Moonshine Fox

Firaxis Games' XCOM: Enemy Unknown announced!

1,295 posts in this topic

Comments are amusing. Taking neutral position till further information provided.

Hasn't a Firaxis-developed remake of the original been rumoured to be in the works for a good part of the past decade? Seems like there was something to that particular piece of gossip, after all.

Pretty much. It cropped up again shortly after the FPS was revealed, then died in the fires of rage and cynicism.

Yep, this is definately just a rumor so far. Will be interesting to watch, however. Especially now that JA:BIA turned out to be such a massive epic fail.

A sly move by 2K.

Why is that "sectoid" crouching like a dog in the headlights?

That's what I was wondering. Right before I sighed at the Imperial Guard Stormtrooper hiding behind the car.

As for the JA remake: THEY FORGOT FOG OF WAR. WHAT THE HELL.

"This is the announcement you've been waiting for: One of the most beloved strategy titles of all time re-imagined by one of the best strategy studios in the world. Firaxis Games' XCOM: Enemy Unknown introduces a wider console audience to what made the storied franchise great in the first place.

Unlike 2K Marin's previously announced XCOM shooter, which sparked tempers among longtime fans for turning its back on the series' cerebral roots, this title is a full-on strategy game that puts players in command of a global anti-alien defense force. XCOM's leader needs a worldwide perspective where threats are identified, populations reassured, and national leaders mollified – but a tactical mind is just as critical considering every shot XCOM's soldiers fire on the battlefield is under the player's turn-based control."

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/01/05/february-cover-revealed-xcom-enemy-unknown.aspx

I'm at a loss for words...

The phrase "console audience" fills me with dread considering it often means a company designing a game with consoles in mind then porting it, badly, to PC.

Also not liking how hideously generic the space marine hiding behind the car looks, and a little confused as to why he is hiding behind a car when confronting a 3ft tall alien that is being blinded by headlights.

Don't get me wrong space marines can be cool, Aliens Colonial Marines, but this guy looks like he is wearing bmx armour.

Granted, it's merely a magazine cover, but I can't fathom why Firaxis went for that Manly McSpacemarine look.

Because its visual shorthand for SCI-FI SOLDIER. *shrug*

Honestly I am more excited to see the final Xenonauts product rather than any big name company attempting the same. Maybe I am a bit biased at this point, but I don't expect big game companies to put in the work prior to release to actually make a solid strategy game. That is the main reason I am getting progressively more into indie games in general. We will have to see though. Maybe they will do it right, but I have my doubts.

big companys now push games out like breeding rabits it will be ok but will have little or no fan input and if made for console as well it means that the UI will be soooo bad for pc, I for one i cant wait to see this as i know it will be a big fail. i have started to hate all companys that once had the best games then they seem to lose there way.

www.xcom.com/enemyunknown

Very excited ... I am.

"It’s been a dream of ours to recreate X-COM with our unique creative vision. We’re huge fans of the original game and it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to re-envision a game that is as beloved as X-COM," said Steve Martin, president of Firaxis Games. "We were careful to keep XCOM: Enemy Unknown true to the elements that made X-COM such a revered game"

I think I"ve heard that before.

that was a shock.

I still can't place my views on the current events.

just one small question: Why?

2K already said that strategy games aren't main stream, reason for doing an FPS

so they get there Subsidiary to develop one? its a contradiction!

The problem is this smells of a little more than a publicity stunt to save face for 2K after the flak they've taken with XCOM and some of their statements (which appear hypocritical now). I'm afraid they'll make a half assed attempt and provide only minimum funding to Firaxis just enough to get some attention back and get back on peoples' good side to better carry XCOM's sales.

On the other hand, perhaps past experience has shown them that there really is a viable market for a "true" X-Com game and are truly dedicated to this project. It's just that the timing of this and that lame magazine cover fill me with much doubt.

In the end if Firaxis do a good job with whatever resources they are given I'm certainly not going to say no to another quality X-Com-like.

2K already said that strategy games aren't main stream, reason for doing an FPS so they get there Subsidiary to develop one? its a contradiction!

They made an error in market analysis, simple as that. Time for damage control.

Edited by Jean-Luc

The only way this new xcom will work for me if is it were an exact remake of UFO Enemy unknown.. with new graphics, but same story, tech and aliens, and mars...... Then phase two.. more aliens.. more tech.. and more planets..

I can dream.

Until then xenonauts!

Wow, what awful timing. :(

Hope Xenonaut's okay, I think I trust you guys to make an X-COM style game more than Firaxis at this point.

What they need to do is get off their butts and at least attempt a sequel to SMAC one of these days!

Hopefully Xenonauts won't have to wait 'till q3/4 2012 for a release. It should be fine if it can release a decent number of months before X-COM:EU (god I hate these title reshuffles).

Chin up Mr. England. Britain didn't fall to the Luftwaffe in 1940 and neither will Xenonauts to 2K's marketing machine. Something tells me they're not done embarrassing themselves in this whole "xcom" rage.

Some changes in approach to development and/or marketing might still be required though.

Here's the official announcement for XCOM: Enemy Unknown:

New York, NY – January 5, 2012–2K Games announced today that Firaxis Games, the creative team behind the iconic Sid Meier’s Civilization® franchise, is developing XCOM: Enemy Unknown, an action strategy title that is planned for release in fall 2012. XCOM: Enemy Unknown will be instantly recognizable to fans of the original X-COM, while breaking new ground in strategy games for today’s console and Windows PC gamers. With equal emphasis on deep strategy and intense tactical combat, XCOM: Enemy Unknown will place players in control of a secret paramilitary organization called XCOM. As the XCOM commander, players will defend against a terrifying global alien invasion by managing resources, advancing technologies, and overseeing combat strategies and individual unit tactics.

“We’re looking forward to building upon the core gameplay experiences that fans of the original X-COM love, while introducing the franchise to a new generation,” said Sarah Anderson, senior vice president of marketing for 2K. “With Firaxis’ XCOM: Enemy Unknown and 2K Marin’s upcoming XCOM, 2K Games will be offering two different gameplay experiences drawing from the classic X-COM universe. Each game offers a unique XCOM experience in different genres, as envisioned by two different studios with unique creative visions.”

Released in 1993, the original X-COM is widely regarded as one of the best games ever made and has now been re-imagined by the strategy experts at Firaxis Games. XCOM: Enemy Unknown will expand on that legacy with an entirely new invasion story, enemies and technologies to fight aliens and defend Earth. Players will control the fate of the human race through researching alien technologies, creating and managing a fully operational base, planning combat missions and controlling soldier movement in battle.

“It’s been a dream of ours to recreate X-COM with our unique creative vision. We’re huge fans of the original game and it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to re-envision a game that is as beloved as X-COM,” said Steve Martin, president of Firaxis Games. “We were careful to keep XCOM: Enemy Unknown true to the elements that made X-COM such a revered game while delivering an entirely new story and gameplay experience for both die-hard X-COM fans and newcomers to the franchise.”

What's this "action strategy" thing they speak of? Is it rather a marketing executive's attempt at appealing to the Gears of War crowd, or suggestive of a "modernised" (in scare quotes) approach to turn-based combat? I suppose we'll find out soon enough.