Permanent death no !

How would a non-"permadeath" system work? Would you be required to stock up on Phoenix Down potions before every mission?

the biggest factor in xcom is the equipment being used, you retain the tech level, and might even recover the equipment itself, so the loss of a troop, no matter how elite is significantly different than the games that actually coined the term permadeath (JRPGs). in those games when your character died it was game over, have to restart from the beginning, this game is nowhere close to that.
Yeah, if you take death out of a strategy game you're throwing both the immersion and difficulty out the window. This isn't an episode of Lassie or MacGuyver where you know your heroes will pull through and survive, it's a gritty fight to the death with an extraterrestrial invasion.

(Also, not to rub it in, but) Wow, never before have I seen a three page thread with absolutely no one agreeing with the OP :D .

How would a non-"permadeath" system work? Would you be required to stock up on Phoenix Down potions before every mission?

Yeah, if you take death out of a strategy game you're throwing both the immersion and difficulty out the window. This isn't an episode of Lassie or MacGuyver where you know your heroes will pull through and survive, it's a gritty fight to the death with an extraterrestrial invasion.

(Also, not to rub it in, but) Wow, never before have I seen a three page thread with absolutely no one agreeing with the OP :D .

In a non permadeath version the killed soldiers would merely be knocked out and unavailable for a while (longer then merely healing the damage I think). Didn't Extraterrestrials try this method? I know some X-com clone did. Maybe it was afterlight? As I recall that game didn't have any soldier recruitment screen. you just got 2 new "soldiers" as they came of age... Then lost one as he retired.

Didn't we have a thread where everyone disagreed with the OP because he wanted to have underwater missions since UFO:TFTD according to him had both land and underwater UFO recovery missions? (turned out he was playing a mod)

There have indeed been a few "X-Com" like games that used non-perma death on their soldiers, they were all fairly terrible in comparison to X-Com as well unfortunately (imo)

It took a mod for UFO: Extraterrestrials to enable permadeath for that game and it along with a bunch of other changes made it a MUCH more enjoyable experience though and actually not that bad.

I agree completely and wholeheartedly with the OP.

There, sorted that out for you ;)

For a game with small numbers of characters who are required to be around for the story to progress it can work.

Can't really thrown them into the grinder.

I still dislike it though because of the removal of perceived risk.

It is a bit of a lazy way to do things as well.

Didn't we have a thread where everyone disagreed with the OP because he wanted to have underwater missions since UFO:TFTD according to him had both land and underwater UFO recovery missions? (turned out he was playing a mod)

Wasn't that NastyNative? let me see...Underwater Missions

I thought Gorlom drowned him in the end :)

Perhaps Gauddlike can nip over there and agree with something, just to ensure we don;t have a thread where everyone is mean to the OP.

Extraterrestrials suffered for a lack of dead soldiers. It changed how you approached things tactically, how you approached risk generally, and removed a fair bit of immersion from the game.

I'd still recommend it, with the mods, for anyone who hasn't played it. I enjoyed it.

Hahaha I had forgotten how much bad blood there was in that thread... I still don't understand what made him feel every point I made was an attempt to attack him rather than trying to discuss with him. Or why I wasn't allowed to disagree with him in that thread.

The kind of person that does not want perma death is the same type of person that will use hacks and cheats.

Them people are not the type of people that like to do it the hard way.

Might just be someone who gets very attached to their soldiers and can't stand to let them die.

Permalife is easier than reloading missions ;)

I stand for permadeath too. I'm not sure if this have been implemented, but I think there should be a chance for a soldier to lose conciousness and survive sometimes. Probably this should require some healing (when the soldier is bleeding) from his teammates during a short period of time to save him life.

Soldiers do have a chance of surviving the mission (with 1% HP in the after-action report) when health is below 0, however it rapidly declines the lower it is. At -20HP there is no chance of survival.

Though maybe the abililty to heal casualties to increase their chance of survival could be implemented. They could continue to bleed after being downed so having a medic to stop it is important. After a certain threshold (-20 HP) nothing can be done.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh... Fond memories of Cpt. Thudd... He was useless with a gun... and due to being a psionic midget, he was just as likely to be unloading it into my own men... but he was strong like bull, dumb like pig, tough like bear, and he. would. never. die. I lost count of how many time he was horribly wounded storming alien ships with only a flare and a shock prod to call his own... Yet that man, that big blond, exceptionally vacant minded man refused to lie down... or at least refused to lie down any longer than those medics back at base made him. It got to the point I was unable to afford to bring him with my squads on missions anymore because I needed the space and couldn't afford to have him going all killy on my own men cause a bugger mind-zapped him. But having grown far too attached to him due to his refusal to die and stubborn loyalty (And he beat down a goddamn Chryssalid with a shock prod for chissakes!) I couldn't bring myself to put him down or fire him, so I 'retired' him to my main base, and kept him there telling myself that he held the position of Self Defense Trainer... beating the new recruits to within an inch of their lives so that they could take what ever those green bastards threw at them on the field... all with a big stupid grin on his face.

I miss Cpt. Thudd...

Edited by Transcendence

At normal level do not have permanent death. At hardest level I don't care.

Players at normal difficulty are not hardcore enough to survive the carnage! Have some pity !

I remember my first try at X-com UFO defence ... 3 aliens killed...lost 8 soldiers xD ..thats part of the charm ..I'm sorry. It is rightfully a cruel game even from the start and it must be so.

Ahh... Fond memories of Cpt. Thudd... He was useless with a gun... and due to being a psionic midget, he was just as likely to be unloading it into my own men... but he was strong like bull, dumb like pig, tough like bear, and he. would. never. die. I lost count of how many time he was horribly wounded storming alien ships with only a flare and a shock prod to call his own... Yet that man, that big blond, exceptionally vacant minded man refused to lie down... or at least refused to lie down any longer than those medics back at base made him. It got to the point I was unable to afford to bring him with my squads on missions anymore because I needed the space and couldn't afford to have him going all killy on my own men cause a bugger mind-zapped him. But having grown far too attached to him due to his refusal to die and stubborn loyalty (And he beat down a goddamn Chryssalid with a shock prod for chissakes!) I couldn't bring myself to put him down or fire him, so I 'retired' him to my main base, and kept him there telling myself that he held the position of Self Defense Trainer... beating the new recruits to within an inch of their lives so that they could take what ever those green bastards threw at them on the field... all with a big stupid grin on his face.

I miss Cpt. Thudd...

Quite a story. This is what makes a game great. When you have such vivid and fond memories.

That said, as a general rule I don't save/load during battles and I can live with some losses.

But if a mission goes catastrophicly bad I probably will reload.

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, Zarr said:

Is there a mod to disable the permant death? Maybe with a long healing time for fallen soldiers? Any news?

You can open a topic at XCE forums here and want it to implemented. As i know th survive possibility of a soldier from death is hardcoded. XCE, @Solver can make it softcode and we can have our soldiers alive mostly after battles.

Cant you simply:

<soldierUnrecoverableHitPoints value="-9999" comment="Soldiers whose health is at or below this number will never be recovered" />
  <soldierBaseRecoveryChance value="9999" comment="The base recovery chance at 0 HP. This is B in the recovery formula" />
  <soldierRecoveryDecreaseCoefficient value="0.0" comment="Recovery chance drops by this many percent for every HP below zero - this is C in the formula" />

?

Try that and every soldier should recover. Thats the gameconfig.

This doesnt mitigate overdamage kills though.

Edited by Charon