48 posts in this topic

Just a flat wow. It went really bad, and now there's a pile of arguments about the current version and if its the real release version.

To give an idea of how bad, people have been likening the game to Elemental on release (or even saying its worse). That's horrifying.

Hand upon Cthulhu's squamous foot, I seriously hope nothing similar happens with Xenonauts.

Just a ramble, no excessive flaming and all that. Feel free to derail after..hmm..say 2 posts?

Did the game go through a closed community beta-testing period? Having a lot of battle-hardened TBS veterans on board is a definite boon to Xenonauts and its release model.

A comparison to Elemental isn't that terrible, really. To sum it up in a word, it was... unimaginative.

About as interesting as a rerun of last month's news on TV.

It worked, though, with few if any gamestopper bugs.

Outpost or Battlecruiser 3000 were a completely different league. They weren't even feature complete on release, not to mention that a lot of those that were in, didn't work.

It worked, though, with few if any gamestopper bugs.

For some people. I kept continually getting various crashes. But yes, very, very boring.

It seems the current release actually is the release version. Wow. At least Elemental's GUI worked and it had tooltips and such on release.

@iamkyon: Apparently it did have some kind of closed beta with the community. Current reason given is that they really, really underestimated the time they needed and were ordered to release after multiple extensions or something.

Feel much happier about Chris delaying Xenonauts to make sure it works right as a result. Take as much time as you need Chris!

Haven't been able to find much 'official' info beyond whatever Paradox says, since the Dev's forums have crashed or something.

I had actually never heard of the game before so I had to do a search on it. Is it similar to "Master of Orion 2"? That game was a lot of fun and I have been looking for a game similar to it for some time. Would you recommend the first "Sword of the Stars"? Something else similar to MOO2?

More combat focused, less diplomacy and screwing around with planets. Planets make money and build ships, that's it. I quite like it, there's some tactical fun in there (various weapons, ways of fighting, soft and hard counters, counters to them, etc).

And, y'know, that classic fun of blowing stuff up. With enormous fleets timed to arrive on 15 planets on the same turn (though not the whole fleet fights at the same time). All detailed enough that you can blow individual turrets off.

Best to get the complete collection though.

I used to play it alot...then Xenonauts came around. Now its all EU and TFTD, all the time.

Still look back fondly, part of why I'm mildly annoyed they fethed up the launch so badly.

I was really looking forward to it before I heard you needed Dx10. Comp is waaay to old for that, heh. In fact it's slowly dying, but it's lasted really really well.

I wasn't sure about the big glowing decals all over the ships, and I really hope they've made energy weapons emitters rather than raygunz! with long barrels. But I still enjoy playing the original, and getting my ass handed to me by menaces, so one day, when I build a more up-to-date comp, I shall hope that they've got SotS2 running smoothly.

Afaik there was an official statement from the devs that Steam uploaded a beta version by mistake. It was even said that the "real release" was in the process of being uploaded to rectify the situation and that it was a matter of hours.

It'd be pretty dastardly if it turned out that the beta *is* the release version.

And yes, the dx10 thing is just bs. Why would they do that? Mass Effect 2 doesn't require it, why SotS2?

Edited by Jean-Luc

Its both?

They did upload a new version...and its apparently not much better than the 'accidental beta'. And that really is apparently the release version (main difference: disabled the options button on the menu).

Haven't tried playing (or downloading) it yet till they sort out the other problem. Namely, its now a 8.6 gig download for a 4.4 gig beta or something. I live in northern Aus, internet isn't cheap! Or fast for that matter!

You should probably just hide the game in some dark drawer and wait a couple of weeks before taking it out again. From what I hear it'll take several patches until it's worth playing.

Yeah...*sadface*

Whelp, it'll give me time to update the LP!

You all died. *chuckle*

Stop that.

Hush you two!

I had actually never heard of the game before so I had to do a search on it. Is it similar to "Master of Orion 2"? That game was a lot of fun and I have been looking for a game similar to it for some time. Would you recommend the first "Sword of the Stars"? Something else similar to MOO2?

Galactic Civilization 1 or 2 from Stardock. That is a spirtual successor/remake of MOO 1 and MOO 2

And now to answer some other things. See if patches will fix it in the future. Kinda like elemental, I enjoy playing elemental everyonce in awhile. As to the DirectX 10 thing.

Mass Effect 2 didn't require it because, Mass Effect 1 and 2 were developed with consoles first, and at the time of development, DX9 was still the biggest market for PC's.

Though to be honest there is no advantage in using DX10, now DX11 it from what I hear actuall is better and more efficient, uses memory better than DX9. So we shall see.

I've never played it. When I heard that there are flat hard counters to core weapons lines for races it turned me off.

Well, not really, it was finding out I couldn't control the combat. I'd been playing SOTS before anyone ever mentioned GalCiv to me. Before that it was TFTD, CnC 3 and Harvest Moon.

RTS/Strategy player at heart. An explosion isn't the same unless I've ordered it. Or caused it in some other fashion. Or grow plants.

Edit: Oh, I have little doubt that patches will fix it up. Sots is a prime example, its much, much better after the various patches and expansions.

I just remembered an indie game similar to SotS and SotSE, still in development, that I came across a while ago.

Gemini Wars: http://geminiwars.camel101.com/

Supposedly the focus is on "fleet tactics" rather than using cooldown abilities (when compared to SotSE). Hope it's good.

Oh and does anyone remember that Battlefleet Gothic total conversion for Dawn of War 1? Progress is freakin' slow but the mod leader appears determined to finish it and some kind of release seeeems to be coming up: http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?104523-Total-Conversion-Battlefleet-Gothic

Edited by Jean-Luc

Yeah the lack of control in Galactic Civilization 2, is kind of a downer for this excellent game. Hoping for a number 3 haha. Anyways, if I had to estimate I would say about 40 to 60 percent of my game collection is some form of strategy.

What's SotSE?

Sins of a Solar Empire?

Edit: Thanks for the link about Gemini Wars. Will have to keep an eye on it.

Edited by Sathra

Now that I'm looking at the SotS2 web page. Not surprised by the bugs and some dissapointment on the level of game play. I like Paradox Studios, but dang do there games come loaded with bugs and game play ecentrics. Takes a while for the patches to fix the bugs, and then the MODS, the big saver for Paradox to make the games a lot more fun to play. Heck when total conversion mods of game are being released as stand alone titles your doing something right haha.

What's SotSE? Sins of a Solar Empire?

Do you know of any other SotSE? I don't. :P

True...but we are talking about 4X-like games. They can be pretty obscure.

Like this JA2 thing that keeps getting brought up. :P

Just a flat wow. It went really bad, and now there's a pile of arguments about the current version and if its the real release version.

To give an idea of how bad, people have been likening the game to Elemental on release (or even saying its worse). That's horrifying.

Hand upon Cthulhu's squamous foot, I seriously hope nothing similar happens with Xenonauts.

Just a ramble, no excessive flaming and all that. Feel free to derail after..hmm..say 2 posts?

Comparing SOTS II's release to Elemental's is really badmouthing Elemental. Elemental actually worked, for the most part, and had most of its features actually implemented. SOTS II does not, from what I hear. Apparently, it's displaying code occasionally in the place of missing strings (something like SOTS_HIVER_JUMP_DESCRIPTION instead of "The Hivers can create jump-gates that allow them to instantaneously move from one jump-gate to any other."), the Options menu doesn't work, it always starts up in Windowed mode even when it's supposed to be in full-screen, and a *lot* of things make the game simply crash. It's basically completely unplayable. Elemental was just boring, with a few crashes here and there. SOTS II, not so much.

Do you know of any other SotSE? I don't. :P

SoaSE is the proper acronym for 'Sins of A Solar Empire', I think. SotSE is some kind of strange amalgamation of Sword of the Stars and Sins of a Solar Empire.

SoaSE is the proper acronym for 'Sins of A Solar Empire', I think. SotSE is some kind of strange amalgamation of Sword of the Stars and Sins of a Solar Empire.

No need to explain it to me, I was the one who originally mentioned it. Was just joking with Sathra.

I ... game ... play ... now ... ! ... ? ... ! Hadn't heard of Sots prior to this, will investigate the first ... if 2 is even a tenth as bad as is being suggested here, it can wait for a long time before I will bother looking at it

Yeah, sorry about that Langy. As I learned more about what was actually happening, it became obvious that Elemental's release was excellent by comparison.

Actually feel bad about making the comment now.

Curious, did Stardock ever actually apologise for Elemental not being what it was advertised as? Kerberos sure isn't, just apologising for not commenting on anything. I know Mecron (the CEO of Kerberos) won't, since he's an ass quite frankly.

But slightly more in line with this site, this whole debacle is making me much, much happier about Goldhawk and Chris. It is really nice to get honest answers.