not looking!

Well that is just because you keep getting into my trash you silly animal. If you stop that I won't coming after you with a broom trying to shoo you away now will I?

Seesh, I'm not hurting anyone, and it's not like you're gonna use it anyway, is it?

Gotta live up to my title, after all.

I meant that you need to be more paranoid so you don't pre-order stuff. :P

I'm not going to order this one until I know what the DRM is going to be and how it actually plays. I'm counting on your guys opinion for that. Firaxis kind of lost my loyalty when they released Civ V (widely held as a WORSE game then Civ 4) and forced you to use Steam.

From what I've tried of Civ IV and Civ V I liked V better. Although I haven't played that much of either.

BTW Hellstormer linked Friaxis X-COM on twitch to me: http://www.twitch.tv/2k

From what I've tried of Civ IV and Civ V I liked V better. Although I haven't played that much of either.

BTW Hellstormer linked Friaxis X-COM on twitch to me: http://www.twitch.tv/2k

Long time Civ players pretty much panned Civ 5.

I meant that you need to be more paranoid so you don't pre-order stuff. :P

Ohh, now that's a new twist on things. Get more paranoid? I can do that.

I ordered on the 360, so I don't think DRM is gonna be much of an issue to me. Cost me about 75€ (750SEK) though, but I never was any good at holding on to my money. Hence the nailgun sitting on my desk, just waiting to be fired. At my foot. Three times.

Long time Civ players pretty much panned Civ 5.

Meh my favourite Civ games are still 1 and 2.

The hexagons tht came with Civ 3 was a novel change but I grew tired of it after a bit. and missed stuff from the old games.

And I've never liked the diplomacy in any of the later games.

Yeah, gotta agree. That was totally awesome. Good to know the Steam pre-order will be available soon, too, though I may just get the physical edition anyways what with it being 'special' and all.

*Looks at previous 4 posts*

I should probably charge Firaxis a commission for the free advertising I do.

Was I the only one who wanted to yell, "OMG, no! If you run away, the alien will shoot your soldier in the back!" Or, "Don't try it; you'll get nailed as soon as your soldier steps into the open!" But nothing bad ever happened on the player's turn. Didn't they include reaction fire?

I admit, I also looked into pre-ordering, but $60 for another game when I already have Xenonauts, FTL, and Wasteland 2 in the pipes? Also, what if Stardrive ends up being too inexpensive to resist? No, I think I've already done enough to sabotage my master's program next year.

I admit, I also looked into pre-ordering, but $60 for another game when I already have Xenonauts, FTL, and Wasteland 2 in the pipes? Also, what if Stardrive ends up being too inexpensive to resist? No, I think I've already done enough to sabotage my master's program next year.

LOL consider yourself lucky; AUS:US exchange rate is pretty much at parity, yet as always, 15% (AUS$68) more expensive here in Oz....

Was I the only one who wanted to yell, "OMG, no! If you run away, the alien will shoot your soldier in the back!" Or, "Don't try it; you'll get nailed as soon as your soldier steps into the open!" But nothing bad ever happened on the player's turn. Didn't they include reaction fire?

Reaction fire only happens if the soldier/alien is set on overwatch.

*Looks at previous 4 posts*

I should probably charge Firaxis a commission for the free advertising I do.

You should, indeed.

Overall, the gameplay looks solid. My one gripe is that aliens seem to die to easy (save for the cyberdisc) and your troops can take hits like a champ. Maybe I'll just have to start of at a higher difficulty.

Oh yeah, I was skeptical about the new chryssalid. After seeing it in action, not so much.

Overall, the gameplay looks solid. My one gripe is that aliens seem to die to easy (save for the cyberdisc)

Those aliens seem to be low level types, when higher tier aliens like the Floaters, Sectopods and Outsiders show I think it'll be a different story.

And your troops can take hits like a champ

Did you notice that the two rookies on the terror mission only had about 7-9 hitpoints? I think it may be related to the armour type worn, class type and/or the experience level, perhaps all three.

They did say that it was a third of the way through, so they do have like Ace says certain hitpoint bonuses. It was on normal difficulty which would probably also be a factor, and with such a small squad size I expect certain concessions have to be made to their vulnerability.

Those aliens seem to be low level types, when higher tier aliens like the Floaters, Sectopods and Outsiders show I think it'll be a different story.

Well, the mutons were pretty high tier in the original. Guess I had expected them to be the same in this one.

Did you notice that the two rookies on the terror mission only had about 7-9 hitpoints? I think it may be related to the armour type worn, class type and/or the experience level, perhaps all three.

That I did not, actually. My bad and I stand corrected.

I'm with you on that one, Max_Caine, but I'll wager my left paw that I saw a video of what's-his-face (the guy standing up in the stream) saying that XCOM would be even more lethal than the original. I think it was an E3 video... Anyway, that is obviously wrong and would have made no sense with the smaller squads.