Moonie

Skyrim is massive.

49 posts in this topic

Yeah I got it Too. Got a lvl26 Khajiit Archer/Thief.

I tried a mage too and although the mage's magic dmg output is alot higher than the archer's, I prefer the archer.

Magic in skyrim is so limited compared to previous incarnation... I just can't seem to find the diversity of it.

Dragons are much harder with the archer than the mage too, although I noticed Unrelenting Force (shout) is quite usefull to prevent a dragon from breathing you to death.

although I noticed Unrelenting Force (shout) is quite usefull to prevent a dragon from breathing you to death.

>< Why didn't I ever think of that. I just ran around stabbing it in the ribs.

>< Why didn't I ever think of that. I just ran around stabbing it in the ribs.

I always go for the face, think of it this way: If a bug is annoying YOU, what's worse the torso or the face? ;)

The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall is the biggest elder scrolls game in terms of actual landmass/areas in the game :P But details of the areas are obviously MUCH less in Daggerfall.

Wikipedia quote: "Bethesda claims that the scale of the game is equal to twice the size of Great Britain: around 487,000 square kilometers. The game world features over 15,000 towns, cities, villages, and dungeons for the player's character to explore. According to Todd Howard, Game Director and Executive Producer for Bethesda Game Studios, the game's sequel, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, is 0.01% the size of Daggerfall, but it should be noted most of Daggerfall's terrain was randomly generated. Vvardenfell, the explorable part of Morrowind in the third game has 10 square miles (25.9 square kilometers). The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has approximately 16 square miles (41.4 square kilometers) to explore. In Daggerfall, there are 750,000+ non-player characters (NPCs) for the player to interact with, compared to the count of around 1,000 NPCs found in Morrowind and Oblivion. However, the geography and the characters in these later games are much more detailed."

I'll also add that Daggerfall is the game I have spent most time playing out of all Bethesda games and I absolutely hated Oblivion (it became fairly ok I guess once you modded the hell out of it)

Further to that, the landmass of Skyrim is actually smaller than the landmass in Oblivion, though it's bigger than Morrowind. Skyrim simply *feels* bigger, due to all the mountains getting in the way and the shear abundance of stuff to do.

The size breakdown goes:

Daggerfall > Oblivion > Skyrim > Morrowind

But yes, Skyrim is the best Elder Scrolls game yet. I had some serious complaints about Oblivion and Morrowind - Skyrim, so far, has much fewer, though still many. For example, I don't care much for their UI design choices. Looking forward to the modding opportunities, though.

Yup, those dragons sure can't fight... among the easiest of the encounters, at least in a melee "build"

i can kill a dragon easy with my conjurer... but bear, sabre cats, and giants are a different story :(

The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall is the biggest elder scrolls game in terms of actual landmass/areas in the game :P But details of the areas are obviously MUCH less in Daggerfall.

Wikipedia quote: "Bethesda claims that the scale of the game is equal to twice the size of Great Britain: around 487,000 square kilometers. The game world features over 15,000 towns, cities, villages, and dungeons for the player's character to explore. According to Todd Howard, Game Director and Executive Producer for Bethesda Game Studios, the game's sequel, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, is 0.01% the size of Daggerfall, but it should be noted most of Daggerfall's terrain was randomly generated. Vvardenfell, the explorable part of Morrowind in the third game has 10 square miles (25.9 square kilometers). The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has approximately 16 square miles (41.4 square kilometers) to explore. In Daggerfall, there are 750,000+ non-player characters (NPCs) for the player to interact with, compared to the count of around 1,000 NPCs found in Morrowind and Oblivion. However, the geography and the characters in these later games are much more detailed."

I'll also add that Daggerfall is the game I have spent most time playing out of all Bethesda games and I absolutely hated Oblivion (it became fairly ok I guess once you modded the hell out of it)

Morrowind has to be my fav in the entire series, but I did play Daggerfall quite a bit. they had the most ridiculous dungeons, if your not prepared you will be lost. they were sooo maze-y and so huge! ahem to the mark and recall spell - savior of the lost :)

Morrowind has to be my fav in the entire series, but I did play Daggerfall quite a bit. they had the most ridiculous dungeons, if your not prepared you will be lost. they were sooo maze-y and so huge! ahem to the mark and recall spell - savior of the lost :)

Yes indeed, recall for the freaking win :D Also levitating horse, yaaaay!

Yesterday I put Skyrim aside and found myself playing Xenonauts. Just goes to show that the best things can come in small folders. :o

Yesterday I put Skyrim aside and found myself playing Xenonauts. Just goes to show that the best things can come in small folders. :o

Word! I also find me self winding a bit down again (Skyrim-shakes are subsiding nicely) and looking forward to being a server stress-tester on The Old Republic this weekend.

Word! I also find me self winding a bit down again (Skyrim-shakes are subsiding nicely) and looking forward to being a server stress-tester on The Old Republic this weekend.

My wife got invited too ... I didn't. :(

But I plan to hijack her account, so it's all good! ;)

My wife got invited too ... I didn't. :(

But I plan to hijack her account, so it's all good! ;)

hahaha, here is what i'd do: lots of alcohol and chocolates. Perfect drugs when trying to keep the ladies from aggroing on account of the games ;) and conveniently they fall in the category that WON'T get you in trouble with the authorities ;)

Edit: remember that she can't drive though... otherwise SHE'D get in trouble with said authorities :D

Edit to the edit: Although that COULD work in your favor if they kept the weekend over..... lol

Edited by Joeneren

My favourite is Morrowind, too. What i kinda miss in Skyrim is immesrsion - for exaple in Skyrim you do 2 or 3 quests and you are already in the circle of the companions, or you can become a important member of the mages guild (haven't done those quests yet, so i don't know how far you can actually go there) even when you are roleplaying a dualwielding barbarian, who never uses magick.

While in Morrowind you have to start with really small tasks (finding mushrooms as example as the irst quest for the mages guild), the progress is thus slower, but i feels more "realistic" IMHO, also you had to train the skills a certain faction/guild sees as virtues, since they don't let you become leader of the house telvani if you never ever case a spell :D

Despite everything i enjoy skyrim, its a great game :) (but i guess Morrowind will be my favourite elder scrolls game forever ;) )

What do you guys think about the 'dumbing down' or simplifing of the game?

The previous itterations had more stuff around character development with spells, skills, and actual classic RPG stats such as str/int etc..

And in RE: to the previous, I also think being top dog in mutliple different outfits is odd. Thieves/assasin/circle/mage etc.. you'd think a few of those would be mutually exclusive.

Personally? I don't care. I do like that the starting weight limit is higher though. It just saves time.

Beyond that, I mostly play the ES games to kill things. With swords/axes. In freeform first-person.

As a result, I've never actually finished one, and spent an inordinate amount of time in skyrim planning and killing Giants and Mammoths. Or wandering around waiting for dragons to spawn. Because they're HUGE. In fact, my first thought upon seeing a Giant was "he's a bit small". The second was obviously, "I'm gonna shoot him in the face".

Personally? . In fact, my first thought upon seeing a Giant was "he's a bit small". The second was obviously, "I'm gonna shoot him in the face".

haha, the first time I shot one in the face... it didn't work out so well for me, I think I was still level 1. Now sneak attack *30 does wonders on about everything though I haven't managed to sneak up on a dragon yet. May have to break down and use invisibility to give it a try.

I didn't finish oblivion, though I usualy finish these types of game.

Yeah...I still don't engage in HTH with Giants after my first attempt. Being one-shot with a kick is a pretty good deterrent.

Luring a dragon into fighting a giant and then picking them both off once they weaken is fun, though.

Luring a dragon into a fight with 2 giants and their mammoths and everything within 5 minutes running distance is BORING.

They really made them far too aggressive.

Just about to hit level 22 without all the smithing and stuff. I'm a high elf and started out with heavy armor and a two handed battle axe. I was really building my perk tree with this in mind. I didn't even get any good spells until about lvl 18. Now I only wear a robe and mostly cast fire spells. Too bad my perks for heavy armor is so high! I'm thinking about disenchanting my 75% magick regen robes and enchanting some heavy armor.

Also, I know that all those freaking dragon scales are good for something....Dragon armor maybe???

Yeah, its the top smithing perk. Bones for heavy, scales for light. Mostly.

Enchanting is crap unless you dump alot of perk points into it though, especially the % enchants. And have Grand Souls (animal or person). Still, a soul-trapping pickaxe, pile of petty gems and an estuary of Mudcrabs is good for skilling.

Once you get enchanting leveled up, though, you can make heavy armour that gives you 0 mana to cast on two schools of magic (4 items of Armour, 25% reduction per item, double enchantment per item).

Unlimited destruction spells of any level, anyone? :D

So you can being a heavily armoured living flamethrower, indefinitely?

Must try this! Got an Argonian Knight I've been trying to decide on the magic for.

Unlimited rain of fire, fireballs, blizzards, you name it ;)

Make the other school unlimited Restoration, and you become a truly noteworthy tank.