Sounds about right. I know a lot of people record with fraps and simply drag the raw video file into YouTube - that'll take hours, maybe even days.

I use Adobe Premiere to edit and its encoder to render videos to a smaller, compressed size with minimal loss of quality. Premiere's expensive though, and probably not necessary for gameplay stuff. I'm sure one could use Windows Movie Maker, although I don't have any experience with it.

I used Windows Movie Maker. It's pretty much crap, but it works. And yeah, you wouldn't want to just upload the raw fraps file. Those things are huge. I liked the videos wegame did better, but I can't get it to work anymore.

It's a night terror brought on by a large UFO. We have no money and few soldiers. We're way behind on tech, and the world's beginning to look for an alternative. If this terror mission goes well, the items harvested would propel our technology to new heights and could renew the world's hope for a proper defense against the incursion...

[video=youtube;sOgkaowrpfo]

Too true, Commissar. They never turn out as well as you hope, and with the reaction firing being what it is... ouch. Skyranger Syndrome is back in full force - I never want to leave the ship ever again..

*slowly rocks back and forth*

--------

It seems most people are in favor of me restarting but skipping to the stun tech prior to mediums coming in. I should have better equipment shortly afterwards, but I think I got unlucky with alien power sources. I think I may restart back in the Europe area, since tileset generation is separate from where the UFO was shot down (could change next patch, though) and I seemed to have much more activity over there.

I'm going to wait a bit before starting over, though. I have a feeling a patch will be coming along shortly after Chris' vacation is over, and I don't want to burn out. I have other play-throughs to get going on anyway (Mass Effect now, Fallout 2 very soon). Definitely keep an eye out; either subscribe to this thread and watch for an update or subscribe to my YouTube channel to be notified when something goes up.

Edited by ClosetYeti

Nice. Only one thing to note.

Sniper rifles have an accuracy display bug where they can count cover as too high. Basically, if a target is behind any kind of cover it'll show 0%. You can still hit them most of the time, since sniper rifles can punch through objects like AP rockets do.

Sniper rifles have an accuracy display bug

Good to know! I thought the sniper rifles seemed a bit.. gimpy? Oh well. More Team Rocket!

edit: That is, for that session. I'll put more faith in my new sniper. He's no Hemingway, but he's alright... I guess..

edit 2: Also, my goal is to include fire in every thumbnail. Seeing as how the thumbnail backplates are an in-game screen shot, that means we needs lots of fire every episode. More fire = more explosions. This is good?

edit 3: Throwing up a second one to make up for no Kerbal or Fallout 2. Should be public within moments :)

Edited by ClosetYeti

Various little tips:

The missing armour bug was fixed, and when they fully heal all their gear gets dumped into stores. So just check the team before you send them.

Right-clicking grenades/rockets/ammo/weapons will load them instantly into the first available slot big enough. Hands then belt then backpack.

Aircraft can't have their equipment changed (in the case of the chinook soldier placement) while being refuelled. Its just odd that way.

the game is still very unbalanced it seems

Game balancing hasn't kicked into full swing as we're still not actually in beta. The reaction firing is a known issue and I trust it'll be ironed out, but one fact remains: Never, ever, EVER.. do terror missions at night. Especially with rookies :P

Yeah, the only tip I'd give is to not move out until the second turn. Cuts down on the reaction fire a bit since they move and have less TU's.

The little alien accuracy fix I posted somewhere makes the reaction fire a bit less horrible. Mainly because they miss more.

The little alien accuracy fix I posted somewhere makes the reaction fire a bit less horrible. Mainly because they miss more.

Yes, I've seen that. I also happened to notice mention of "stun rockets." Very tempting, but I'm trying to avoid using any modifications to keep it as vanilla as possible, providing the game is still playable. That way anyone who may be "playing along" doesn't get any surprises because they don't have a mod I have.

Edited by ClosetYeti

Actually the stun rockets are now in HF 2, which was updated after my research fix. They should have been in the game this whole time :D.

Bit late for the playthrough though, since they only unlocked when the rest of the stun weapons do.

Actually the stun rockets are now in HF 2, which was updated after my research fix. They should have been in the game this whole time :D.

Bit late for the playthrough though, since they only unlocked when the rest of the stun weapons do.

I feel like I may have mis-installed the second hotfix. I don't seem to have laser ammo either, unless that comes later on? Seems odd I can make the guns but not ammunition.

You need to download the hotfix again. Chris kinda-maybe stealth updated it 2 or 3 times, with the last update being the actual fix. You might have to rollback the saves to before laser and/or stun weapons to unlock it, or 'hack' the research file to unlock the missing items when your current project finishes.

. . . but one fact remains: Never, ever, EVER.. do terror missions at night. Especially with rookies :P

I go the other way. In the original XCom, I used to avoid night missions as the aliens had better night vision, but in this game I find night and the light sticks makes for a much safer mission than blundering around during the day.