Post-Steam Development Process

• 2 weeks later...

No, I think he want's to be able to download it from the Humble Store, as in, a key to activate it on the Humble Store itself.

Actually, that wouldn't be a bad idea for me, either, since Desura's all convoluted and such, and I'd much rather use a nice, humble store to download my game than a large, convoluted mess (in my humble opinion).

So, how do we download the game off of the Humble Store? Do we get a key to do that?

Actually, that wouldn't be a bad idea for me, either, since Desura's all convoluted and such, and I'd much rather use a nice, humble store to download my game than a large, convoluted mess (in my humble opinion).

So, how do we download the game off of the Humble Store? Do we get a key to do that?

Any news on this?

heh I'm kind of a couple months late, but guessing there is no way to claim the forum badge still eh? i swear i registered to this forum when i bought the game. doesnt matter if not anyways, i only read these forums I'm not much of a poster. A note to end on at least, love your game!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since this is where everyone seems to be posting thank yous...

I've been following this game for about a year now, I've probably been registered on the forum for about 6 months. While I was never much of a poster until recently I have been doing a lot of reading and I have to say I love this whole development team. Thank you all for making such a fantastic game and putting so much effort into it.

I understand making a game isn't easy, especially with an active community that is always telling you what is wrong and what is right. The developer from FTL threw a fit about it and said he'll never make a sequel because of his hate for the community, and I watched the wasteland 2 forums slowly dissolve as their developers became more distant and mean. I've never seen that here. Yes some people comment more than others and some stay distant entirely but at the end of the day the Goldhawk crew listens to its people and I love that. You've all done such a fantastic job and I'm very happy to have found this game.

Finally, thank you Chris, our beloved leader :P! You're incredibly passionate about Xenonauts and tight with the community, it's just so wonderful. You've restored some of my hope in video games and the video game industry and for that I am grateful.

if you never tell the developer what is wrong, how can he tell what needs to be fixed? besides only people that play the game care if a game is fixed or not, so people that say everything is great and wonderful might just be kissing up (even if they have nothing to gain). FTL is a good game, he should be proud of what he made, and not need people to tell him that.

people that tell you what is wrong help you improve, people that tell you what is right make you feel good. if all you hear is what is wrong, eventually you'll be a god who thinks himself a man. if all you hear is what is right, eventually you'll be a man who thinks himself a god. i'd prefer the former to the later.

Edited by jamoecw
grammar

• 5 weeks later...

Will it be possible to get the game *without* Steam?

I picked up the Desura copy specifically to avoid Steam and because I hate Steam's "you only own the ability to download streamed files as long as the service hold" system ; I do like having the .exe on my computer and knowing that if my internet goes down or if Steam goes down all my purchases won't turn into thin air.

Just want to make sure that the announcement does not mean that the Desura purchases is no longer valid and merely allow you to get a free Steam copy (which I do not want).

Well, that is a relief.

As much as I like the idea of being able to buy games online, one of the big reasons I've refused to use Steam is the unability to actually own the games bought on that platform.

(with some truly horrid examples being games that you buy in the stores, with full CDs... only to find out that the CDs are basically just empty, linking you to Steam and requiring you to play the game streamed, meaning the physical copy is 100% useless. In fact, you don't even get to keep the .exe files on your computer, making the physical copy doubly useless)

Will it be possible to get the game *without* Steam?

I picked up the Desura copy specifically to avoid Steam and because I hate Steam's "you only own the ability to download streamed files as long as the service hold" system ; I do like having the .exe on my computer and knowing that if my internet goes down or if Steam goes down all my purchases won't turn into thin air.

Just want to make sure that the announcement does not mean that the Desura purchases is no longer valid and merely allow you to get a free Steam copy (which I do not want).

Steam Has Promised, repeatedly, that if the servers do go dark, they will release a patch to all games, that will remove the drm lock.