Was thinking about the Mascot thread, and it occurred to me that the Xenonauts have no motto!

Now as far as I know, most armies, companies, etc. have a motto of some sort. I was thinking maybe some of the community might have some ideas as to what could be a good motto?

I reckon it'd have to be one which isn't used by any existing service, and should probably be in English or Latin (one is quite universally spoken, and the game will come out in English, and the second is well known to add that extra touch to mottos and sayings)

So if you can think of any cool/bad arse/motivational mottos, lets hear them!

Happy posting!

"Per aspera ad astra" seems appropriate to the situation.

Or, alternatively, "Boil 'em mash 'em stick 'em in a stew!". :P

Also if anyone remembers that 90s American military series that was a bit Top Gun-ish but with a Sci-Fi twist. It was called Space: Above and Beyond, got cancelled after one season. Anyway, "Above and beyond" is simple, down to earth and military sounding but has an additional layer of meaning in the context of an organization meant to fight an extraterrestrial foe.

Edited by Jean-Luc

"It's a good day to die."

That's a tad glass half empty isn't it?

"Above and beyond" is simple, down to earth and military sounding but has an additional layer of meaning in the context of an organization meant to fight an extraterrestrial foe.

That sounds quite good, what is it in latin?

"Per ignis, uictoria! Per vim, Libertas!"

Through fire, Victory! Through force, Freedom!

Ha ha Sathra I thought you more for a "per pugnae victoria! per ignem laetitiae!" kind of man

Through tactics, victory! Through fire, joy!

Nega astra, ignis eorum volutpat euismod faucibus.

Deny the stars, steal their fire. (Kind of fits.)

There's always this one:

Incurvasti mori succurrit. Nolumus.

To bow is to die. We will not.

Edited by Sathra
Italics add gravitas!

And there I thought moderators were omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, and just all around omni.

I don't think latin is really an option for a motto. Too cryptic.

It has to be something either very martial or very silly.

Martial-sounding mottos often come across as cheesy, though.

"Above and byond" might work but it would probably lose a lot in translations.

Drives me nuts when some want to use Arnie's "I'll be back"... but then use a free translation in german. If it's not the exact wording as used in the german movie, it's not a quote! %^(#$^!

"Food that stings" is a Posleen reference (what they call humans for their annoying habit of effectively resisting being eaten) but not quite applicable. Something along the same line of thinking might be, though.

"The trouble with humans..."

"Will the aliens ever learn?"

That sounds quite good, what is it in latin?

It has no "official" Latin translation that I know of. It's a common phrase in English used in expressions like "To go above and beyond the call of duty" for example. But like it did in the SAAB series, fighting an alien force gives it a whole new dimension so to speak.

I don't think these things have to be in Latin.

Edited by Jean-Luc

Why does an organizational motto matter? Shouldn't we be discussing a sort of catchphrase associated with the game instead as a 'motto'?

Xenonauts: Fear The Unknown

Also, is the organization itself actually called 'Xenonauts'? Or is that a term that we're using for the alien invaders who are both xeno in origin and nauts in their en-devours?

If the organization is called Xenonauts, where is the origin of this organization? Assuming it could be anywhere in the world, the motto should be universal. Is Latin the universal language? ...Gosh I am so ignorant of things.

But as for military mottos I think...

Unite and Survive / Survive and Unite

...Probably works best considering the circumstances. Also, I totally believe the glass should be 'half-full' as far as the Earth is concerned and the general atmosphere -- if the atmosphere is sticking to that heavy and dark X-com style.

I think latin is not mandatory, so i purpose this:

"Xenonauts. The last line of defence"

Love it.

Certainly latin is not necessary for a motto, it does seem to be the standard though, but then a covert military organization to fight alien invaders might not be standard...

And yes an actual game catchphrase would be good to, maybe not Fear the Unknown though, it smacks a bit too much of EU.

Xenonauts: The Last Line of Defence ... I like, don't love but like.

Xenonauts: The Time is Now

Xenonauts: Saviors of Sol

etc etc

@Jecrell, feel free to start up another thread to discuss whatever you want, I just thought this might be a nice thing people could pitch in on.

And no Latin is definitely not mandatory, though I don't believe I ever said it was...

And I don't know if Xenonauts is the official name, but I imagine that it comes from Xeno = alien, and naut as in astronaut and cosmonaut; something to do with space I guess