The new guy: A.I. Developer #42 & Discussion on A.I.

So A.I.!

I've heard you guys were having a rough time with the subject, and after seeing a job opening I applied for the position!

A small introduction: I'm a quite passionate game developer, specializing in A.I., living in the southern part of the Netherlands.

Important answers for insight into the persona:

- Chrysalid, Chrysalid, Chrysalid

- It's called UFO: Enemy Unknown, dammit

- UFO > Terror from the Deep >>> Apocalypse

- Flying Power armor was O.P.; Real men play without.

Now onto the good part:

I want to be quite open on the A.I. development and plan to keep a journal.

The journal should be approachable by anyone (it shouldn't be technical) and the first two posts can be found here:

Xenonauts A.I. - Introduction

Xenonauts A.I. - Knowledge Systems Pt. 1

Furthermore, feel free to ask me any and all questions, apart from specifics on game content.

Also, I hope this thread turns into a discussion so you as a community can help guide me in the construction of the A.I.!

Confident he will break your unfortunate A.I. coder streak,

GJ

(Callsign Methius)

Good to see a developer with strong convictions. Your posts are very approachable. I do have a question already, actually. I once read somewhere (can't remember where) that turn-based games allow the a.i. to be more mature and advanced in its response to the player, because it has more time to consider the state of the game. Would you say that was true?

Welcome to the forums, It'll be good to finally have better A.I. than run around randomly and shoot everything or stand still and shoot everything. Looking forward to race specific A.I as well, help give aliens there own unique identity. Journals were very interesting to read as well.

Got a couple of basic ideas of how I think they should behave:

NPC soldiers - Either guard/patrol an area or advance towards UFO (set up perimeter), high emphasis on cover

Ceasans - Standard A.I., high emphasis on cover

Sebillians - More reckless, tendancy for close range ambushes, retreat when below % health

Androns - Disregard cover (and walls), constantly advancing on your troops

Any idea on when they'll be a A.I. update? (Can't remember the last time we had one so I'm quite excited)

Welcome GJ, and very interesting blogs; I've spent a fair bit of time playing ARMA, in which there are quite a few AI behavioral mods, so it'll be interesting to see your continuing blogs on your development work. Interesting comment you make on the overhead of AI decision making processes in FPS shooters (ARMA probably having the highest, being essentially a sandbox environment) compared with turn based games.

Welcome to the forum GJ.

Looks like you enjoy a challenge and you should find a few of them dealing with us ;)

I will be looking forward to pitting my 0.5 wits against your AI creation soon.

I know you haven't been on board long but I am curious to see how much modability you will be able to build in to the AI system.

Welcome!

I approve of your approach of goal-oriented path-finding.

I especially like your assigning goals to civilians instead of the usual random movement. Since '94 I've wanted civis to actually try to hide or move to the dropship for protection from behind the xcom lines.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

[...] I do have a question already, actually. I once read somewhere (can't remember where) that turn-based games allow the a.i. to be more mature and advanced in its response to the player, because it has more time to consider the state of the game. Would you say that was true?

In general sense, this is true.

Rather simplified: in realtime games (from a NPC perspective), the A.I. is mostly reactive as its calculation time can be measured in milliseconds, if not less. Turn-based games however, generally allow (and require) the A.I. seconds of calculation time as we hope to beat the player in planning, not in reaction-time.

It does depend on perspective though: in realtime games we could have an extra overarching A.I. that takes its time to calculate correct squad positions.

The whole problem is that in realtime, the A.I. constantly needs to keep up with new information, in a continuous environment. In turn-based games, the A.I. is spoonfed events and can take its time analyzing them.

[...] Looking forward to race specific A.I as well, help give aliens there own unique identity. Journals were very interesting to read as well.

Definitely a major point, and one I am taking my time to get right. Next couple of journals should focus on this.

[...]Any idea on when they'll be a A.I. update? (Can't remember the last time we had one so I'm quite excited)

Don't expect anything big soon; it's a big undertaking and I'm trying to do more than several months of work in a very short time. :-)

I know you haven't been on board long but I am curious to see how much modability you will be able to build in to the AI system.

I am designing everything with modability in mind. However with A.I. it's rather tough to have both "intelligent-decision" making AND complete control over what the A.I. can do. In other words: you'll need to trust the A.I. to make the right decision.

In essence; mods will allow the enemy units to change behavior (P.e. Rambo-style <-> Cover-sneaky-ninja-style) quite easily, but they probably won't be able to exactly tell them what to do.

Since '94 I've wanted civis to actually try to hide or move to the dropship for protection from behind the xcom lines.

Can't have civies becoming too smart! But maybe I'll allow the randomization to produce some that are smart enough to run to the dropship. :-)

(If they can last long enough to get there that is..)

Edited by Gijs-Jan

The only thing I want to know is if the AI is going to cheat. Example: Will it base it's actions on only what it has or can see on the map? Or is it going to cheat and make decisions based on knowing where all Xenonauts are located? Will it know what kind of weapons all Xenonauts are carrying or only on what it has seen a unit fire? Etc... Finally, please, please, please don't make the AI hide the last alien on the map so you have to search every part of the town for hours to finish a map! Consider having it surrender, do an banzai charge, or blowing itself up along with as many civilians as possible, anything but hiding in a closet!

I'm with Max on the civilians. They ought to run for cover and stay put. If an alien or Xenonaut approachs they ought run away or in the case of Xenonaut at least make room for them to get by. They definitely shouldn't run around in circles or back and forth in open ground. Or into burning buildings or fire. ;)

You know, I dread to think what the size of your FSM rough diagrams are going to be and how much paper they're going to use as they get silly large very quickly *flashbacks to Theoretical Comp Sci lectures and coursework at Uni*.

Good to finally see progress on one of the biggest aspects of the game though! Good luck.

Edited by Buzzles

Looking forward to receiving a good spanking. =)

Are you sure you've come to the right forum Gazz? :)

A big welcome to Gijs-Jan! I'm looking forward to reading the journals so a very big thanks for taking the time, in what must already be a pretty hectic schedule to keep us all educated & informed.

Finally, please, please, please don't make the AI hide the last alien on the map so you have to search every part of the town for hours to finish a map! Consider having it surrender, do an banzai charge, or blowing itself up along with as many civilians as possible, anything but hiding in a closet!
Doesn't Alternate victory condition already fix this? :confused:

I'm with Max on the civilians. They ought to run for cover and stay put. If an alien or Xenonaut approachs they ought run away or in the case of Xenonaut at least make room for them to get by. They definitely shouldn't run around in circles or back and forth in open ground. Or into burning buildings or fire. ;)

Some should. If the civvies always save themselves what's the point of having them in the game? It just makes the phase the player isn't in control of longer and somewhat tedious.