201 levels for the alpha

Orumo

Updates

08/10/2012: Ind and farm maps updated to v15.1. All chinook orientations added.

04/09/2012: Maps updated for v14. Industrial maps with less open spaces.

18/08/2012: Farm maps added and Industrial ones reviewed. Added example of how to edit level setup for quick battle tests.

Links:

Industrial Updated on 08/10/2012

Farm Updated on 08/10/2012

Level Setup for Quick Battle example

Additional Notes:

To use the levels in the Full Game Campaign, just unfold the zip in the "installation dir/assets/maps/" and you will have them into the war.

Just check that the final placement of the maps is "installation dir/assets/maps/[industrial/Farm/etc...]/".

To test the maps in Quick Battle you need to check that in "assets/levelsetup_quickbattle" you have add the proper spawn type for that map, check the example in the link above to see how to make it. So if you wish to try a "scout" map you have to add a "scout spawn" to the xml.

Edited by Orumo
Update

Is it possible to play these in campaign mode rather than quick battles? I'm guessing unzipping the archive but in what folder? Do I need to modify any files as well?

Of course, I have done the levels to use them in the Full Game Campaign, just unfold the zip in the "installation dir/assets/maps/" and you will have them into the war.

Just check that the final placement of the maps is "installation dir/assets/maps/industrial/".

Edited by Orumo

These are pretty decent (and well done for doing so many of them). I think you're a little held back by our existing sub-maps, though - for instance, creating a larger concrete area populated with building supplies would seem to suit your maps more, as you're putting together several of our smaller sub-maps to form a big one. It doesn't always look as convincing as a full-sized map would.

I also think the maps are probably a little too open. You need a few more small alleyways etc in them to let aliens hide in and get that real X-Com feeling. But overall, the maps are pretty accomplished and it's good to see people getting involved and coming up with extra content for the game.

These are pretty decent (and well done for doing so many of them). I think you're a little held back by our existing sub-maps, though - for instance, creating a larger concrete area populated with building supplies would seem to suit your maps more, as you're putting together several of our smaller sub-maps to form a big one. It doesn't always look as convincing as a full-sized map would.

I also think the maps are probably a little too open. You need a few more small alleyways etc in them to let aliens hide in and get that real X-Com feeling. But overall, the maps are pretty accomplished and it's good to see people getting involved and coming up with extra content for the game.

Thanks for your words. As more submaps are added I will try to insert them into the generating code to have more diversity in each tileset.

About the open spaces you are right, but I think the overall appeal is currently fine for an industrial yard, I will try to create distinct feelings in each tileset and once all the tilesets are done, I'll review each one trying to refine them. Is a little difficult to tell to a program something like "make some dangerous alleways here and there" but I'll try to improve it over time.

Could you make some alley type submaps (1x5 footpaths and junctions) and tell your program to use those between buildings in some places?

Yeah, can be possible, I'll try that in the future with the town tileset and his nice sidewalks, meanwhile I will start to make the farm levels which seem to be easy enough to allow me make some cleanup in the code in the process.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Edited by Orumo

These are great for adding variety to the game. It's amazing how fresh the game feels just from having some variety.

The tiles around the Chinook seem to be mis-set a little, as there are weird issues with line of sight being blocked through what should be open space, and the far side of the Chinook appears shorter than the nearside on maps where it spawns side on.

All in all though, great work man!

These are great for adding variety to the game. It's amazing how fresh the game feels just from having some variety.

The tiles around the Chinook seem to be mis-set a little, as there are weird issues with line of sight being blocked through what should be open space, and the far side of the Chinook appears shorter than the nearside on maps where it spawns side on.

All in all though, great work man!

The problem here is with the chinook sub-map, hope will be solved by proffesionals ;) Thanks for trying the maps!

Oh, wow. I've just read your post possible and discovered you wrote a program to do this. Cool. It's quite funny that it's gone full circle from us wanting to do it fully randomly and automatically originally and then deciding semi-randomly was better, to having someone write a program to automate it again :)

Oh, wow. I've just read your post possible and discovered you wrote a program to do this. Cool. It's quite funny that it's gone full circle from us wanting to do it fully randomly and automatically originally and then deciding semi-randomly was better, to having someone write a program to automate it again :)

The funniest, I think, is that random maps using pseudo-random submaps seem to be a nice solution ;) Procedurally generated content rules!

Kudos! Great work Orumo. Fantastic to play with random maps - I'd forgotten how scary it is to scout out a new place at night, when I have no idea where that ship is or whether I've just marched my primary marksmen out to his death, while trying to see what is the other side of that car park.

When the beta is out can you release ur programm please? :)

Maybe I'll release the source code after the final version is out, but not in alpha or beta stage.

Are you the new level designer that was in the kickstarter streach goals?

No, but the crisis is striking hard in Spain and I can hear offers... ;)

Diablo and its sequels and clones do something like that, if I'm not mistaken.

That's correct, another well known example would be Minecraft, and there are several games that use that kind of feature in some way, like the rally stages and user created circuits in Gran Turismo 5, or the (huge) map in Just Cause.

Hi all,

I've done the Farm Maps and updated the Industrial ones to correct a few things. Hope you enjoy them, a lot of hard work done to make them at least correct. I have done some submaps in order to have the most possible nice maps, and it was easy thanks to the quality of the tiles of this game.

In the proccess I have made some cleanup in the generator code, and added nice features like pseudo-random roads, size variable sectors and some, darker, ones that help the maps a lot.

Other thing that I have changed is that there won't be anymore lightscout layers on others ufo type maps, so to test them in quick battle you have to edit the levelsetup_quickbattle in assets to give it the proper spawn. I have updated the first post with an example link.

The numbers have changed also, now you have 350 Industrial maps, more or less, and 303 farm maps. Hope you like them as I'd like to make them. Please post your thoughts about them if you want, I appreciate so much your feedback.

I will on holidays the next two weeks so I will be back to work on September 3rd, meanwhile I will continue to check the Forum and, of course, playing Xenonauts.

Hi all,

this is my first post ever in this forum...

I've bought the alpha pre-order a few days ago, and after some days of playing the 3-4 original maps I've downloaded the Orumo's ones.

I think you've done a very good job...by the way there are a few glitches here and there.

As my first contribution I think I've managed to solve the problem we have in industrial map with the chinook SW, having the north-west wall is displaced blocking the door exit to xenonauts.

I've modified the submap and it's available for download at this link:

ChinookSW.xml

[sPAM MODE ON]

if you want to create an account on dropbox (that is extremely useful - no spamming here!), please register through my referral to grant me some more space! thank you!

Get Dropbox!

[sPAM MODE OFF]

for those who don't know, the file must be placed in the following folder:

../installDIR/xenonauts/assets/maps/industrial/SpawnMaps/chinook/SW

I've also modified the chinookNEW submap (click for download) for the nw wall and the roofs. this submap I think is used as a template. It had the pivot points not correct for the two sections of the roof. I modified them and saved the two tiles spectres as well. you can find them two online.

the chinookNEW.xml must be placed in the following folder:

..\xenonauts\assets\maps\industrial\SpawnMaps

but if you want it should be copied to all SpawnMaps folder of others tilesets. btw I think it's effectively a template so maybe it's useful only for developers or mapmakers.

the two roof spectres (ChinookSW_roof1_spectre.xml & toplevel_spectre.xml) should be placed in the following folder:

..\xenonauts\assets\tiles\newchinook\SW

if you encounter any difficulties with the files download or gameplay tell me and I'll try to help solving them.

ciao!