Mig-32 explodes after receiving a single shot, sometimes. Intentional defect?

Just wondering about this as the Xenopedia doesn't say anything about the Mig-32 having a really vulnerable fuel tank or anything. If it always exploded after one shot, then I'd say that's ridiculous but it might be intentional.

That it explodes after one shot about 33% of the time, seems like a glitch, unless we have critical hits in-game already. This has happened in combat against light scouts and normal scouts, just small craft. I was intercepting them with a Mig-32 armed with four stingers, using the Mig-32 because my F-17's were having trouble catching the evasive little buggers.

Last time it happened, I had launched my four stingers and then, right as I was entering the UFO's range, told my Mig to veer off to the left in hopes of evading fire. The scout fired once, and boom, Mig gone. I'd have several intercepts with no problem using a Mig before this, where it would receive damage but not die, yet this time it died. Probably the fourth Mig I have lost in exactly this way, and now I just don't bother using them anymore.

I know Migs aren't super necessary until you're going up against medium UFOs, but it would be nice if they were an option. Their higher speed (balanced by higher cost and the man-hours required to build them) make them pretty interesting, but this instant death issue counts them out.

I wasn't aware that UFOs fire torpedoes, is it just the corvettes and other bigger UFOs or scouts too?

I've seen Fighters atleast shoot them occasionally. It's a larger red projectile, with it's own 'Unidentified flying object' or somesuch text attached to it. (when zoomed close enough anyways, just a red dot further away)

Here's one that I just dodged:

torp.jpg

torp.jpg

torp.jpg.9f41bfb833fc3f397f1330bc9190684

I've seen Fighters atleast shoot them occasionally. It's a larger red projectile, with it's own 'Unidentified flying object' or somesuch text attached to it. (when zoomed close enough anyways, just a red dot further away)

Here's one that I just dodged:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1150[/ATTACH]

Thing is, according to aircraftweapons.xml, FighterMissiles do 55 damage, which shouldn't one shot your planes.

It's a bit unfair if they do due to extra code and Xenonaut ones don't, especially when they've got 50000 range and often loop around to have a second attempt if do dodge them (for reference, Sidewinders have 8000 and Avalanche 15000).

Thing is, according to aircraftweapons.xml, FighterMissiles do 55 damage, which shouldn't one shot your planes.

It's a bit unfair if they do due to extra code and Xenonaut ones don't, especially when they've got 50000 range and often loop around to have a second attempt if do dodge them (for reference, Sidewinders have 8000 and Avalanche 15000).

The heavy fighter missile does 80 damage.

That is going to sting if you get hit.

Historically as you know the aliens are stronger that humans. Then they have a stronger weapons.

About aircraft missiles and torpedos: they don't have a ammo? I mean if you build 2 missiles for 1 aircraft it uses it 2 all times and never need build new missiles?

Yeah, I just let one of my F-17's get hit by one of these 'Unidentified Object' missiles from a Fighter UFO. It only took 20% damage.

About aircraft missiles and torpedos: they don't have a ammo?

All standard gear and armaments are infinite. Only soldiers, aircraft, vehicles and researched items need to be bought or manufactured. When you research new aircraft weapons they are finite and need to be manufactured.

Edited by Stromko

Excatly. When I research new missiles i build only 2. And with this 2 one aircraft deals infinitive battles. They fired it and in base now have 2 missiles. But manufacture not working. That means infinitive ammo for new missiles. Because i'm ask this question.

Someone mentioned dodging alien attacks....I haven't tried it for a while with a MIG, but for several versions the Roll button didn't work for the MIG. I never got around to reporting/asking about it before. So, was there a fix or am I just not doing something correctly?

You shouldn`t be getting into firing range of alien torps when flying a MIG. MIG is a heavy weapons platform - basically it is not supposed to get into dogfighting.

On the other side - MIG is the fastest craft we currently have, so it may force players to use it as a fast interceptor. But i won`t recommend it. To kill a fighter with a MIG you`ll have to manually launch missiles in at least two waves. Otherwise fighter will just dodge them and after that your MIG is dead.

I use MIG only against corvettes (with 4 avalanches). Corvette can`t dodge them and there is no PD weaponry in the game. So 1 MIG with 4 Avalanches = dead corvette. Actually MIG is designed to do this kind of job (perhaps later it will have more choices for missiles and become a multirole craft).

Did a Air Combat only run -- using only MIGs. It's kind of a freak occurrence, but MIGs seem to get blown up by Scouts. Most of the time their laser does ~16% damage per shot, but occasionally the MIG will go from 80%+ to 0% in a single shot. Certain that it isn't a torpedo either, was way too fast, and I was zoomed in, it wasn't labeled as 'Unidentified Object'.

That said, MIG can take Fighters out 100% safely. Load it out with 4 Sidewinders, disable all but 3. Slap on afterburner, and immediatelly after the Fighter evades the first missile, release the rest. The Fighter won't get a chance to fire back (atleast they didn't shoot at me over 30 or so encounters). (did one 3v3 with MIGs vs Fighters no biggy as well, none of them fired back. Just more micro with the missiles.)

Scouts are dangerous to take solo. 4 Sidewinders isn't enough to blow them up, so you will need to load up with atleast one Avalance. I prefer two. Immediatelly at the start of the combat, slow down the MIG as far as you can. If the Scout isn't facing you in the beginning, it will be a free kill. (Also, click behind the Scout to make the MIG fly straight. Otherwise it'll try turning along with the Scout (too much in fact, it'll stop facing it), which might reset your Avalanche locking.) If the Scout is facing the MIG, it'll be safe most of the time. It'll get 2-3 shots in before the Avalanches hit, and normally won't bring the MIG anywhere near 50%.

But occasionally, the Scout scores a hit that'll blow up the MIG in a single shot. Bug? Feature? Dunno.

Edited by Kaguya