Build V16 Released!

Build V16 has been uploaded to Desura now and should be approved. Sorry about the delay; I've had to clear out the 7 pages of posts in this thread because the delay was so long this thread basically wasn't about the build any more.

The standalones should be up, and Linux / Mac versions are also being uploaded now. Hopefully all versions should be approved within the hour (I'll update this when they are, but my Desura contact is doing the approvals now).

Build V16 contains the following:

- AI model: This is the big improvement in V16. GJ's updated AI model now allows aliens to share information and LOS with each other. This means that aliens will now be able to fire on Xenonauts beyond the sight range of the shooting alien if it is in the LOS of another alien, and they will be harder to sneak up on without reaction fire if a Xenonaut unit has been spotted. They'll also try to avoid standing in each others' line of fire.

There's also been some improvements with regard to psionics. The aliens should now use them (though you probably won't encounter psionic aliens in this build), but they're also limited to being used on humans in LOS of the alien team. General shooting priority for the aliens should be a bit more sensible now - they'll prioritise more dangerous units (Xenonauts) over harmless units like civilians etc.

The AI model will continue to develop; we'll announce more about this in the coming days.

- New tilesets: The way we're making our tilesets means that none of them are actually finished yet, but we have now made enough progress on the Arctic, Desert and Middle East tilesets that we can build basic maps out of them. I've not had time to add the maps for the Middle East tilesets yet, but I've put together a couple of maps for the Arctic and Desert tilesets. In both cases the tilesets are far from finished - they don't have their (waist high) cover props in place yet, and a lot of tiles haven't been painted over or fully set up in the game, and the UFO crash sites use the Industrial tileset art - but they should still be fun to spend a bit of time playing with. As I'll mention in our beta plans update in the next few days, I expect to make a lot of progress on the tilesets in the next month or so.

- Soldier Role Badges: On the Soldier Equip screen, there are now some big red squares next to the soldier rank icons. These are placeholder icons for the soldier role badges, but the full functionality is there. Clicking (or maybe right-clicking) on the badge will let you equip a soldier with the default loadout for that role, or to change the default loadout for that role, or to change the soldier role. Please test this thoroughly; the coder thinks there's plenty of scope for it to be full of bugs.

Unfortunately, there's a few things we were hoping to include that haven't made it into this build because of the wonders of time zones. We'll probably release V16.1 on Monday or Tuesday, which will include the following updates:

- Overdamage: This system will set a HP threshold value for items. If it is ever exceeded from a single source of explosive or hypervelocity damage (it's all or nothing) to the alien carrying the items or the tile they are sitting on, the items will be destroyed. Basically, this means you can use tank cannons and missiles to kill aliens if you like, but there won't be much left to recover afterwards. Small arms fire shouldn't destroy any alien equipment.

- Soldier Portraits: We should have 41 new soldier portraits to put in the game. They are the first 41 $200+ Kickstarter backers to send us their pictures. I think some of these are really cool, actually.

- Improved Tilesets & Middle East Tileset: I'll put together a couple of maps for the Middle East tileset, and we'll have some updates and improvements on the Arctic and Desert tilesets too.

- More animations: A bunch of things were rendered out when I was away, which are currently being processed. They should be done for the next build, which will have a load more civilian types for the Town tileset and should have sprites for the Xenonauts using the alien weapons too, with more to follow.

Right, with that done, I'm going to go and try the new X-Com! Let me know if there's any critical bugs.

Bugfixes, don't forget all the bugfixes!

Edit: Well, there are too much to be listed here, just wanted to point out that (hopefully) we did solve most of the issues of the previous version, we're not waiting beta to fix all bugs as someone did say lately (:

Edited by Giovanni

Bugfixes, don't forget all the bugfixes!

Edit: Well, there are too much to be listed here, just wanted to point out that (hopefully) we did solve most of the issues of the previous version, we're not waiting beta to fix all bugs as someone did say lately (:

Very true! And don't forget the optimizations!

If you think you're ready to curse the loading screen / hidden turn screen for displaying too long; try to step in our shoes where you need to look at the damn thing all day long!

Awesome! It would be nice to have a brief list of the bigger issues though, just so we know what's been fixed, what fixes don't work and what hasn't been fixed, so that us forum goers know what's what.

Sure thing.

Among the others, these critical bugs were solved:

- Time progression won't work after savegame loading

- Ground combat loaded from savegame did crash during first alien turn

- Advanced medipack disappeared when entering ground combat

- Loading savegames from October 1st shouldn't crash anymore (This is a "not sure if really gone" one, but for now it seems to be fine)

- Farm maps loading is fine now

Minor ones:

- Dead soldiers could resurrect if dropship was shot down the way home

- Soldier were counted wrong in base management screen & techincians count incremented on hiring new soldiers

- Recovery time prediction for wounded soldiers in the after mission screen was usually wrong, should be more accurate now

- Soldiers disappearing while moving to base floor of a building

- Choice menu for near targets on geoscape did left the game paused if closed pressing escape

Then, a lot of invisible work that should reduce occasional crashes, particularly in ground combat.

Not to mention that a lot of mis-set/broken tiles and sprites have been corrected, so we should see less misplaced objects in ground combat.

Little note on workarounds/patches I posted here and there in the bug report forum: obiouvsly the patched files are included in this build, so you won't need them anymore :)

woah, holy crap, would you look at the time! It's 9 in the morning!? (gmt+01) oh well, at least I've been "productive", I've gotten to chapter 34 (of 52) of the excellent "XSGCOM: Mirror Image" fanfic Another shameless link to the story!

EDIT : @Fieldsofillusion : Really O_o, not for me (I'm missing my premium pre-order badge btw chris, I used the desura connect as per the thread about it too). Unless I am looking in the wrong place?

>-> ... <-<

Edited by Orion

Hmm, being completely new to desura (normaly a steam or gog junkie). I can now see the V16 listed on the Xenonauts "profile" page, but that's the entire thing (as in all 1.889,96 MBs). I thought the entire point to desura was to update the game -without- having to do the full download each time?

I can find no "update" function on the right click menu, and launching the game only starts up the now "old" V15.1 (according to the splash at least), does desura use the "validate files" function to update?

Please help a n00b out :D

Orion, just wait a little longer. It'll pop-up a notification and an update option in the client when your copy of Desura realises there's an update to apply.

Ah, I see. Good to know (for future updates and such). Good morning by the way, shame that I'll be heading for bed soon, not having slept at all the last ... erhm... 20ish hours :) Guess I'll get to play it later (*sulks*).

Thank you for responding quickly by the way, and thank you all for the great work you are doing on this game!

Cheers!

Edit : Starting to understand the frequent quips about desura and it's functionallity by the way :P still no update flagged, so I started a manual download of the client, as I'm heading off to dreamland now, you all have a good night.. errr.. day ... Whatever :D

Edited by Orion

I got to the first downed UFO, about to start a mission, and then it crashed.

EDIT: Also, quick battle still launches the full game, and even though the launcher's options say 1600x1200 windowed mode, the game always launches in 1920x1200 full screen for me.

EDIT: Oh, and I have two versions on Desura... "alpha" and "premium alpha"... was Xenonauts part of a Humble Bundle in addition to the Kickstarter? I'm not sure if I bought it twice...

EDIT: The details in Desura now says Premium Alpha (1194) build 39... so if I'm supposed to be on build 16, is this a version from the future? :)

Edited by eobet