Sound design

I just tried the demo for the first time (haven't played any other builds) and I have a couple of suggestions for the sounds in the game. I'll keep adding sound suggestions as I find them. Perhaps this is something that's still very much in development, but I'll post them anyway:

• Base construction (facility completed): I was a bit surprised when I heard that harsh tone, only to see that my Living Quarters were completed. I think a lighter, more 'positive' sound would be more fitting to indicate progress. The harsher, more ominous sounds should be reserved for incoming threats and warnings.
  • Footsteps: Too loud and too crunchy. Footsteps shouldn't be the forefront of the soundscape imo.

A little more ambient sounds to set the immersion higher would be nice. Random sounds in the far background like what they did in Amnesia. Yes its a very diferent game, i know, but if its rare and random sounds far away, would be very interesting to set the mood. Heck, even alien sounds... would be freaky...

• 1 month later...

I think the human allies death sounds are too.. freaky, for lack of a better word. They almost sound inhuman. It's like they are drowning in their own saliva.

I'd also like a more directional sound for the "hidden movement" turn, it makes sense to me that when you can't see enemies, you can hear them walking around in the distance. Louder for close by, quieter the farther they are away. Should give a bit of a hint to distance and and direction of threats.

The music score, on the other hand, is very fitting. Mysterious and complex.

Ambient sound ideas:

* the occasional UFO flying over

* alien chatter (or a voice in your mind "don't shoot, we come in peace...") / human defence forces talking over walkie (depending on who's close)

* bleeps when inside a downed UFO

* panicky screams, "run for cover", "what's that? it's coming for us", "oh my god they killed Kenny" from civilians (perhaps region specific, depending in what nation the mission takes place)

I'll take notice when I'm back on tonight.

Changing the volume of steps depending on range from what?

The position of the screen, the nearest trooper, last selected trooper?

If more than one trooper can hear the footsteps then which would you use to determine the volume and how would the player know which was used?

Would you need to clear the hidden movement screen to show the person who was hearing the sound?

Not saying I don't agree, just curious as to how you would deal with it.

From the location of the screen. Perhaps show a "hidden movement" box, no longer full screen, so the player has situational awareness. It should be relative to the current view location.

For this to work the view location should not jump to where the (hidden) npcs are moving around.

I think the ambient background noise would be an excellent idea - the Close Combat series made very good use of that, as you could hear artillery and machine guns that sounded like they were in a nearby sector of the front. You would definitely want to make sound files specific to tilesets - would be somewhat disorienting to hear incessant mooing of cows in a city environment. But as an example, city combat would be made that much more authentic by the occasional police siren in the distance, trucks/trains/helicopters/jets passing, car alarms going off, muffled shouting, guns and/or death rays firing in the distance. Also consider day vs. night noises - i.e. crickets at night vs. birds in the daytime. It would go a very long way towards immersing you in the game world.

Maybe tie in the type of sounds with region relations / game progress. So in a region with good relations, you hear the ambient "human" sounds: sirens, train, cow, jets, shouting, machinegun, plenty shouting in semi distress). In a low relation area, you'd hear more deathrays, alien chatter, human screams in high distress, ufo flying over...

Depending on how far you want to take this, you can add in human computer sounds when a Xenonaut enters a building tile, and Alien bleeps when a Xenonaut enters an UFO. Or, when the fog of war over the UFO is revealed. Adds some tension when approaching the UFO, but it fades whenever the fog of war goes back over the UFO.

These should be background soundbits that blend in with the overall music score, so they can be "laid over" that score. You can add a percentage, eg 5 Xeno with sight on the UFO = 35% UFO related sounds, 3 Xeno inside a building = 15% building sounds, remaining 50% is generic sounds.

Sound is often overlooked (overheard?), but it is a mighty tool to add tension.

Maybe tie in the type of sounds with region relations / game progress. So in a region with good relations, you hear the ambient "human" sounds: sirens, train, cow, jets, shouting, machinegun, plenty shouting in semi distress). In a low relation area, you'd hear more deathrays, alien chatter, human screams in high distress, ufo flying over...

Depending on how far you want to take this, you can add in human computer sounds when a Xenonaut enters a building tile, and Alien bleeps when a Xenonaut enters an UFO. Or, when the fog of war over the UFO is revealed. Adds some tension when approaching the UFO, but it fades whenever the fog of war goes back over the UFO.

These should be background soundbits that blend in with the overall music score, so they can be "laid over" that score. You can add a percentage, eg 5 Xeno with sight on the UFO = 35% UFO related sounds, 3 Xeno inside a building = 15% building sounds, remaining 50% is generic sounds.

Sound is often overlooked (overheard?), but it is a mighty tool to add tension.

I agree a 100%. But i believe the game engine doesn't really offer the possibility as is. And this would require lots of extra work on coding and sound design here. I think right now the focus of the team is to make a great gameplay and a working game. Perhaps in a future game you'll have all of these features. Remember, this is Goldhawk Interactive's first game.

Would be bad design if it started playing before you could see the UFO. so maybe not hen you get close but hen you are inside it?
Well, I was thinking a few squares maybe five or so...I wouldn't want to hear it across town either, but then again, even if you could hear it the whole time you couldn't tell what direction it was. Edited by StellarRat

I must agree that the human death sounds are.. uh, a bit strange.

The overall soundscape is a bit sterile at the moment, so all kinds of small ambient background sounds would liven it up. For example, crickets and owl howling at night time farm missions, wind blowing, dog barking, stuff like that. Also radio chatter, explosions, sirens in city locations...

I would also welcome squad selection chatter in Jagged alliance or C&C style. It doesnt have to be anything complex, but something would be nice.

There needs to be JA -styled text after the hidden movement that xenonaut XX heared a (loud/definite/faint) (walking/explosion/gunfire) sound from direction XX. IMO THIS IS A MUST!!

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't played anything as I'm new here, but the atmosphere of a game is one that will really make or break a game for "remembrance". When I hear many 80's songs on the radio, I think of Vice City... when I hear many techno / electronica songs I think "that would fit in a Wipeout game"...

One thing that stood out in the X-Com games was the ambient music. Doing a mission and hearing that "knocking" song it'd be 3am, Snakemen and Chryssalids and then the "knock knock knock" after minutes of quiet background music. Believe me. It makes me smile thinking of it, but it was terrifying! lol.