May Development Update!

First thing that’s happened is we’ve implemented female soldiers. These operate in the same way to male soldiers, except they drawn from an entirely separate pool of names, faces and armour graphics. We’ve finished the updated Basic Armour (all other armour is the same) and we’re working on the portraits now. They should be done for the next build. Preview is here:

www.xenonauts.com/devimages/female_basic.png

www.xenonauts.com/devimages/female_jackal.png

Chris, what about sound for female soldiers when they are injured/killed in combat? I presume they will use female sound and not the generic sound for male soldiers?

Good work so far, by the way :cool:

Regarding the auto-upgrade of base defences:

The ease of the whole upgrade process is not the issue, that is in fact preferable, as we can all agree. However, what bothers me at least is that apparently there will be no additional costs in doing the upgrades, while in reality there would be. Everything costs. So basically, what it does is it eats some of the immersion. And that is not preferable.

What I propose is that you allow manually upgrading all base defences, where each upgrade takes some bit of time and resources - though not as much as rebuilding the defence battery altogether.

THEN, you implement a way to auto-upgrade all base defences. Basically you could just make it a single yes/no pop-up which explains the costs and time it takes to upgrade all base defences.

Ideally, the pop-up should be a list of bases with a checkbox next to each base, and by default all bases are checked. Then you just select the bases you want to upgrade, with the costs updating each time you select or deselect a base and finally click the "Upgrade button", or choose not to upgrade by also pressing the appropriate button.

The ease of the whole upgrade process is not the issue, that is in fact preferable, as we can all agree. However, what bothers me at least is that apparently there will be no additional costs in doing the upgrades, while in reality there would be. Everything costs. So basically, what it does is it eats some of the immersion. And that is not preferable.

What I propose is that you allow manually upgrading all base defences, where each upgrade takes some bit of time and resources - though not as much as rebuilding the defence battery altogether.

THEN, you implement a way to auto-upgrade all base defences. Basically you could just make it a single yes/no pop-up which explains the costs and time it takes to upgrade all base defences.

Ideally, the pop-up should be a list of bases with a checkbox next to each base, and by default all bases are checked. Then you just select the bases you want to upgrade, with the costs updating each time you select or deselect a base and finally click the "Upgrade button", or choose not to upgrade by also pressing the appropriate button.

I like this idea.

Why not just have it as a manufacturing project that pops up after you research certain tech. Incorporate the cost into the "upgrade" by having your manufacturing team do the work in house.

My personal preference would be to have the upgrade run as a manufacturing job if possible.

Put your engineers to work building all those new weapons that will be installed.

The big downside is that you may have bases with no manufacturing capability that you wanted to upgrade.

How would that work at a base with lots of defences but no workshops?

Honestly I prefer the auto-upgrade.

But if people want some type of action, i would say an upgrade button on the turrents themselfs would be the best solution. I don't like the idea of needing to manufacture, just make me think why don't i just build it and then sell the old one.

Honestly I prefer the auto-upgrade.

But if people want some type of action, i would say an upgrade button on the turrents themselfs would be the best solution. I don't like the idea of needing to manufacture, just make me think why don't i just build it and then sell the old one.

This is the second time I've seen this misspelling in this thread (and the billionth time on the internet), and I've just gotta ask.

Where are you getting the 'n' in 'turrent' from? Turret does not have an 'n' in it, and it doesn't even sound like it does. Is this some kind of extremely odd European thing? Do you guys across the pond actually pronounce 'turret' with an 'n'?

This is the second time I've seen this misspelling in this thread (and the billionth time on the internet), and I've just gotta ask.

Where are you getting the 'n' in 'turrent' from? Turret does not have an 'n' in it, and it doesn't even sound like it does. Is this some kind of extremely odd European thing? Do you guys across the pond actually pronounce 'turret' with an 'n'?

No. But we do pronounce herbs with an H. Because there's an H in it. :P

Might be a confusion with torrent? with current? Or some kind of rent a turret campaign?

For some reason I have a feeling its either Starcrafts or some kind of tower defense games fault. That's what I associate to when I hear "turrent" with an n in it.

How much sex is allowed on TV depends on the channel that shows it. For example the Spartacus show that was on Tv6 in Sweden a few weeks ago was very graphical about the sex and the characters cursed ALL THE TIME. That's because when it was aired in America it was on Starz a "premium subscrption channel". (think the argument is that if you are a religious nutcase that are upset by such things don't subscribe to the channel).

I'm not really sure which channels accessible from Sweden is comparable to that. But that might be moot since I'm unsure how much SVT and TV4 allows their programs to allude to sex. I think SVT is pretty liberal?

Compare Spartacus to American sitcoms that in 80s (and 90s?) couldnt show a married couples bedroom if it had only one bed. It had to be seperate beds with a nightstand between them.

I think SVT2 is airing Game of Thrones now, or did not long ago, so I don't think they're all that muffled about it considering the amount of sex in that series (which is remarkably much more than in the book for some reason). TV6 shows just about anything, I think, not giving much about what's in it in regards to that.

I might be behind my time, but I always found the whole violence > sex deal strange. We're, once again, derailing though. And as you point out, there's been a vast improvement in that field the last few decades.

I think SVT2 is airing Game of Thrones now, or did not long ago, so I don't think they're all that muffled about it considering the amount of sex in that series (which is remarkably much more than in the book for some reason). TV6 shows just about anything, I think, not giving much about what's in it in regards to that.

I might be behind my time, but I always found the whole violence > sex deal strange. We're, once again, derailing though. And as you point out, there's been a vast improvement in that field the last few decades.

No, it's a typically American thing because of how their country and culture was founded. Many that migrated to America in the begining was doing so seeking religious freedom. A lot of victorian values went into the core beliefs and norms as a result. They still have a lot of refernces to religion in nonreligious contexts in a whole different way compared to at least Swedish culture.

No, it's a typically American thing because of how their country and culture was founded. Many that migrated to America in the begining was doing so seeking religious freedom. A lot of victorian values went into the core beliefs and norms as a result. They still have a lot of refernces to religion in nonreligious contexts in a whole different way compared to at least Swedish culture.

But they used to be cool. Back in the day. Or maybe I was too young to notice that you can carve someone up with a rusty spoon, as long as you don't say a bad word while doing it.

Compare Spartacus to American sitcoms that in 80s (and 90s?) couldnt show a married couples bedroom if it had only one bed. It had to be seperate beds with a nightstand between them.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/marykay.asp

i believe that the cosby show had a single bed as well ('84), i don't recall a show after the cosby show to feature separate beds. needless to say up until the mid 80's there was a taboo on things like toilets, and married couples sleeping together. tv shows in the mid 80's also would feature sex occasionally, by the time the 90's rolled around there was a whole issue with treating women as sex objects in general. it wasn't until 2000 that a sexual harassment suit was even considered defensible, rulings in the 90's resulted in the law applying even if there wasn't any harassment going on, that there was simply perceived harassment.

why is sexual harassment even applicable to sex on tv? because the reason sex was removed from tv in the 90's was do to the beleif that portraying women nude results in causing men to treat women as objects. during the early 90's it was perfectly fine to show a guy's ass, but not a girl's.

america is more religious than most places in the western world, and as a result ends up getting blamed as the most squeamish place, as far as media is concerned. in the middle east very little of women are allowed to be shown (in most countries), in fact religion and aversion to sex in media tend to go hand in hand around the world, though as religion wanes an aversion to gore becomes more pronounced.