Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Corporal Hicks

Prometheus

24 posts in this topic

HI!

Well, yesterday I watched this movie, and man!! IT gave me goose bumps all the time!

What a great movie!!

Now I'm fuc^*$ng dying to see the sequel!!!!

Saw it several days ago. Sadly I''m already worn out from discussing it. I'll just say I found it to be ok to good but dragged down by unnecessary Hollywood clichés and patterns. But it has potential and I'm looking forward to any continuation.

I'm also curious to see if it's truly a prequel or more of a reboot of the series. Also if you happen upon the "space Jesus" theory, just ignore it. Mr. Scott said that it's only something they considered but did not end up going with.

Haven't caught it yet sadly.

As I understood it, it's supposed to happen in between Aliens and Alien 3 timeline wise?

I gave it a 6.5 out of 10.

The visual effects were awesome, the set designs were rather brilliant, and the imagery used was also pretty boss. Sound was good too.

The plot, and more importantly, the characters, weren't very good. The film does great until the sandstorm, which is the tipping point for events, then it falls on its face.

*spoilers*

*spoilers*

*spoilers*

I personally found the big issues to be plot related and in no particular order:

*Vickers' death. Even a brain dead idiot would have realised a 90 degree turn and running a couple of meters would be all you need to escape being crushed, completely stupid for someone who is meant to be cold and calculated and very high up and big corporation. Should have survived that and perhaps got beaten to death by the Engineer inside the life boat.

The entire scene was idiotic though, ships wouldn't crash like that.

*The biologist, Milburn. Faced with a dead but preserved alien, decided to flee with the scared geologist Fifield. Unexpected from someone who's meant to be top of their field and obviously would have been vetted strongly before being sent to sleep for two years to a distant part of the galaxy. Then later on decides to try and make friends with a living alien lifeform, even with the knowledge that something bad happened where they were thanks to the holograms, and it being completely at odds with his actions earlier.

*The ship's Captain, Janek. As per his previous statements saying the ship+crew was his highest concern and the fact they're on a alien planet in the middle of nowhere, doesn't need any convincing to blow it up, essentially just shrugs and goes "alright" when told to do it.

*The poisoning/infection of Holloway served no purpose. It also made no sense why David did it, nor was it explained how he got the container past everyone else and onto the ship. It was quite big.

*The entire David character. Far too obvious he was one of the antagonists. Turned out to be a poor copy of Ash from Alien, but without the reveal he wasn't human.

Character could have been brilliant if he wasn't an antagonist and if the film had spent a lot more time asking about the nature of his creation.

The conversation he had with Holloway about creation ("Why did you create?" "Because we could") I thought was going to be a brilliant starting off point for social commentary, instead it was simply passing conversation.

*Shaw's pregnancy/alien. The entire thing was a build up to the end alien. Waste of time and unneeded. 3 months pregnant in 12 hours was also very stupid.

Although the lead up to her and Holloway having sex was an awesome bit of commentry on creation.

**spoilers end**

In short, unless there's a Special or Directors Edition (and like Lord of the Rings) it turns out they had to cut a large amount of finished scenes for the theatrical version, I can't really give it high marks.

Edited by Buzzles

As I understood it, it's supposed to happen in between Aliens and Alien 3 timeline wise?

No. 80 or 90 years before Alien.

I get your points, Buzzles, but even so, I think it was a great movie. A directors cut would be really great!! I give it a 9 out of 10.

AS for David infecting Holloway, I know it wasn't clear, but I'm pretty sure that Weyland asked him to do it, maybe just to see what would happen. David kept talking with him, even thoug he was in stasis, there's a scene where he's talking to him right next to the stasis thing. (I'm assuming it).

Yes, Vickers death was really stupid! I said to my girlfriend "why they don't simply run sideways? lol". Dunno, they didn't show her dead, maybe she could have survived somehow.

The ship falling was alright for me, we don't know if the ship's energy (engines??) was completely turned off by the impact? Maybe there was energy enough for a safe emergency landing, so it wouldn't fall like a rock.

The beggining of the movie was really enigmatic too, no explanations at all, I just understood it after reading some discussion on the internet, where they assumed that the Engineers sacrificed himself to create mankind.

Yes, it's really weird that three man would accept go Kamikaze that easily!! lol But who knows, Shaw was convincing enough that they would have no place to go back too...

The alien baby thing was really weird too... That squid looked really retarded, could have been something more horrific. I don't think that's Giger work.

But the most idiotic part was when that guy wanted to pet the snake alien, shit! As if you were gonna pat a naja looking alien that came out of a black goo where people have died! "Here kitty kitty! lol

AS for David infecting Holloway, I know it wasn't clear, but I'm pretty sure that Weyland asked him to do it, maybe just to see what would happen. David kept talking with him, even thoug he was in stasis, there's a scene where he's talking to him right next to the stasis thing. (I'm assuming it).

See, that explaination is at odds with the film, David explicitly states he can watch a person's dreams when they're in stasis. As to dream you need to be asleep, Wayland cannot possibly have been giving him orders.

I'm suprised even though you agree with just some of the faults I've posted that you're still giving it a 9/10. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, but I certainly think this will not go down as a classic (which is what I'd class 9 and 10/10's as).

Edit:

This is worth watching:

Edited by Buzzles

The script is just horrible full stop. Not only does it contain plotholes and logical fallacies that would embarass a slashfiction writer, there is also little to no expalantion nor continuity to people's actions, capabilities and motivations. Stuff just seem to happen at random as the story progression demands it, never to be referred to again.

Examples: The captain of a "Trillion dollar ship" brings it into the atmosphere of an alien world from the word go, picking a suitable landing spot on the descent into the atmosphere. Which luckily turns out to be the only point of interest on a planetoid large enough to sustain an atmosphere as well as earthlike gravity. The cave expert that's responsible for mapping the facility getting lost immediatly walking in a straight line towards the exit. People remove their helmets despite being inside an alien facility and even knowing full well there's an unknown pathogen around. The craven biologist suddenly turns into the fucking crocodile hunter after having spent the better part of the movie putting as much space as possible between him and the unknown. The captain/corporate officer have sex offscreen because whatever. David poisons that other archealogist because this is a R. Scott movie and there just have to be a two-faced android in it. People spout platitudes about the existence of god and wave around crucifixes, but again it has zero relevance to what happens onscreen. The billionaire philantropist tags along in secret despite having literally everyone on the ship on his payroll. Ostensibly this is because the Rapace's and that other guy are in charge of the operation but they never take charge except to protest people bringing guns when exploring. Rapace's character declares she's infertile to her husband of several years mere minutes before getting her uterus-ex-machina implanted because again, hey, Alien movie needs fear-of-birth themes.

Speaking of which, the most idiotic part of that travesty has got to be the entire ceasarean sequence. Nobody cares that Rapace's character assaults fellow members of the crew and escapes the sickbay. Nobody follows her. Short of a one-liner from David nobody seems to process what's happened as she rejoins the crew, nor that there is a live alien aboard the ship. It might as well not have happened up until the movie's climax, at which point the fetus have grown several hundred times it original size in hours on a steady diet of nothing. Also: Rapace's character only suffering minor discomfort throughout the rest of the movie from having her belly cut open and -stapled- together. Must've been some painkiller.

Interestingly enough, a few places are reporting nearly 30 minutes were cut for the theatrical release.

That's a fair bit of movie.

The script is just horrible full stop. Not only does it contain plotholes and logical fallacies that would embarass a slashfiction writer, there is also little to no expalantion nor continuity to people's actions, capabilities and motivations. Stuff just seem to happen at random as the story progression demands it, never to be referred to again.

I just saw it, and I came here to make the post Infinitum made, so thanks for making it for me (I literally hit my head when everyone decided that taking off their helmets was a great idea).

I have some stuff to add though - like the whole sequence with the infected scientist not being allowed to return to the ship. The movie missed a huge opportunity to have sympathetic characters by letting him on board in quarantine and having him turn zombie-evil later as a result. Instead we get the unlikable captain burning him to death and nobody much caring about it except his wife, after which they just leave the body outside instead of analyzing it (missing an opportunity for some exposition about this being a bio-weapon development site), and then when it COMES BACK TO LIFE and they kill it again, they STILL don't think it's worth checking out. They just re-kill him and move on.

It's one thing when you don't create characters that the audience cares about - it's another when the characters don't give a crap about each other. After the zombie-biologist wipes out a third of the crew, there's no serious reassessment of priorities or arguments about whether to abort the mission or not - they just carry on without much notice of the event. There's only 17 crew here, and at the end of that sequence they've lost about 6 or 7 people.

The other truly mad thing was Weyland including himself in the ship's crew. We've got cryogenic freezing here, and rather than just stay frozen on Earth for however long a cryogenic system can go for, this guy thinks that his best shot is to fly out to an alien planet referenced by cave paintings in the hopes that they're rockin' the secret of immortality out there? It'd only take another couple years for this 'last best hope' ship to come back to Earth with whatever it found, and he could spend the whole time safe on Earth waiting for the much more likely cure to whatever ails him.

I'm just floored that people can spend over a hundred million dollars on a movie like this but not hire a scriptwriter who actually thinks about what's happening. The actual plot - explorers travel to alien planet to discover it's a bioweapon facility intended to destroy earth - is not a bad premise at all. But the execution and characters were mindbogglingly stupid. If you're sending a ship on an interstellar journey with the objective of finding alien life, you pick the best people you can find for it - because you don't want a geologist or a biologist who freaks out at a dead alien, let alone a live one.

Final complaint - the woman archaeologist can't have kids? Really? Look at the fertility treatments and cloning methods we have now. You think in another 70 years there aren't going to be some rather exceptional methods for having a kid?

The original Alien and Aliens were much better movies, and are still the only two in the series worth watching.

At least this movie was better than Alien Resurrection.

But seriously guys, sometimes we just have to "go with it", for the sake of fun, it's science FICTION.

I know some things are really retarded, but it is like this in all movies.

Same thing here with Xenonauts, the Realism x Gameplay debate.

But seriously guys, sometimes we just have to "go with it", for the sake of fun, it's science FICTION.

I know some things are really retarded, but it is like this in all movies.

It is called suspention of disbelief. It does not excuse shitty scripts.

The notion of the enemys not attacking with all their forces at once in xenonauts is explained, and suspention of disbelief allows us to accept that in order foe the games story to work. <-- suspention of disbelief works

If the notion of the enemys not attacking with all their forces at once in xenonauts would have been explained with: "The more powerful aliens are too busy having a massive orgy in orbit". We would just dismiss the script as rubbish. <-- suspention of disbelief does not kick in because there is nothing feasible to support it, and thus suspention of disbelief can't save the script. Aka you can't just "roll with it". See how it works?

Edited by GoodGuyEddy

I didn't really like it, to be honest. It felt like they made the movie to be AWESUM rather than try tell a coherant story".

It's like they decided to make the movie, and then wrote a bunch of sceans that would be cool and string them together, instead of writing a story, deciding on making the movie, and then creating the sceans..... Ya know?

Count me as another who thought it was stupid. I went in with high hopes and came out really disappointed - as did most of the people who saw it in the theater with me, judging from the laughter at the final scene.

** SPOILERS ** (though this thread has already turned spoiler-y)

** SPOILERS **

** SPOILERS **

Most of my points have been made above but, at root, my issue is that suspension of disbelief doesn't mean acceptance of people doing stupid things. As has been argued many times here in one thread or another, if you were dealing with aliens, first contact, etc., you would send the best of the best. If you were spending a trillion dollars, you would also train those people and organize them and have some semblance of a plan, not have _one_ guy on security with a gun and let the scientist tell him, "nah, stay inside the ship, we don't need security." Other examples are biologist guy with the snake thing, the captain being all "I'll personally lead this rescue team this time" and later "hey, the dead guy's suit is right outside our ship. Let's open the door" (seriously, in 2093, no one has watched the past 100 years of horror movies?) and, for that matter, mapping scientist guy with his fancy mapping drones... getting lost on his way out? Really, seriously, you don't have a way to jack into that map YOU JUST CREATED? Spent a trillion and fifty dollars and get that mapping software package next time.

I could go on but, again... just don't be stupid. I'll believe that aliens exist, that the universe works the way you say it does, etc., etc. - that's the beauty of science fiction and why I love the genre. You can make up crazy stuff and explore ideas - and even put our heroes into some really bad situations - because you control the rules. Just don't insult me by making people do totally stupid stuff that most of us wouldn't do, let alone supposedly Earth's best and brighest. Make up a tough situation, show people doing everything they can against it and still coming up short. That resonantes a whole lot more than any of the silliness in this movie. Removing your helmets, really, seriously?

Also, random Q: why did all the cave paintings paint them to this particular star system? The implication was that the planet ended up being either a military depot/factory and/or a crash site where the Engineers got stuck and killed. Why did they leave all these signs to come meet them there (back in the day, presumably before they planned to visit us with the black good)? Why wouldn't they have pointed the way to one of their civilized planets? Was the plan to just have us meet up on the barren moon planet in case we were trouble and then if we were worth it, they'd take us closer to the heart of their civilization? I guess I'd buy that - was that your take on it?

-Kilrathi

I think this movie is one of those love it or hate it things...

I enjoyed the movie, even with those stupid things, I think it´s a solid sci-fi movie. I´m really looking foward to the sequel, really curious about what Shaw and DAvid gonna do when they reach the engineers homeworld.

IF they have done everything "right" (being cautious, taking armed man, a military scort ship, etc...) then the movie would be boring, no one would die, there would be no action, it would be like a documentary.

Come on, the ALIENS script is really dumb, and this doesn´t make it a bad movie, in fact it´s one of my favorites.

In ALIEN, the astronaut kneels over the pulsating egg, sticks his head when the damn thing opens... really stupid. They showed the engineer fossilized on that chair, wich didn´t contribute nothing to the plot and only arose questions wich were only answered nowadays.

I disagree with you on a couple of points:

Alien was good plotwise, certainly not stupid with having the crew having to deal with an unforseen event, the fallout from it, and the eventual realisation they'd been sold out by their employers and had a traitor onboard (Ash).

Yes, Kane playing around with the eggs wasn't the brightest of ideas on a decision front, but it wasn't a stupid part of the plot. The man was a space trucker who'd been diverted to explore this wreck by his employers on the proviso if he didn't he wouldn't get paid, also, he wouldn't have had a bloody clue as to what they were and his curiosity got the better of him.

Aliens was simple (investigation goes wrong -> escape) but it wasn't dumb: seasoned Marines dealing with a new and green CO, over confidence and disbelief of warnings, Burke trying to screw them over etc. It also had top notch characters who importantly, handled the situation evolving around them in a sort of realistic way. Aliens infact, did it "right". They still died, rather horribly, and it's a bloody great film.

actually before alien. the "beacon" warning signal was a match, thus the clue. Also I checked the Alien producer, is the same person producing prometheus.

I only say. for the sake of discussion...

A) close to ending, we know there is a "life boat" running. and in Alien movie, where is it?? wouldn't (I forget the name of the miner ship) detect that lifeboat first, not the horse-shoe ship? hey remember the beacon message, sounded the same as the ending of prometheus.

B) in that prometheus, that 'bad robotti' (not using his name, nuff said) said there are few ships... (what the F*^%$), in the second alien movie storyline... they built a nuclear power reactor down there and what about the other few??? clearly worst disconnect here.

C) if they went off in search for the original "creator"... would there be a second sequel (prior to alien) maybe creators attempt to clean up the mess?? (this assumption will make alien the 3rd sequel)

D) remember star wars sequel being out of whack trick... this is the vibe i am getting.

E) finally, someone need to rewatch alien movie... is Weyland Corporation owner of that mining ship??

It takes place in the same timeline as the alien movies (the corporation from those is the merged Weyland-Yutani corp.), but doesn't take place on LV-426 (and not on the same crashed ship).

actually before alien. the "beacon" warning signal was a match, thus the clue. Also I checked the Alien producer, is the same person producing prometheus.

I only say. for the sake of discussion...

A) close to ending, we know there is a "life boat" running. and in Alien movie, where is it?? wouldn't (I forget the name of the miner ship) detect that lifeboat first, not the horse-shoe ship? hey remember the beacon message, sounded the same as the ending of prometheus.

B) in that prometheus, that 'bad robotti' (not using his name, nuff said) said there are few ships... (what the F*^%$), in the second alien movie storyline... they built a nuclear power reactor down there and what about the other few??? clearly worst disconnect here.

C) if they went off in search for the original "creator"... would there be a second sequel (prior to alien) maybe creators attempt to clean up the mess?? (this assumption will make alien the 3rd sequel)

D) remember star wars sequel being out of whack trick... this is the vibe i am getting.

E) finally, someone need to rewatch alien movie... is Weyland Corporation owner of that mining ship??

Prometheus is set on LV-223 (and nearly 100 years before).

Alien and Aliens involved LV-426.

Different planets chap :)

As for E: In Prometheus it's Wayland Industries I think. In Alien and after, it's Wayland-Yutani Corporation (or, "The Company"), which is a mega corp formed via the merger of the two.

Now I've just skimmed this thread to avoid spoilers, but I must say I'm a tad disappointed. I got high hopes for this flick when I learned it was a prequel to the Alien films. Seems like I won't be checking it out in the theaters after all, then.

At least I saved roughly 10$, always something.

Now I've just skimmed this thread to avoid spoilers, but I must say I'm a tad disappointed. I got high hopes for this flick when I learned it was a prequel to the Alien films. Seems like I won't be checking it out in the theaters after all, then.

At least I saved roughly 10$, always something.

It's not a prequel, it's related somehow, but it's not a direct prequel.

You will be missing a good sci fi movie, I wouldn't do that If I were you.