Build V18.51 Released!

We have now released V18.51, which is intended to mostly be a collection of stability fixes / AI improvements, but invariably a few new features have found there way in there too.

I'm really hoping this build is stable, as I want to have a stable build we can use for balancing while I crack on with getting the improved UI and the like implemented.

At present, the status is:

• Desura standalone version: available for download
  • Desura client version: available for download

Right, onto the changes:

NEW FEATURES:

• Sounds: we now have snow and sand footstep noises (lots of tiles without footsteps have been fixed), and we have redone the weapon fire sounds for laser, plasma (alien and human) and MAG weapons too. They sound a lot better.
  • AI functional: There's still a bug in the AI, but as far as I'm aware it's a relatively minor one. The aliens should now be able to see your troops and shoot them, but not also see them through solid objects.
  • Xenopedia: A few more updates to this. I'm down to the last ten projects now, nearly there.

BUGFIXES:

• Launcher video disabled to prevent launcher crashes.
  • Dreadnoughts have properly been removed from the game, solving the crashes associated with them.
  • Valkyrie-related crashes fixed.
  • If final alien is killed by reaction fire, the game no longer crashes.
  • Combat shield crashes fixed.
  • Geoscape mouse cursor should no longer flicker.
  • Alien Sniper Plasma no longer has a duplicate that unlocks Alien Plasma Cannon research.
  • Various tile sprite fixes (including Xenonaut Base walls no longer being destructible)

As mentioned above, if the game is relatively stable then we'll stick with this build and use it for balancing (Aaron has a big balance patch ready) while I get to work on the new UI and so.

I for one would hope the AI continues to evolve as long as the game continues to be developed. And I also didn't know the UI needed further improvement, it's quite impressive from where I stand.
I'm not opposed to making the AI better, but if you want to balance a game for difficulty it's pretty hard if the opponent gets better while you're in the midst of trying to achieve said balance. Once we have a stable AI and the game is balanced then fixing exploits against the AI, adapting for new weapons, changing for changed game mechanics, and fixing plain dumb behavior in certain situations would be fine.

I for one would hope the AI continues to evolve as long as the game continues to be developed. And I also didn't know the UI needed further improvement, it's quite impressive from where I stand.

Was going to say so myself.

Good show! Though I am curious as to what the AI bug is.

When the AI try to digs its way through a wall to shoot you when it see you through another alien that can see you?

Also, since my bandwidth is nearing cap, could someone please give me/us a green light that this is indeed stable-ish? (i mean that the turn hang, no research and such other known game breaking bug isint omni present? :))

Seriously Targe, you asked this when 18.5 was released. The answer is they don't know. Until the game is stable enough and doesn't cause people to projectile vomit "this r suk plz fix" everywhere, it's not going on Steam yet!

Edited by Max_Caine

I wish it was on Steam already.

Desura is simply not working. I have checked everything (all is up to date on my PC, OS, Java if needed, DX, drivers, folders rights, etc.), re-installed with clearing cache/everything, looked for solutions at Desura and elsewhere, nothing more, followed the update process, all is fine until it tries to install the update.

The game works fine on stand alone (manual download + hot fixes), it works fine when manually launched from Desura sub-folder (\Common\Xenonauts) v18.5 no fixes, the "looking for updated files" mechanics seems ok, the Desura install service is running (i even rebooted just in case), the cache mcf files (1st to check install less than 2 Mo, second for the delta of files, i'm guessing, of about 330 Mo) are being created (the first 1.9 Mo is erased after 1st check), but it all falls apart when trying to update with the dreaded message box :

MCF install error. "Failed to download tools. [7.0]"

What a shame, i'll un-install again and wait for manual 5 Go download :/

It has nothing to do with Xenonauts itself. I hope the Steam update process is easier for both Chris and us ;)

It is possibly more to do with Xenonauts than Desura.

The sheer number of files in the Xenonauts directories plays havoc with most programs that try to handle them.

Desura was likely never designed for dealing with thousands of tiny files in this way as most games don't use that system.

You could argue that they should have thought of it or that they should make changes to their client to support Xenonauts but I think that is unrealistic for a company their size.

I wonder how Steam would handle the number of files in Xenonauts if the compression doesn't work by then?

I reckon it will struggle as well.

Even locally running zip file managers can take a long time.

i had no issue with v18.5 manual DL, a couple days ago, but i DL on one drive and unpacked on a second one, which double the unpacking speed (even more if those are 2 SSDs, but not my case, only the destination one is)

Gaud, I'm pretty sure that the file count isn't at issue here. I just flicked through my Steam directory and checked file counts. The most I could find was a little over 15,000 files from Elemental: Fallen Enchantress. I saw a report elsewhere on this forum that Civ V has about the same number of files as Xenonauts, but I don't have that installed.

Xenonauts is at 37,000 files right now. So its about 2.5 times more file-heavy than E:FE, but here's the thing: I've never had a single problem with Steam hanging on game launch (excepting first-time install) like Desura gives me, and other people every time.

So unless there's some break-point where Desura and Steam algorithms just break down and slow to a crawl, then there's definitely a difference between Desura's speed and Steam's.

Because (Steam.FallenEnchantressStartTime x2.5 != Desura.XenonautsStartTime)

it's more likely a breaking point if about number of files (2 bytes = 65535 = "unsigned short ", "short" being signed = -32767 / +32767, it would require a code update on Desura side to have either "unsigned short" or "int" type, if that is the breaking point, to be able to count beyond 32k)