Desura long-time troubles.

Maybe not 100% the right thread,m but not important enough to start a new one:

Will there be any way to obtain the game with my kickstarter-key other than desura?

To quote The Oatmeal: "I need another account (and Client running in the background) like i need as butthole on my forehead".

Just don't run Desura in the background.

Use it to download or update Xenonauts and then close it.

Then you can just launch Xeno from the exe without needing to launch Desura first.

Desura will be the first choice for distributing the alpha and beta builds but on release there should be a Steam and DRM free versions available.

You can download the pre release builds without using Desura but they are generally updated later then the Desura version.

The forum has a sticky thread on how to access them.

Aye. I generally don't mind different distribution services (like some people on the net), but Desura, so far, has been a bad experience.

I suppose there is a link floating around somewhere, but could I ask for a non-desura DL link for the latest build? It seems this time, even the full re-dl decided to stall on me at 97%.

EDIT. Nevermind. Somehow managed to force it through.

I was downloading UFO: Alien Invasion on Desura the other week and same thing happened when the download got to 98% and it just froze for about 5 minutes and then resumed, got to 99% and froze again for about 5 minutes before finishing the download. I think it might be due to the server load at the time, who knows... :S

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Management of the Desura client is in the hands of Desura... so the more people that write to them and politely (or not so politely) inquire when they are going to do something about it the sooner they do something about it. But hey! Desura does alphafunding and is a big supporter of indie games. I can't think of another big distributor that combines the two. In fact, I can't think of another big distributor that does alphafunding! (outside of sites like kickstarter, but that's a little different).

I was trying a few tweaks earlier on. I couldn't get them to appear in the game. Sure enough, my latest build game still used files from a previous build. Even with the same files there for the latest one, it was choosing to nip back for some of them. Odd, and undoubtedly all due to the way I've been updating the game through its development.

Yeah, that's it with Desura. I can't update at all. I get perpetual MCF errors, or Desura hang ups and what not.

Even if Desura helps indie developers, they can take a hike, because they do it horribly. Damn!

Yes, I'm a bit upset.

Laters

Edit:

Also their direct dl servers are effin slow as turd. *curses, a lot of curses*

Edited by IceVamp

Yeah, that's it with Desura. I can't update at all. I get perpetual MCF errors, or Desura hang ups and what not.

Even if Desura helps indie developers, they can take a hike, because they do it horribly. Damn!

Yes, I'm a bit upset.

I'm in the same boat here. (If it makes you feel any better.)

This was my first experience with Desura, too. I loathe Steam and was hoping Desura would be better (it wouldn't have to try hard!), but so far it's been its own kind of headache.

Not for the first time , I'm getting the same as the above. Two attempts to get the update and then there was a hot fix. 3 goes at that so far without success :( Really puts a downer on the evening as I had squirrelled away an hour to play the new build before other things kick in. double :(

Pain in ass query - is there any way for those of us with a Desura key to get it on Steam instead?

/ Wishing he'd waited before ordering

Oh, yes: you'll be able to opt for a Steam key once the game is ready for release. The alpha and beta versions are exclusively distributed through Desura, but testing them out won't restrict your options with regards to the final product.

That's it. I give up. Desura is the worst piece of crap.

I have spent the last four hours trying to download the new version to no avail.

The download always get canceled somehow, always has errors and stops.

Please, upload a zip file containing the game somewhere only the people who purchased the game can access.

I wanna play it, but I can't...

Corporal Hicks I had the exact same problem I managed a workaround by having desura validate the files (The third option when prompted by desura as to how to continue with the installation) it seems a small number of files are missing ~2MB. Hope this works for you.

On day three of trying to get the client to download. Hopefully it will work while I leave for the day.

Chris, I sure hope you are expressing our concerns to Desura as well.

EDIT: As an update, the download completed successfully when I returned from the gym. Changelog shows version 13.01.

Seems the problem is fixed, or I just got lucky!

Edited by Knox1776

"Nice" to see that I'm not the only one having these problems. Every time I try to install Xenonauts again, it starts downloading but after a while I get some error message saying connection was lost. Now I chose the third option and it's "verifying install". Has been at 40% for ages now. Really want to try out V13. :(