VIP Extraction & armed citizens...?

Feel free to shoot these ideas down like a light scout UFO ;)

Might be nice to have a bit of variation in mission type from the Xcom template such as retrieve or rescue the VIP (nation leader/scientist/object of importance). This could look like or be coded like the person/object is in the middle of map (or hidden but would need good alien AI) and you need to move a member of you squad beside person/object to gain control of it (pick up object, person "joins" squad). Mission end when squad is dead (doh!) or person/object is moved back to landing craft (don't leave your squad behind) and perhaps the stand by of "kill all hostiles" (I'd almost like this not to be an option as getting vip secured should be the only victory). Perhaps have a continual wave of aliens so victory by killing everything isn't an option (balance possible item/tec gains by only getting what you carry out on your squad members) and adds to urgency.

I think this would complement the game style as well as break up the shoot down/raid for tec cycle that can get monotonous.

Also an avenue for unique rewards.

VIP/VIO (very important object) rewards:

Nation Leader: Better relations or "free" base (just a starter? or some upgrades?)

Scientist: +1 base scientist or new/unique research tec

Commando: +1 experienced solider

Object: unique vehicle (Mech from japan :D ) or new/unique research tec

-All of the above could have story driving rewards (aka info on aliens)

Bonus:

Armed citizens? So it turns out all those gun collecting survivalist were right! Where are they at? (Almost) just kiding but it would be nice to have variation in how citizens act. Having one grab equipment from a fallen squad member/alien/national guard would be interesting. Ok I already know this will not get done (too many sprites) but a citizen getting mad and throwing stuff (rocks to poor effect, fire bombs?) would spice things up (and not need too many sprites).

Thanks for the reading time,

-Mr. Gingerbread

RE: Armed Civvies.

Partially in game. Farmers (on the Farm tile set) will start sporting shotguns as you progress through the game. Dunno if Chris is going to have them get better guns as the game progresses though like the AI Soldiers will.

Ah, that reminds me: I'm still hoping for Mindcontrol missions where the local forces has been turned into mindslaves by some alien device (that you have to destroy or turn off as a victory condition obviously). Killing the local forces gives you minus points in the after action report so you have to stun or avoid as many as possible if you want a positive end score.

lol i loved the mech from japan part.

Terrified Pink Neko Girl in school outfit: "Commander, the aliens are upons us!"

Neurotic awe-inspiring moustached leader:"It is time to launch the Space-Monkey-Anihilator!!!" (with many aggressive if not insane body motions and a bead of sweat running on his forehead).

But yeah those would all be great and i'd love seeing them in the game if not in a DLC.

Which reminds me will there be DLC at all for Xenonauts? I can't say I'm familiar how is that typical for indy games.

I agree. And I do love your suggestions about VIPs.

Moreover, maybe Chris's team could add some stress in the game. For now, every mission (including terror) is very immersive, but I don't feel in a rush. Adding a turn countdown could be interesting. For instance, in a terror mission, the countdown could signal the time left before a Nuke is launched. In a regular alien's UFO landing, this could be the time before UFO leaves the place.

Otherwise, the countdown could just be a ticker to get more or less points at the end of the mission. Let us say, we grant an extra 10 points, and every turn needed reduces this "bonus" by 1, wich can be negative.

Considering the engine issues, and the time this has all taken, I'd not begrudge the dev team form running in a different direction. Still, it would be nice if they kept their hand in to upgrade things, and hopefully it will be profitable enough for them to do so.

The ting is, if the patch was to be released as a new version then it could be sold as a sepperate game and as such it could charge more cash.

Essinentily this would mean extra cash in there pocket for a game that they have already got there eye in.

Chris has said before that, apart from bug fixes, he will be happy to move on to his next project once this one is complete and released.

If there is money and time enough involved he may be persuaded to do something with this game but not if it takes his team away from their next job.

I can't see them dedicating time to messing about with this game much after release.

There just isn't that much incentive.

Yup, hopefully there will be enough added in the final release to add to from a modding point of view to give the game legs in the longer run. But it's going to look better of everyone's cv if they have a number of games under their belts and not just endless tweaking of Xenonauts.

I would rather have the game as designed and then in time new expansions at an extra cost.

other wise the game would always be in the state of development.

I'm also anxious to start playing the beta/final. But, the idea of kickstarting expansions for a game we haven't really seen yet is exciting and potentially disappointing at the same time. I am more confident then ever before that after 18 years??? Xenonauts is going to be the first to deliver... what many have hoped for and been disappointed by in the past (as well as introduce many new players to the genre).

But I agree, as much as I'm a wishful thinker for new "stuff" lets stop feature creep that does not add substantial value to the existing vision. When the expansion kickstarter starts - I'm certain I'll contribute.

RE: Armed Civvies.

Partially in game. Farmers (on the Farm tile set) will start sporting shotguns as you progress through the game. Dunno if Chris is going to have them get better guns as the game progresses though like the AI Soldiers will.

I haven't yet seen this, but find it a welcome addition - although I think NPC's be they farmers (shotgun), police (pistol), etc. should only be equipped with appropriate human weapons. Maybe the military might have some greater flexibility but I should think Xenonauts would have exclusive access to the best human/alien hybrid weapons available.