Xenonauts Squad Amount Question

Desired Xenonauts Squad Amount  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Desired Xenonauts Squad Amount

• A small Commando Unit (2-5)
    • A decent, versatile force, like it is now (6-10)
    • A larger, meat grinder-y platoon (11-18)
    • Who was that guy who died? (19+)

I'm not sure I'll know until the alien AI is complete. I can find 8 a little tough going in terror maps, so there's a concern that I'm 1 or 2 short there if the AI gets tougher.

I'm also one for not taking vehicles. The idea being that it helps my troops gain experience and stats. The reality being it's tough to do that when they are no longer breathing :)

It mostly depends on the mission... To take on a small scout I usually take 2 veteran troopers and 2 rookies with the veterans providing covering fire and draining most of the health of the enemies so the rookies can finish the job... Terror missions it's usually 6-8 troopers with 2-3 veterans and 4-5 rookies.

Edited by Azazass

Anyway... numbers...

I prefer 9 - 15 as squad sizes in the OG.

I tend to run groups of three soldiers and increase squad sizes by adding groups.

Three groups is the minimum I like to run for tough missions while taking the numbers up above the 18+ doesn't make the mission much easier for me, it just makes the movement phase take longer as the majority of the extra troops don't even engage the enemy for several turns as the front wave clears them out.

It does help when you start to lose people though so depends on how the game is balanced.

8-14, if the latter would be available only for a larger transports. Then you can have two squads with some mix of assault, riflemen, one support and one heavy + 2 independent snipers for a most large of missions.

I generally didn't fill my dropships to capacity unless I was specifically going after a really large target in EU94. As long the game doesn't make it mandatory for you to have a squad of 18 due to sheer attrition (encounters tend to be spaced out) then it should be a matter of choice.

Yes, but the gameplay will obviously be balanced around assuming people will deploy as many troops to the battlefield as possible (we have to assume that), so you'll be at a disadvantage if you don't do so and therefore people will feel they have to fill the dropship up.

So really we do need to experiment with 16 to see if it is too unwieldy.

• 4 months later...

Something in-between X-Com Apocalypse and X-Com: Enemy Unknown (2012). In Apocalypse you could have (I think), 6 squads of 6, I personally think 36 is too many and won't go with the current maps. In Enemy Unknown, you get a maximum of 1 squad per encounter with 6 soldiers. This works well in the game and makes you care about each unit. In Xenonauts, I'd like to see 6-12 as I don't think we need another meat grinder-y platoon game where each solider is just a number. I'd like to be able to take more squads into battle, maybe two. This would mean you could have separate squads with different purposes without trying to have 1 mixed squad and it would be in-keeping with X-Com tradition of multiple squads. Too many soldiers would have players abandoning strategy and just wasting units until the enemy is defeated.

Edited by Pandora