UFOs & Being Horrible: Part 3 (New Solution!)

Chris

Among everyone I know, opinions on EU range from "No TU, no play" to "Meh, but had fun anyway". And on every forum I frequent. Maybe one person per forum screams awesome. Yet it seems to be going through the roof in reviews. The hell?

Really I have little trust in them by now. Even people I know often turn into dolts when writing a review. But forget that - I myself can't help but laugh at the naivete of one review I did 4 years back. Why? I guess it's just hard to be objective when writing for a large audience, you want to either attack or praise your subject.

I guess it's just hard to be objective when writing for a large audience, you want to either attack or praise your subject.

Trust me, the large audience has nothing to do with it - it's hard for most people to be objective anywhere ever. Most of the time, if you really want "objectivity" in the video game world, you have to find demos or watch gameplay footage and decide for yourself.

Myself, I wouldn't say the new XCOM was "awesome" or through the roof. But I thought it was better than "meh enjoyed it anyway". I actually would compare it to the earlier Sid Meier's Pirates remake - a great game in its own way, and something I'll have a blast playing through now and again, but... I don't know, there were just a few things keeping it from being endlessly, obsessively replayable.

Trust me, the large audience has nothing to do with it - it's hard for most people to be objective anywhere ever.

Nah, it's pretty easy to be objective with a friend. Moderately possible on a small forum. But when you write for an audience, you start getting artsy, and that gets in the way of being objective. There's a million ways to praise a car that goes a million miles an hour, but only so many to say it can do 140.

Anyway, back on the topic: still have doubts, screens would help everyone see it.

TBH, I'm getting kind of sick of going into random topics and seeing them hijacked by this same old discussion. Fully understand the temptation to continue it (heck, I did so in a previous version of this comment), but aren't there other places for it?

Edited by AvistTorch

I think I grasp the concepts, but I agree with others on this -- I'd like to see some screenies please, when you have the time to create and post them.

As I understand it, it's like how EU handles combat inside UFOs, the facing wall and ceiling of the UFO vanishes into a blue outline of the hull so you can see inside.

Might be a bit off topic but what about things like units hiding behind building walls? I was thinking that maybe something like fallout1-2 transprency "aura" around unit would be nice.

I'd love to have camera option that would turn the walls off entirely though. Like that feature in sims games... i feel shitty for mentioning that game here but yea. That way you wouldnt need to code which tile "activates" the no-walls mode.

Edited by Skvid

the transparency aura can't be done unfortunately. the game engine doesn't allow modifying anything on the go like that, you'd need to replace the entire sprite... it is possible the toggle all walls to ankle height would be possible though. (since TGL RF works) but it would mean more work for Aaron with extra ankle high tiles :P