Weather effects?

What if there was a realistic weather-map overlay for the battlescape, which could affect the game in various ways-both malign and beneficial? For example, getting a tailwind to give your interceptors a little extra range, or the possibility of losing an entire helicopter full of soldiers(and gear!) due to flying into bad weather. Or simply the added atmosphere of a terror mission in a thunderstorm-with requisite penalties to LoS range and accuracy due to reduced visibility. That would be interesting, if nothing else.

I've been thinking about this since even before ever knowing about Xenonauts, (or even Xcom for that matter) and I think that it would be a great addition to the mood/setting of the game. I'm a huge fan of strategy games, and I ove it when they make me have to stop and THINK about the environment beyond 'what gives better cover, and what can I blow up.' Not that these aren't important, of course! But having to decide whether to drive your APC over muddy ground because it MIGHT get you there faster and it MIGHT bog down is a great tradeoff-one which I feel adds to the emergent narrative in plot-minimalist games like Xenonauts.

</rant>

It would be great but it is beyond the scope of the game really.

It is also too late in development to rework the ground combat around something this deep.

I am not entirely sure the (pretty basic) game engine could handle it either, not without the team being able to modify it at least.

It is one of those things I would like to see in Xenonauts: Fear from the Depths or Xenonauts: Ragnarok though if they were ever to make such a thing :P

It would certainly imp0rove things over simply day/night.

Is that the gleam of a rifle barrel in the sunlight?

Pesky thunderstorm is playing havoc with the weapon systems

as mentioned, any vehicle going near any building a la Aliens.

Natural fog of war!

heavy rain obscuring the view, but promoting the use of any scanning equipment

mudslide covering the Chinook...well, maybe not that last one...

...and the sneaky Xenonaut Alpha team tip toe to the alien position across the ice flow. Stealthily, they take aim, careful not to draw reaction fire. Carefully they...Gahhh crevasse!!!!

Beta team take a deep breath and decide on a different approach to the alien position.