Having just paid some attention to the full art for the research screen, I have to say that I like it a lot more than the screen with the scientist in it.

researchscreenbg.jpg

By optimising the menus around the art and making them more opaque, it would have looked really good. It also fits in very well with the stores and barracks pics I saw, and that I also like.

storeroom_fin22.jpg

barackconcrete.jpg

To me, the research screen is bleaker, and hints of dark R&D projects, where the scientist one seems brighter (even if he is scowling). There's a quiet desperation about the above pics that the new UI just doesn't have for me. I also think they fit in with the misery shown by all of the soldiers.

Way too late, but I thought I'd share.

researchscreenbg.jpg

barackconcrete.jpg

storeroom_fin22.jpg

researchscreenbg.jpg.3fdf60d3f4c37d59050

barackconcrete.thumb.jpg.41b8dd91f53ff19

storeroom_fin22.thumb.jpg.0e073277128bf1

I'm also not a big fan of the scientist staring at you in the proposed UI. I think it would be nice to use something similar to the concept the OP linked to. Then having some variation in the objects show in the lab as you get further through the tech tree.

I have to say, changing lab (as well as workshop, personel etc) backgrounds as you progress is one of those little touches that would be extremely rewarding - to help you feel a sense of progress. It needn't be overly complex or ambitious - just three or four backdrops per menu that change as you enter new 'eras' (a la civ)

Yeah, we're looking at having the background stuff change as the game progresses. It's something I really want to put in the game, and it's likely I make it happen even if it doesn't necessarily make financial sense, because I think it'd be cool.

The old art is nice, but the new design uses a more "tabbed" approach which lets us put more functionality on the screen without cluttering it so much, and not having it look like a spreadsheet - it's tough to do that immersively in the previous design (speech bubbles work pretty well with that idea though). That's the main logic behind it, at least.

Thanks for that Chris. I completely agree about the more static nature of the older UI, compared to interactive scientists. That was one of the things I quite liked about it. It looked colder and bleaker and more still. Just personal taste...

lovely, isn't it? very understated.

They have a hauntingly desolate quality which appeals to me.

If I had to choose, though, I'd go for the detailed and vivid redesign. The pieces you posted work well on their own, but go to waste as backdrops for lists and speadsheets.

Yup, you'd have to really rework the interface to bring out the best in these images. I think my first post mentioned that I hadn't seen the research one much because it was hidden behind the menus.

I'd like to think that they could be worked in somewhere though...

Having said that, a selection of base pics and soldier faces is going to lead to mild depression in readers of the art book.

Chris should seriously consider striking a sponsorship deal with an unspecified Big Pharma player to bundle SSRIs with every hardcover copy of the book sold.

Yup, you'd have to really rework the interface to bring out the best in these images. I think my first post mentioned that I hadn't seen the research one much because it was hidden behind the menus.

I'd like to think that they could be worked in somewhere though...

Maybe as "Research complete", "manufaction done" and " equipment has arrived/been transfered" pop up screens?

Yeah, the old art does have a lot of that cold, industrial appeal. The UI looking like a spreadsheet actually works in its favor in that context.

I wonder if Chris would be willing to release the old interface code and art (an official mod?) so that we can alternate between UIs. :)

On the more practical side: the research/workshop UIs are more clunky and less intuitive than I could hope. Clicking on an item pulls up the description in the lower-left pane, which is fine. What I don't like is having to mouse all the way down to the bottom left to click the "Start" button to get the option to allocate scientists/engineers. It seems like just double-clicking on it from the menu on the right should do the same thing. Also, it's not as big of a deal to me, but allocating scientists/engineers could be done more gracefully as well. Maybe by default all available scientists could be put on a project, or clicking and holding could allocate the max, or something.

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far from playing the alpha. The game looks great.

Also, it's not as big of a deal to me, but allocating scientists/engineers could be done more gracefully as well. Maybe by default all available scientists could be put on a project, or clicking and holding could allocate the max, or something.

Left click assigns one at a time.

Rightclick assigns 10 at a time.

Ctrl left click assigns all.

It's listed in th hotkeys section of the very hidden manual. I think the demo has a link to the manual? Otherwise there's a link somewhere on the forum. Search for "hotkey" and you should probably find it.