Moonshine Fox

Firaxis Games' XCOM: Enemy Unknown announced!

1,295 posts in this topic

Thought that was because you slipped the garbage collectors a bonus?

The real question is, while you were watching that lovely distracting side-show, what else was going on in the house....

Edited by Dix

Thought that was because you slipped the garbage collectors a bonus?

No, I paid them for a distraction so I could escape my place in the wall. Where to go now? I think I'll just ninja it and hide behind some bushes or under a lamp shade.

No, I paid them for a distraction so I could escape my place in the wall. Where to go now? I think I'll just ninja it and hide behind some bushes or under a lamp shade.

May I suggest you hide in the cleaning supplies closet? That way you could clean up after yourself. You left dirty footprints all over my floor you filthy bastard! :P

May I suggest you hide in the cleaning supplies closet? That way you could clean up after yourself. You left dirty footprints all over my floor you filthy bastard! :P

Yes and sorry about the footprints. I've just been covered in rat shiz for so long a stint in the cleaning closet will be like a vacation! :D Wait, do any produce any hazardous fumes?

Yes and sorry about the footprints. I've just been covered in rat shiz for so long a stint in the cleaning closet will be like a vacation! :D Wait, do any produce any hazardous fumes?

No, I keep the "heavy stuff" under the sink. (you know, close to the rat hole you were in before) Well I say heavy stuff but I don't have any industrial strength stuff.

So, here's a Eurogamer article on competitive multiplayer in Xcom

It ruins the immersion a bit for me that you can mix both aliens and humans in the same team but I guess it's easier than having to balance two separate teams.

Love how the article on interception gives no new information on interception. The screenshots have a few tidbits though.

Love how the article on interception gives no new information on interception. The screenshots have a few tidbits though.

I noticed that, too. It's no wonder, though: the whole air combat portion of the game strikes me as underdeveloped.

I noticed that, too. It's no wonder, though: the whole air combat portion of the game strikes me as underdeveloped.

Maybe but I think it'll be fine actually. It is underdeveloped in the sense that it's a minor part of the game but there's abilities and "consumables" (whatever those are) and it's over quickly. Not very elaborate but it doesn't need to be and it should be a definite improvement over x-com.

Ansered by Mr Solomon:

"People have asked, why isn't it this big, air combat game?" Solomon said. "The reason is, truly, that XCOM is already two games. You already have the strategy game. You already have the tactical game. They're really fully fledged experiences. I didn't want to add a third game over the top of that because at some point it becomes too much.

"Also, Interception only takes five to 10 seconds. I don't want five to 10 seconds of gameplay to ruin hours and hours of strategic planning."

Ansered by Mr Solomon:

Been there, read that. While I agree with their reasoning, I can't help feeling that the final result seems like an exercise in pointlessness in the vein of, say, some button-mashing track and field minigame. Without the fun bits, I might add.

Jake Soloman said ""Also, Interception only takes five to 10 seconds. I don't want five to 10 seconds of gameplay to ruin hours and hours of strategic planning." "

Having seen the three screenies, I'm still of the opinion that the Xenonaut Interception could be more complex than the EU one. But what do you all think about the impact of losing a few f-17s on the rest of the game, when you have to replace them/ or keep extra around as back up?

Personally, I'm getting more and more used to the Xenonaut air combat, and having to think a little during it is no bad thing. Currently I don't think there are enough funds to have sufficient back up, to allow intercepts while a few are getting repaired. But that's just balance, the huge number of fighters that appear and the monthly funding bug as much as anything.

Having seen the three screenies, I'm still of the opinion that the Xenonaut Interception could be more complex than the EU one. But what do you all think about the impact of losing a few f-17s on the rest of the game, when you have to replace them/ or keep extra around as back up?

After reading that article, I was more worried to read about the UI and gamepads. I've just plain passed up games that looked great, because I saw too many comments like "Using a keyboard/mouse is too awkward in this game, you need a gamepad". I really hope the Firaxis game doesn't end up like that.

As for Xenonauts, I think the "impact" on planes is about where it needs to be. The planes are expensive enough that losing one hurts, and you can't keep throwing hordes of them at the UFOs attrition-style. At the same time, the loss isn't so horrible that one mistake is the end of the game. Which is good, because players who don't expect that a "very small" UFO could be dangerous are in for a rude awakening.

They guy with gravel for a voice from the funding nations should be shot as he's clearly an alien trying to sound like a human. It does look ridiculously good though.

I'm just happy that I'm going to have two different takes on Xcom to play :D

With you on that one!

at first i though they might do something innovative for air interception, but then it seemed like they were dumbing it down, and the screen shots make it look like it is pretty much the same thing. the news about multiplayer seems odd, like the guy never did actually bother to find out why the ME fans were worried about multiplayer. i hope he isn't the brains behind this new xcom.

Check out the new Sectopod which looks alot like the Cortex Reaver from System Shock, and the new anti-grav HWP at 0:36.

Edited by Ace