ko2fan

Which Linux do you use?

Which distro of linux are you using?   31 members have voted

1. 1. Which distro of linux are you using?

• Ubuntu / Mint
    • Debian
    • Arch
    • CentOS / Red Hat
    • SUSE
    • Other

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

27 posts in this topic

Let Goldhawk know which Linux distros you want them to support for the game.

If other - post which one!

Edited by ko2fan

Can I ask a question? Does Fedora count as Red Hat or shall I choose Other? I personally don't understand why are CentOS / Red Hat (which are seldom used as desktop distros) in the poll and Fedora (which is intended for home use) is not.

Can I ask a question? Does Fedora count as Red Hat or shall I choose Other? I personally don't understand why are CentOS / Red Hat (which are seldom used as desktop distros) in the poll and Fedora (which is intended for home use) is not.

Hi Alm,

I'd probably count Fedora as Red Hat, although it's possible we might want to tweak the poll options later on (not many people use Debian as a desktop either; at least, not sensible people).

I'd ask about Gentoo but I don't know if Xenonauts will support -funroll-loops

Hi Alm,

I'd probably count Fedora as Red Hat, although it's possible we might want to tweak the poll options later on (not many people use Debian as a desktop either; at least, not sensible people).

I'd ask about Gentoo but I don't know if Xenonauts will support -funroll-loops

Well if they were truly sensible people they wouldn't be using Arch either.

I use Arch :)

In my experience with linux development, linux distributions are similar enough to ignore their differences, unless the game relies heavily on desktop environment specific stuff. Usually you only need to think about a specific distribution when coding except for packaging, and you can always release a distribution-agnostic binary.

Debian on my linux box. But it doesn't have a screen, a keyboard nor a mouse. Just power and network plugged in. :P

All of the options are just the Linux's I have experience working with. They also happen to be (IMO) the most common, whether people are using them as a desktop or not.

Debian GNU/Linux.

Also I'd like to add, that I would prefer a real native solution to a wrapper, if that is possible somehow. (e.g. by contacting the Playground SDK people and asking whether they would be willing to participate in porting the code or to contract out a port or to give you the source code for doing the port)

Well, lets count Fedora (and its derivatives) as Red Hat. Although I think the release should be distributive-independent.

Also I'd like to add, that I would prefer a real native solution to a wrapper, if that is possible somehow. (e.g. by contacting the Playground SDK people and asking whether they would be willing to participate in porting the code or to contract out a port or to give you the source code for doing the port)

I would also prefer a native solution, but after a quick search at the Playground forums they don't seem interested on creating a Linux port. Asking anyways wouldn't hurt, though :)

I run Arch, whenever I feel like it on my desktop, and always on my server. Atm, I'm stuck with Windows 7 due to this damn addiction to gaming.

I run openSuse 12.1 here.

But I have two hd (W7/openSuse) to game vs work

Fedora. Ran Ubuntu before, but was not convinced of their future plans. Fedora is nice because they get all the new Linux goodies first ;)

Ubuntu and Gentoo for polar opposites! I write code on Gentoo, and mostly use Ubuntu for work and easy-to-install games (Gentoo for the picky ones... I can get the prerequisites just right there).

I'm gonna say Debian.

Mostly because I've just taken delivery of a Raspberry Pi, and one of it's main supported OS's is Debian.

I'm gonna say Debian.

Mostly because I've just taken delivery of a Raspberry Pi, and one of it's main supported OS's is Debian.

Xenonauts will not run on the raspberry pi or any other non intel processor based systems.

Xenonauts will not run on the raspberry pi or any other non intel processor based systems.

You're missing a word there, the word is "natively". Given enough messing around it should run, but be damned if I'm going to write an x86 to Arm6 emulator and possibly a DirectX emulator for a single game :P

I run Arch Linux, has been a very smooth ride so far. Only problem is the ATi drivers, but I had that problem under open SUSE as well.

I run Arch Linux, has been a very smooth ride so far. Only problem is the ATi drivers, but I had that problem under open SUSE as well.

ATi and Linux are kind of like oil and water. They don't mix well :(

Are there any ubuntu users that would be able to test a .deb package of the demo?

I could/would do that :)

I sent you a PM with the details. Thanks for helping test.

ATi and Linux are kind of like oil and water. They don't mix well :(

You're sure?) For water and oil you can add surfactant, and get micelle. Link:

For me, amd graphics card is working perfectly (Debian GNU/Linux testing).