Soviet Weapons

XenoNUT

Is there any other mod around that adds the alternative weapons to the game without replacing the old ones? Or a tool/explained way to be able do add them yourself?

The second option would even be preferred by me as I feel the game also lacks Carbines and SMGs for a really believeable fluff. I know development time is limited and focused on the core principles but without a doubt you can get so much more out of this game.

Edited by Cold

The mod is *very* old and not compatible with the released version of the game.

kabill's right, this is quite an old thread and mod(over 2 years- wow, hard to believe it's been that long!) and I have not been following the forums for a while. Now that the game's officially been released on Steam I thought I'd check back. I remember there was a weapon editor in the works by a forum user called QuarterMaster, don't know what ever happened to that but I could never get it to work on my pc. Anyway I am working on releasing this for v1.06, only thing I haven't figured out yet is the animations. kabill seems like the kind of guy who might be able to help out with that ;)

In the old version I could just copy the soldier_spectre.xml from /assets/units/xenonaut/basicarmour/weapon.rifle/ to a folder for the new weapon, say /assets/units/xenonaut/basicarmour/weapon.rifle_ak47/

I'm no longer finding soldier_spectre.xml there but there is one in /assets/tiles.

Unfortunately putting that in the new weapon folder turns my Xenonauts into ghosts. And just copying the .pngs for the animations from another weapon doesn't seem to work either... end up with a soldier that appears to be unarmed, but can still say, fire off an RPG-7 round.

So, I am still looking into it but for now I am going to bed! Will update this thread if I have any breakthroughs- suggestions more than welcome!

Unfortunately QuarterMasters weapon editor also was not updated at least since a year ago and might never be since he seems to have abandoned the project.

Backed the game as soon as I got an idea of it's potential but waited for a long, long time until the official release to finally play it, since I'm not so much a beta tester guy. It's sad to see that a lot of the promising mods from back then won't work anymore. now that the game is officially finished.

Max_Caine tried as well 2 years ago to get behind the secret of adding weapons in his thread but being not a techy I can't make head or tail of the outcome.

I keep my fingers crossed that you find a way to make it XenoNUT. Thanks for your dedication.

Edited by Cold

Thanks for the link, I was able to grab the soldier_spectre.xml files from an older version from that thread, (and recreate the ones that were missing for rocketlauncher and machinegun types) and those seem to work. Now to just polish up a few things- like writing new weapon descriptions and tweak the stats a bit to make them sufficiently different from the stock weapons.

Let me know how this works for you:

https://db.tt/crGSCj4n

(Somewhat) tested with Xenonauts v1.06

I tried to make them slightly different from the stock weapons, using accurate real-world clip/magazine sizes for instance (although I think the PK belts start at 100 rounds, I went for 50). Also I tried to figure out what real-world weapons the stock ones were based on and then compared those to the Soviet weapons and adjusted the stats accordingly. Only in some cases I ended up having to improvise on those because for example, when I looked at the effective range of the PK Machinegun vs. the stock one (looks like an FN Minimi) I ended up increasing the range to like 46, which I noticed is higher than even the sniper rifle, so I ended up adjusting that down considerably. I settled on it being higher than stock machinegun, but lower than the precision (sniper) rifle. In general, the Soviet weapons seem to be heavier than their Western counterparts, and on a few I found the clip sizes to be smaller (pistol 12 vs. 15, shotgun 6 vs. 8) although, I did up the AK-47 to 30 rounds and the PK to 50 so that should make up for it. The SVD Dragnov sniper has a 10 rd capacity, but the stock rifle- which looks like a HK MSG-90 -has 10 rds also even though it's real-world equivalent uses 5 or 20 round detachable box magazines. But again, I didn't alter the stock weapons at all.

Please do make suggestions, and you are welcome to make any changes/additions or integrate these into whatever mods you like.

Edited by XenoNUT
Updated link

Let me know how this works for you:

https://db.tt/F86hKuxT

(Somewhat) tested with Xenonauts v1.06

I tried to make them slightly different from the stock weapons, using accurate real-world clip/magazine sizes for instance (although I think the PK belts start at 100 rounds, I went for 50). Also I tried to figure out what real-world weapons the stock ones were based on and then compared those to the Soviet weapons and adjusted the stats accordingly. Only in some cases I ended up having to improvise on those because for example, when I looked at the effective range of the PK Machinegun vs. the stock one (looks like an FN Minimi) I ended up increasing the range to like 46, which I noticed is higher than even the sniper rifle, so I ended up adjusting that down considerably. I settled on it being higher than stock machinegun, but lower than the precision (sniper) rifle. In general, the Soviet weapons seem to be heavier than their Western counterparts, and on a few I found the clip sizes to be smaller (pistol 12 vs. 15, shotgun 6 vs. 8) although, I did up the AK-47 to 30 rounds and the PK to 50 so that should make up for it. The SVD Dragnov sniper has a 10 rd capacity, but the stock rifle- which looks like a HK MSG-90 -has 10 rds also even though it's real-world equivalent uses 5 or 20 round detachable box magazines. But again, I didn't alter the stock weapons at all.

Please do make suggestions, and you are welcome to make any changes/additions or integrate these into whatever mods you like.

At least for me, it's crashing every time I try to go to the soldier equipment screen from the map after starting a new game and placing my base.

EDIT: Possible problem: items.xml calls a makarov item that isn't defined in the weapons.xml. Deleting it didn't fix my problem, but I'll keep looking into it.

EDIT 2: Messing with the loadout.xml didn't help either. Not really sure what's going on. Does Xenonauts have an error log?

Edited by CornishGH

No, there is no research required- they should be available at game start. It's weird because it was working for me, but apparently at least one of the files is jacked up- so I'll have to take a look at this later and I'll put it back up once fixed.

OK, let's try that again:

https://db.tt/crGSCj4n

At this time it won't work with any other mod which changes ammos.xml, items.xml, sounds_gc.xml, strings.xml, weapons.xml or weapons_gc.xml, as those are the files which are modified.

It should work with the Community Edition (subject to change as that gets updated) and will change your starting loadouts to use Soviet weapons.

Edited by XenoNUT
Updated dl link

CornishGH, thanks for the feedback.

The issue I found that was causing a crash was indeed with the makarov pistol in weapons.xml. Instead of referencing the texture at weapons/ballistic/soviet/makarov_black I had it pointing to weapons/ballistic/soviet/pistol/makarov_black, which doesn't exist! :P

Once I got that cleared up and had it working in game again, it quit working somehow and I couldn't figure out why... disabled all of the Soviet weapons then went through enabling each one individually and firing up the game again until I figured out what it was. Somehow the two .png files I had created for the AK-47 and SVD ammos had gone missing! They were not in my recycle bin and I definitely do not remember having deleted them, so no idea what that was about, but I was able to restore them from a backup.

Geez, it shouldn't be this difficult! Sorry for your frustration as well, I have uploaded a *hopefully* fixed version at https://db.tt/crGSCj4n

I´ve tested your version ( just shortly ), but it seems to be working just fine. Just one small note from me : as xenonauts are supposed to use top equipment, it seems strange to me that they would be equipped with Ak-47, when there is already much modern AK-74 available - please can you change your weapon mode, so that xenonauts would use AK-74 while keeping AK-47 for use by members of varios eastern armed forces ?

Glad to know it is finally working for someone besides me. As for the weapons that are currently included (i.e. the AK-47), they are there because the artwork for them was already included in the game files and they just weren't being implemented. I may consider adding some additional weapons in the future, as well as an option to choose between wood or synthetic (read:black), but right now I am back to playing vanilla as I haven't played at all since beta days and I'm curious to see how the release version compares.

I just gave it a try and it seemed to work perfectly so far for me, even with a savegame. Thanks mate. I'll report any problem I encounter.

My additional suggestions:

Right now we got an M16 for the american xenonauts and AK's for the eurasian ones. What I could see for the future would be to add G3/FN FAL rifles for European Xenonauts. I'm not skilled with photoshop so please don't mind the suboptimal outcome (maybe someone more skilled could give it a try, fix the edges and stuff) but I feel that adding real life pictures to get more weapons into the game only breaks with the overall comic like graphics and atmosphere of Xenonauts. So this tradeoff of modifying existing weapon graphics appeared as a viable way to me. Editing the standard sniper rifle wasn't so hard:

icn8wjjq.png

As well maybe for another mod or as an optional choice in yours Xenonut there could be some additional Carbine/SMG weapons, so that Rocketeers, Scouts, CQB Combateers and others don't have to run around only with a pistol. The game already has the M4 included and while I couldn't find a way to create an authentic looking buttstock, a somewhat AKS74U like weapon was possible to be frankensteined from some existing graphics.

qha6mrop.png

jhyglyap.png

52wix4hx.png

While I was at it, I also tried to create a Designated Marksman Rifle that fits a bit more into the US style, orienting myself on this picture:

fvqrzgjo.png

600px-TMGO13M16.jpg

Once again sorry for the bad quality. I had to increase the sniper scope to make it fit better with the ironsight, resulting in a quality loss that I hope wouldn't be seen in game. Yet a standard size scope from the G3 together with an ironless sight M16 might work as well if needed.

So a theoretically troop loadlouts could look like:

tykney6c.png

Regarding the role of the G3 and the M4/AKS:

It might be a tough cookie to adjust the G3 towards the other two rifles without making anyone op. The M16 has a 5.56x45mm and the AK an 5.45x39mm caliber while the G3 would have a severely bigger punch with it's 7.62x51. Usually the downsize is that the G3 had only 20 bullets while the AK and M16 around that time already had 30 bullet magazines, yet for some reasons the dev decided to go with the 20 rounds magazine for the M16 possibly due to gameplay reasons. The M16 got a really high fire rate and is good controlable in full auto while G3 and AK have the same fire rate while the G3 kicks like a mule. A possible option could be to adjust the TU requirements for the G3 shots and lower the accuracy for autofire a bit. Also the G3s weight is noticeably higher than that of the other two rifles. Reaction modifier might also be lowered a little bit but only slightly as I'm not aware how drastic the outcome is then.

Regarding the carbines, I feel that it could resemble the base weapon just with less weigth and a little bit lower range so that it works as a compromise between having a real rifle but being able to equip it with soldiers that also wear a rocket launcher on their back. Also higher reaction fire might be useful to turn it into a valuable CQB/Scout choice just like the shotgun or pistol.

Here you can find all the pictures I made so far in a zip: Feel free to use them if you like folks

Link

Edited by Cold

Sure thing.

I made them just by taking the standard Xenonauts AK picture and playing a bit with copy & paste in paint. Like shorting the barrel a bit or taking the muzzle break from the MG3 and adding it to the AK so it's basically all the original Xenonauts graphics, just a bit modified.

Edited by Cold

• 3 months later...

Just encountered a problem with this mod.

I use a soviet union team together with an american team to save the world and encountered the problem that if a shield soldier uses a Makarov, the shield will disappear and seemingly give no bonuses, despite him being clearly equipped with it. If you switch with the same soldier to the original pistol, the shield will appear again. So there seems to be some parameter missing that allows the Makarov to be used together with a shield.

• 1 month later...

I've been working on "Regional" ballistics myself, although I've not gotten around to putting them into a modular mod format yet. I'm also re-doing the stock ballistic images as well, to maintain the same "feel" for all of the weapons. Currently, the only one I've got finished completely so far is the Dragunov SVD-63 (with a planned "modernized" version to be included as well with later research - similar plans for other "modern" ballistics options). If anyone has any particular weapons they would like to see included (bearing in mind appropriate era), feel free to post here.

XenoNUT, if you are interested in any of the images, I'll be happy to share them as well.

The issue with shields is likely because the animations for shield+pistol are different for the animations for just shield, or just pistol (there are 3 separate sets, for each armor type). Animations are my current "choke" in getting new weapons added as well, especially distinctive weapons such as the Dragunov (the animation sprites for an M4 vs an M16 vs a G3 are virtually identical at the scale they are shown in, and so existing assets are just fine there...).

dragunov.jpg

Dragunov SVD-63 in-game image

SVD_Dragunov_HiRes.jpg

Dragunov SVD-63 Hi-Res version

Advanced_SVD_Dragunov_HiRes.jpg

Dragunov - Advanced Version - HiRes

AK_74_WithMag.jpg

AK-74 HiRes

G3.jpg

H&K G3 HiRes

M16A1.jpg

M16A1 HiRes