Flash's maps

flashman

Ok this map pack has undergone a huge transformation.

Lots of work has gone on creating a unified soviet look, particularly with roves. Lots of changes to roof tiles across submaps.

Added Valkyries spawns to all maps, despite bug between sizes. Reworked some maps to make it fit cleaner.

Fixed some bits that felt wonky, including gas station driveway. Expanded others, such as KGB second floor.

Added some new submaps, including a soviet basketball/park variant and a larger shop.

All submaps have been matched to base game directories or combined to give more randomness (where possible)

Most submaps have 3+ versions now, though not all.

This means that there is greater variation in most maps. Still got to work on wooden building, 20x20 and trains.

Renamed all submaps and maps to fit the community map pack.

Added light scout variants of all crash site maps.

Created a new Arctic map based on barneo bases. Created new arctic submaps to do this. Had to change around the base because it was too open turkey shoot. Link

Created 2 new soviet maps. Tech centre defense and outskirts.

I am currently making carrier/landing ship variants of all small maps and corvette/scout variants of larger maps. These should be up in the next 2 days.

All maps have been re-quick battled to check for errors, though I only have so many eyes/time.

I hope people will install and enjoy. Please let me know of any issues/concerns/feedback.

I have updated my personal map pack to version 7. It includes all the changes made to the CMP.

1) Reduced the number of civ and allied spawns across maps.

2) Fixed Valkyrie across maps. Size had not correctly updated on some maps between versions.

3) Included the first Carrier/Battleship map. Dropped_a_big_one

It is currently set to 70x70 though I am looking for feedback here. I might move them to 80x80 for more variety/scale.

To test the carrier map, copy the contents to maps folder. Carrier Test

Replace the contents of your levelsetup_quickbattle.xml with the following text. It is found in assets.

<?xml version="1.0" ?><LevelSetup><Map tileset="industrial" mapname="industrial_dropped_a_big_one_battleship_carrier" /><SpawnTarget dropshipType="airplane.human.valkyrie" ufoType="airplane.alien.carrier" /><Aliens>  <Alien name="AI 1" race="Caesan" rank="Guard" script="offensive" isKilled="0"/>  <Alien name="AI 2" race="Caesan" rank="Guard" script="defensive" isKilled="0" />  <Alien name="AI 3" race="Sebillian" rank="Guard" script="offensive" isKilled="0" />  <Alien name="AI 4" race="Caesan" rank="Soldier" script="offensive" isKilled="0" />  <Alien name="AI 5" race="Caesan" rank="Soldier" script="defensive" isKilled="0"/>  <Alien name="AI 6" race="Lightdrone" rank="Lightdrone" script="offensive" isKilled="0"/>  <Alien name="AI 7" race="Lightdrone" rank="Lightdrone" script="defensive" isKilled="0"/>  <Alien name="Civilian 1" race="Human" rank="NonCombatant" script="civilian" />  <Alien name="Civilian 1" race="Human" rank="NonCombatant" script="civilian" isKilled="1"/>  <Alien name="Friendly AI 1" race="Human" rank="NonCombatant" script="friendlyai" /></Aliens>

Run Xenonauts_gc_editor - Quick Battle.bat from the Xenonauts folder

I've had a quick look at your Soviet Town maps and I like some of them, but I think overall they're too densely packed with buildings. The average town actually has quite a lot of space between buildings - roads, parks, open space etc. I think your maps would probably take a bit too long to clear.

There's also an element of your maps using some of your sub-maps that I don't think work so well, so it'd be interesting to see how one would look once I approve some of the sub-maps to go in the game and you use only them. I think that'd make them resemble the Goldhawk ones a lot more.

My favourite map is the soviet_terror_corvette_landingship (though it does still have too many buildings, they are nicely divided up here).

Arctic - just had a look at these. Not convinced by the "barneo base" ones, but the Freezer maps are nice enough. I think you make the Arctic quite heavily populated though! I'm not sure more than 2 buildings on an Arctic map is really a good idea.

Desert - not bad, but I'm not sure the layouts really make sense. There are random concrete patches in the same and random fingers of sand sticking into the base. It doesn't seem like the way the military would lay out a base. It might also be worth adding some sandbags to this map - they worked well for the military soviet buildings.

Industrial - these are quite good. I'd make more use of the grass rather than such large amounts of concrete, and I think we need more building submaps...but they have potential. Some of the wall placement seems a bit random, though - generally a wall is up against a road, or is part of a larger whole, or divides two different ground types. Perhaps this is where using more of the grass might help?

Middle East - I don't think this looks particularly realistic, but I don't really think that's your fault. We need to do more work on this tileset as it doesn't fit together very well and it's hard to make maps with it at the moment.

Town - I like the layout of your Town corvette map actually. Maybe I'll give that some tweaks and put it in the game. It has some nice ideas in it.

Thanks Chris, the two you like, Soviet and town are the first 2 I did and I spent about a day on each one learning the editor.

I teach history and geography so I googled lots of images to make my maps and create the designs. Some of the bits you hate are the bits I hate.

Large parts such as the industrial walls issue were submap issues. I did not have want I wanted when I made the map and I was trying to break up LOS.

I have created myself a list to keep you busy.

1) Rework soviet submaps to get them submitted to GH

2) fix soviet terror with GH agreed SM and lose some of the buildings. Then email you :P

3) Fix the desert map- I think it could work out well with some work and email you :P

4) Fix the arctic freezer map and email you :P

5) Create some industrial submaps and use them to fix industrial map and then email you :P

6) Never play with farm or desert tile sets as they just don't seem to work.

Edited by flashman

Ok the first of the revised soviet maps is up and running. The roof tiles still need work but I have now created a much more interesting layout.

Only uses submaps liked by Chris. More greenery and parks. More elegant :P

Map is KGB defense revised.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wlabz379z9tsfaq/KGB%20Defense%20revised.rar?m

If people like it and it is error free, I will add it to the CMP once I have put on some new submap roof tiles.

3 maps have now been revised with new parks, driveways etc.

they only use submaps that Chris liked. -still need work on the roof tiles.

KGB Defense 2

Town Defense 2

Terror 2

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xxhbspf6g184ych/soviets%20revised.rar

There is a mix of plaza and concrete for the park paths. I am torn by which to use.

Driveways also use the white base atm, though a sandier colour is available if preferred.

Hi all

I have just put together my new military compound map. it uses custom submaps for all the different parts.

It is a very rough picture because it is made from about 30 screenshots.

They can be found and commented on in this thread

Currently this is the 80x80 version for battleships and carriers. If it works OK I will downscale it for the different craft.

Any feedback +/_ please have at it and i will adjust accordingly before final release in the map pack.

10qxs1y.jpg

Direct Link

You can download the map HERE!!!

OK, I've sat down and worked through all of your submaps (I think I had some left over from last time too). Anyway, I've thrown out the ones I didn't like and I've revised the ones that I did like. Overall, you've got some really nice work here.

Aside from getting some ground tiles done, specifically the carpet tile for the flats, these maps should be pretty much ready to go now. Some have been quite heavily modified, but they're all still credited to you because the ideas are very useful.

Here's a list of the submaps that have made it into the game in edited form:

-Stasi: 2 variants

-Bungalow pair: 3 variants

-factory variants: 2 variants

-flats: 1 variant

-soviet garage: 1 variant

-hospital: 1 variant (I reworked this heavily, changing it to the flats wall tiles instead of the government tiles)

- records office: 2 variants

- shed: 1 variant

- outhouse: 1 variant

Be careful of double-painting floors where you can. Having two different ground tiles on the ground can confuse the engine sometimes.

Also, you'll have to redo your levels. A joint pack of buildings and submaps isn't going to work that well because once I've sorted through and renamed all your sub-maps, your levels no longer work. So you'll have to redo them, then I'll have a look.

I'll release the updated tiles / maps containing some new tiles and the new maps in the next few days.

I've also updated your Arctic Light Scout map a little and fixed a few issues with the alignment of the water and the snow tiles around it, and that's ready to go in the game. Your other two Arctic maps are just variants on the same map though, so I've disregarded them for now.

Hey Chris thanks.

Don't worry about editing them as you have been doing this longer than me and will pick out mistakes quicker. If you look at your own submaps for too long you also end up with my newly diagnosed 'submap block.' You have also got a better insight into what you want the game to look like.

I will look at what you have added and I will work through the maps I have. I will edit them and check them. I will also remove the arctic map from the CMP once the next update goes live.

WOW!!! A massive thank you for the new props... those tanks are amazingly cool. The sandbags look great and we now have military stuff that blends really well.

I will work on the soviet military base stuff over the weekend and see how it comes out.

I also like the new roof elements and the bigger windows are a nice little edition.

OK Soviet Military submaps are under way now that Chris has given the soviet tileset an overhaul. I have 3 variants on a 23x21 sized map military submap.

First is a 2 storey with all the internal trimmings, the second pretty much a copy only 1 storey and I put the barracks downstairs. The 3rd is 4 1 storey buildings, each with a different role.

The submaps are HERE

Images below

4g0jtx.jpg

2qx5oqc.jpg

4pxs2a.jpg

I like the building, interesting layout.

Good bit of cover inside for room clearing as well.

Just curious, how do the sandbags work on that roof edge?

I like the idea of a building like that with roof access and sandbags for cover around the edges.