Customizing solider details (apperance, name, country, sex)

I'm someone that paid for the custom portrait via kickstarter and I'd have no problem with people being able to customize their soldiers. Someone that paid for their name to be in game would have a legitimate reason to feel differently though! I do suppose that they get to know that their name will be played by unknown people around the world which is unique, but that does limit things. Character customization something that people will strongly want... and those that want realism can easily ignore.

The following routes seem viable:

* only customize callsign (and keep it separate from name ala Gorlom/XCOM). I liked the XCOM unlock after promotion but that's tangential.

* when you hire a soldier you can edit their info, then it's locked aside from callsign

* you can click a field to edit any part of the soldier at any time

Roles do take a little heat off of renaming, in X-COM I'd add Mk/HW/Th/Rct etc after people's names to show what they were good at. :)

It seems that the main issue here is that some people (like me) would really like to be able to customize their soldiers for role play and some people feel that customization of soldiers breaks their immersion. Here is my solution: This is a game meant to be intense and heart pounding. Some people find it hard to get attached to random sprites with random names and so those people like to name their soldiers after people they actually know. For instance, I care much more if my buddy Ross dies than if Ivan Vassyliovich dies. For those people (particularly since customization is such a beloved and integral part of the X-com games), soldiers should be highly editable. For the people who don't want to edit soldiers for whatever reason, don't edit your soldiers. The option for customization doesn't force anyone to customize but it does add options for people who want them. For an indie game like this, I'd imagine that you would want to appeal to more than just one group of people in as many ways as possible and, honestly, the reason given for not being able to customize soldiers by our beloved leader just seem insufficient. Forcing your customers to mod the game to do something so basic for the sake of "immersion" is ridiculous especially when it isn't even compulsory.

On the callsign discussion, the "real name" is also used instead of the callsign when you receive the notification that a soldier has suffered a bleeding wound.

I've got my name in there. Well , my name on these forums in there anyway.

Now take a person new to the game. Would I insist they are unable to change John Thothkins (that's number 18 on the list for all those who want to have him in their game :) ) and ruin the squad they want that consists of their family/ friends names?

No, of course not. That would be mean and most of all needlessly frustrating for the player.

When I typed the caveat above, I was actually thinking of the portraits along with the names. Not something that shouldn't be done, just something to give some thought to.

Tweaking starting squads to give a higher appearance chance to those who have provided pennies might be another option?

Well, it isn t much relevent as in any Xcom titles, soldiers dies a lot, so your dream team will probably disassemble from energy poisoning and lead poisoning among other things.

What could be done now is let a paste will all random heads and info of how to create them for anyone willing.

Or at most a paste with haeds and minor subpastes : male caucsian, male asian, male afro, male not so male, and the other side for female, female caucasian, female afro, etc.

Thought maybe this would give a work to the face selector, but i suppose faces are already somewhat like that because of the the name ties.

It only lack variety, let comunity donate faces.

Edited by Mordobb

Well, it isn t much relevent as in any Xcom titles, soldiers dies a lot, so your dream team will probably disassemble from energy poisoning and lead poisoning among other things.

But that's the whole point, isnt' it?

To watch little friend clones you love (or hate) die in a horribly grusome fashion.

But that's the whole point, isnt' it?

To watch little friend clones you love (or hate) die in a horribly grusome fashion.

LOL... i m not much akin to clone wars, see people i like die, or do petty revenges that doesn t affect my ennemies.

Jokes aside: I understand what you neam, but when Zed is dead i don t tries to Dolly him.

But as you, i think that keeping your peeps alive an extremely relevent part of the game, but once dead, dead it is.

• 4 months later...

This thread is a bit old, but I didn't want to create a new topic to request a feature.

The naming, etc, I'm all fine with, but is there any chance on getting a feature that enables changing the character portraits (the ones that are already in-game) for the soldier?

I fond it funny, when I placed my base in central Africa, that my entire team was white.

You thought you'd done the right thing, joining a fanatical small group dedicated to ridding the Earth of something. Unfortunately, instead of joining Xenonauts, you've joined the KKK. An embarrassing mistake to make.

I've read some of the previous pages and can understand the arguments for and against customisation. However although i'd like complete customisation I'd settle for being able to choose portraits. For me that and a name are the most important!

• 1 month later...

Old thread but important topic. If the developers refuse to add an option to pick custom portraits, then I hope a modder can do it at some point. I hate it when I have multiple people in my squad with the same portrait. It just seems odd to me why that basic option was left out to begin with.