Desura MCF errors!

So, a lot of people are having Desura MCF issues with the download - I've had a lot of Desura messages and a lot of emails / forum messages about it. I've had a chat to the Desura folks and they've said they're working on a patch to make the issue better, but it won't necessarily fix it completely. In the meantime, you can log into Desura and download the standalone files here: http://www.desura.com/games/xenonauts

The problem is because their system isn't that great at handling LOTS of small files, and thanks to a combination of the tiles and the sprites, Xenonauts has LOADS of small files. Unfortunately this problem is only going to get worse until we hit beta (when all the units are in the game).

That's what you get for using dated tech - but it's far too late into development for us to change our setup. We'll use a better engine next time around though. Apologies for the difficulties it is causing everybody!

With Desura, is it possible to run post-installation scripts? I was thinking that you could zip up the collections of files into a few large zip/tar files and have Desura download those, then run a post-install script to uncompress them.

The downside would be that you'd have to download the full zip if any file in it had changed.

With Desura, is it possible to run post-installation scripts? I was thinking that you could zip up the collections of files into a few large zip/tar files and have Desura download those, then run a post-install script to uncompress them.

The downside would be that you'd have to download the full zip if any file in it had changed.

Sounds a good idea! We should consider it, Chris..

Yes, but then you have to download the entire file if any file in it has changed, which defeats the entire point of people not just downloading the standalone. I imagine for the final version of Xenonauts everything will be zipped up, but not while we're regularly releasing builds.

Yes, but then you have to download the entire file if any file in it has changed, which defeats the entire point of people not just downloading the standalone. I imagine for the final version of Xenonauts everything will be zipped up, but not while we're regularly releasing builds.

We could split it in many zip files, so that only the changed ones are downloaded, still reducing the total number of files..

I don't know how these things works but, is there any kind of virtualization which could allow you to trick your engine into a virtual file system which allows you to put everything into a small amount of files?

I'm afraid that the current amount of small files could get you in trouble even with steam, or for further developments...

Technically, fault is Xenonauts' because engine of it involves lots of itty bitty tiny files :P And every other game works on Desura.

Nah, desura errors often enough on anything. See their forums! I guess you're just far more likely to encounter it here due to the number of files. In any case, a download service should be able to handle serving anything. There shouldn't be a limitation to what they can reliably supply.