The game will use neither method. Instead it will use submaps pieced together to generate semi random maps. I suggest you read http://xenowiki.goldhawkinteractive.com/index.php?title=Mapping:_Creating_new_in-game_battlefields for more information.

As for how many maps will be in the game. It's hard to tell. The game includes a level editor so the community wil be able to help improve the number of maps and submaps.

Edited by Gorlom

The game will use neither method. Instead it will use submaps pieced together to generate semi random maps. I suggest you read http://xenowiki.goldhawkinteractive.com/index.php?title=Mapping:_Creating_new_in-game_battlefields for more information.

As for how many maps will be in the game. It's hard to tell. The game includes a level editor so the community wil be able to help improve the number of maps and submaps.

Thanks for the reply, should probably research these things before I post. Couldn't see the game being much of a challenge once you'd played all the maps several times. Obviously with the current build there are only two maps. The community driven aspect sounds good as well. Would have a go myself but I know from experience that its not easy.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I'm writing a translator so do not swear. =)

If I understand correctly mehonizm a level, then it turns out -

There is a sample card templates are available and the level of properties per which the future will be a lot of options. But is not this make the game dull. After all, I loved the old X-com for the fact that every fight was not like another. And here the whole time alternating four-level maps. not easier to do the good old way of generating the level of similarity to the same X-com or urban simulation.

Very difficult to read.

The translator doesn't work well ;)

I will try to answer in simple sentences that the translator will understand.

There will be a lot of levels.

Many more than four.

I would be surprised if it was less than thirty for each level type (industrial, farm, desert...).

Each section of each level will be randomised.

There will also be many different options for each section.

The objective location and start location can also move each time.

You would not play exactly the same level twice.

New levels can also be added easily.

X-com was not random.

If it was random you would not get houses and areas that looked the same.

It had some random elements.

I think I could understand you.

I know that the X-com was created poposchyu elimentov system. But there algortim this could create some very interesting maps.

In Xenonauts I was not able to accurately convey how I understand it allgoritm.

If the proposal is unreadable, please tell what.

Если знаете русский, еще лучше.. =)

the original xcom just split the map into equal parts, i.e. 4x4 or whatever.

Each part would then be randomly picked from a list of smaller maps.

So each time you play a farm mission there might be barns in different places, and different combinations of fields, but after a while all the farms feel the same.

The system used in xenonauts is similar in concept. The difference is that instead of splitting the map up into equal parts someone (the map designer) places submap types (smaller maps grouped together by a theme) of differing sizes in some combination to produce a basic layout, i.e. a road down the middle with buildings one side and fields down the other.

The key concept is that the actual submaps that are used when this level is loaded during the game are picked from any submap in the folder used to store those submap types.

So as an example: submap type "6x6 building" could contain discrete submaps for: a shop, a bank, an apartment, a library etc.

The level designer can then place 4 building types in a row, and each time the level is loaded it could be one of any combination

shop, bank, apartment, library

shop, shop, shop, shop

bank, shop, bank, shop

library, shop, bank, apartment

bank, shop, shop, shop

apartment, apartment, apartment, apartment

apartment, apartment, shop, shop

you get the idea?

The problem with the levels we have at the moment is that there are only one or possibly two submaps for each submap type, and those submap types have only been laid out in one or two basic maps. There are two reasons for this as I understand it: firstly the technology behind the submaps is being worked on, as things change all the old submaps would need to be reworked each time something changed. Secondly making the maps and submaps take a lot of time and the devs have been waiting for the level designer to start as it makes more sense for them to work on the technology of the game and not the maps as that is their speciality.

I am hoping the level designer decides to go with split submaps.

Designing five 10x10 buildings gives you five options.

If you split them down the middle you can have each half generated from the list randomly.

You now have five 5x10 north sides and five 5x10 south sides.

That gives you 25 options for the same amount of work.

All you have to do is make sure they have a common centre line so there is no awkward join.

A simple set of rules will make sure you still have buildings that make sense.

For example the northern half always has the stairs to the second floor, the southern half always has the door to the outside, no walls that cross the join etc.