Terror Mission Sadtimes

So...I was just trying out my first (short-lived) play-through of the demo yesterday, and things started going to crap pretty quickly. I kept asploding all of the enemy craft instead of forcing them to crash, and I was slow on the up-take as to how air combat worked, so I was burning through a lot of MiGs and F17s, which meant I was also burning through lots of cash.

My base was on Crete, which gave me great coverage of Europe (including Iceland) and Northern Africa, as well as much of the Middle East.

However, the alien presence in the western hemisphere was running rampant, completely unchecked, and eastern Asia was getting pounded. Ah well. Guess they shoulda given me more money so I could have made some bases!

Anyway, after a good month of just getting embarrassed by the aliens, and maybe 2 months since my last ground mission occurred, a Terror Mission erupts in Cuba! Oh happy day, calloo, callay! Finally something I can send my troops to handle!

Ah. Hold on. About 90% of the way there, my Chinook has to turn around because it's low on fuel. :/

That sucks.

So my questions are thus: are Terror Missions more likely to break out in areas of the world which are receiving no UFO defense, or is it random?

Seeing as how Chinooks do have a limited flight range, at what point should I start thinking about building another base? I read an FAQ on X-Com suggesting that once you have a "spare" $4 million, that would be a good time to make another base. However, while many things in Xenonauts seem to translate directly from X-Com, it does seem like the Xenonauts budget is bit tighter than its predecessor.

Considering that alien activity moves along happily whether you have a base in an area or not, it seems like the game should encourage (enable) us to expand. I understand why your funding decreases if you perform crappily, but perhaps early-game, countries which are getting a lot of alien attention would want to increase funding to try and entice the player to build a base in their area, and provide some protection?

(And one other kind of throw-away thought I had was about alternate funding-sources. Perhaps the player could opt to sell alien tech to evil corporations for a great profit, but at the risk of those corporations making demands on the Xenonauts down the road. Probably too much trouble to implement for not enough reward, but I'm getting pretty desperate for cash, so...wishful thinking!)

In the current build, I build another base right away with the cash I have on-hand at the beginning of the game. Due to the low profit margins each month, it would take several months to generate enough cash to equal your starting amount, so I figure there's no better time except to start early, and you'll be protecting a second area of the globe (at least with interception capability, a ground team may have to wait) within the first month.

I agree with Comassion. The most effective strategy I have found so far is to build a base somewhere in or near Europe, then straight away build a base in North America. As research items are sent stright to the lab, and you don't yet need alien alloys or alienium, sell everything you get from downed UFOs and you can make back $300,000 - $500,000 per UFO. I always try and get a third base by the second month, and put that one in Australia. That way, I can then respond to any terror mission that arises.

Actually, I think it's not a bug. If you fail to pay the wages 2 months in a row it's game over!!
He is talking about the order in which you pay wags and recieve funding from nations. It seems werrid (weirder then weird) that people get pissy about getting their wages 5 minutes late when the fate of the world is at stake... I could understand it if it was a week or so but anything under an hour?

He is talking about the order in which you pay wags and recieve funding from nations. It seems werrid (weirder then weird) that people get pissy about getting their wages 5 minutes late when the fate of the world is at stake... I could understand it if it was a week or so but anything under an hour?

lol

The 2nd base at the 1st month of play is realy the best strategy imho. Building up a NA and EU defense seems the best way to go to secure funding and reduce the alien "stress" on those important regions of the globe.

I do think that the chinook has too limited range though. Normaly because i like to build bases across the globe for detection & interception capabilities and just maintain a main base (normaly EU) for the research, soldiers, workshops, etc, like a super "main-base" but that strategy goes down the toilet with the troop transport very limited range.

I believe that limited range was put in the game to realy encourage players to have multiple soldier squads spread all over the world, but i think thats probably forcing the players to a particular playstyle wich should be avoided in order for the game to have more diversity in players' tastes.

It also decreases the sense that you are fighting globably wich is a big thing for the game imho, the feeling that for example an European base could help in an australian incident (even if they reach it only 24 hours later) is kinda important for immersion as it hints that we are all humans and doesnt matter where we come from, we help fight in the entire planet.

Edited by Knightpt

I dunno. I think this type of game is going to appeal to a specific type of player, and it's a type of player which will generally appreciate a challenge based on comparative realism.

I think it's by design that early on, there are going to be plenty of incidents to which the player is simply unable to respond. It's necessary to always be researching new technology and expanding the Xenonaut organization in order to cope with an overwhelming threat.

And I'm pretty sure Chris has explicitly stated that he's trying to prevent players from having the option to build a few radar bases, and just have one real combat-response base. I definitely appreciate that.

I think you'll have the option to send teams from one end of the Earth to the other by the end of the game. And likely you'll have one (or two) base(s) which are far more advanced than the others. But as the premise of the game is a threat to the world, it's important that the entire world is equipped to deal with the threat.

How about this, keep the Chinook having it's limited range, but be able to research / build better transport vehicles, for example, one may hold less people but be able to go for longer due to the decreased weight. It seems kind of silly that if you have a whole team armed with futuristic armour and weaponry you still fly around in a Chinook.

iMuzzaa, your suggestion has been implemented. There will be new dropships after the Chinook. How do I know? You already possess the answer.

Yes sure, but I doubt it will hold less people then the Chinook.

How about this, keep the Chinook having it's limited range, but be able to research / build better transport vehicles, for example, one may hold less people but be able to go for longer due to the decreased weight. It seems kind of silly that if you have a whole team armed with futuristic armour and weaponry you still fly around in a Chinook.

We had this smaller transport suggested in another thread as well somewhere. I just think that terror missions should be hard/near suicidal with a full team already, so only being able to reach it with a smaller team in the early game seems... like a bad choice.

So my questions are thus: are Terror Missions more likely to break out in areas of the world which are receiving no UFO defense, or is it random?

As far as I am aware it is random, first time I got a Terror mission, it occured in Tokyo and it was beyond my Chinooks operating range. The next time it occured a stone's-throw away from my Egypt base, which occured in Italy.

Chinooks themselves can go about 5-10% beyond radar coverage, so what I do is attempt to locate my bases as close as possible to the center of the map.

Edited by Animal Mother

Terrifying :P

yeah, what he said.

* According to Chris, terror missions are supposed to be hard, but we do not know, just how hard they will be in the end. Right now you spend most of your turns watching your guys panicking (like picknicking, but with people dying) around. I hope that this will be adjusted some time down the road. Until then, don't get too attached to your soldiers, or your campaign.

(* Written when stone drunk, so when in doubt, disregard)

Leo

yeah, what he said.

* According to Chris, terror missions are supposed to be hard, but we do not know, just how hard they will be in the end. Right now you spend most of your turns watching your guys panicking (like picknicking, but with people dying) around. I hope that this will be adjusted some time down the road. Until then, don't get too attached to your soldiers, or your campaign.

My men didn't panic, but they did spend most of their time killing civilians who would randomly run into a crossfire, can't wait to see how they respond to a pineapple "punch"

Also I noticed that Chris wants to implement assault shields into the game. Would it be possible to grab a civilian and use them as a shield.

My men didn't panic, but they did spend most of their time killing civilians who would randomly run into a crossfire, can't wait to see how they respond to a pineapple "punch"

Also I noticed that Chris wants to implement assault shields into the game. Would it be possible to grab a civilian and use them as a shield.

We are playing the heroes, you know. :P