Build V10 Released (Kickstarter Press Build)!

Build V10 is currently being uploaded onto Desura. This will be the Kickstarter Press Build that we'll be sending out to journalists so they can preview the game.

Barring any serious crash bugs or things that are affecting gameplay, the .exe files will not change any further between now and the public release build - we may make some balance tweaks, update misaligned / broken tiles and update images, but we won't be making any further changes. This is simply because efforts to fix the bugs can end up causing more bugs, and we have to draw the line somewhere if we want to know we have a stable build for when the Kickstarter goes live.

There are a variety of fixes, but here's the headlines:

- Hidden Movement loop should be stopped. It was caused by aliens running out of ammo and then trying to fire their weapons anyway.

- The Ferret should now have its LOS returned to normal.

- The new props for the Industrial tileset have now been painted over in their undamaged forms.

- Various mis-set tiles have been updated

- Toggle Roof now defaults to being off rather than on, which should reduce confusion

- Alien Light Drones (we need to come up with a better name for them than that) now have a less powerful weapon, so they can't one-shot your Ferret any more

- Ferrets now have better ballistic armour and are less vulnerable to damage to Xenonaut small arms (friendly) fire

- Typos and errors in the Xenopedia have been updated

- The Alenium grenade sprites should be displayed correctly

- The Basic Armour troops with Shotguns should vault walls correctly

- Tooltips in the Air Combat now have appropriate line breaks so are a more reasonable size

- Pressing M on the Geoscape no longer nets you $1m

- Alenium and Alien Alloys now only sell for $1,000 or $2,000 each instead of 10x that

- Alien fighters can now dodge missiles as intended

The online manual is starting to take form at http://www.xenonauts.com/manual.html

Please give the build a whirl. If there's any bugs, we'll want to know about them before we send it to journalists. Hopefully it'll basically just be a slightly more stable version of V9.5.1 though.

Anymore updated sprite sets Chris? Scatterlaser sprites were missing from the last build for Jackal and Wolf, along with Jackal+Sniper Rifle vaulting animations being set to Basic+Rifle in the spectre file despite existing.

Rest of the changes sound good though, hopefully that's all the showstoppers crushed, burned and scattered to the winds.

As for names for the light drone...erk. What's the naming convention? Descriptive names ala "Armed Recon Drone" or something more x-comy like the original's Cyberdisc?

This game is becoming better and better. I could not test it for a couple of months, and it has improved a lot.

By the way, the corvette design is awesome.

I can't wait to test the AI, when it will be implemented....

For the drones, there are three types of support "drone". These little gun drones are the first ones, then you have a full-on Cyberdisc style-one which is 2x2 tiles (and explodes as you'd expect), then you get a final 3x3 tile alien hovertank at the end of the game. The idea is that there's a coherent visual progression between the three of them.

So really we want three names that have continuity and a progression between them as well.

Good News!

Uh... Exterminator, Sentinel, Alien Probe, Probe, Recon Drone, Scout Drone , Drone, Custodes, Guardian, Hovering *!$*

There's something all Terminatory and good about being tracked by the HKs

Cyberscout, Cyberdisc, Cybertank. Hmm can't use cyber disc... um

Cyberprobe, Cyberscout, Cybertank? as the three?

Edited by thothkins

Great news, Chris. I don't know how easy this would be to fix in time, but I'd say the only really noticeable issue left now is the (fairly frequent) issue of an alien spawning right next to/inside the hull of the crash site, and the resulting issues with getting LOS on him.

In fact, the LOS around crash sites in general seems a bit screwy in the last few builds, but I'm sure it wasn't back in 8.9. Any chance this can be fixed in time? Or do you not think that's too big a deal, considering the game is still in alpha?

As for the names, of the ones mentioned by people so far, I think Sentinal, Hunter Killer & Exterminator sound pretty cool.

Edited by jimbobfury

I think the cyber prefix is perfect for the three drones. It is really terminatorish...

I like the names CyberProbe and CyberScout. For the bigger one I'd use something like CyberHawk, CyberPredator, CyberHunter. Just hearing the name must sound intimidating and dangerous.

Well, on one hand it'll be humans naming them, on the other they should sound cool for the player.

Vanguard Drone, Assault Drone, Vindicator Drone.

I must admit I'm a bit worried that Games Workshop will come along with a cease and desist though. The light drones look VERY much like the Tau drones. Tau Heavy Gun Drone

Yes, they do. But it's a bit of a pain in the ass for us because they've produced about 10 types of Tau drone and so anyone who ever does a flying saucer with two guns on it is going to wind up with something that looks vaugely like a Gun Drone.

What if you called the class of vehicles "Sentinels" and the three forms were:

Scout

Hunter

Vindicator

So the long version of the names would be Sentinel Scout, Sentinel Hunter, Sentinel Vindicator. I'll try to think of more options...

How long does it usually take to upload to Desura for us being able to download it?

Well they are based in Australia and it's morning over there right now so it should be up in just a few hours with any luck. It just depends on when someone gets around to authorizing the update :)

Yes, they do. But it's a bit of a pain in the ass for us because they've produced about 10 types of Tau drone and so anyone who ever does a flying saucer with two guns on it is going to wind up with something that looks vaugely like a Gun Drone.

True. I like the rail gun drones. I collect Tau. :D

Vanguard, Vindicator and Vanquisher for all the Vs?

YES! Pleeeease Chris!

How long does it usually take to upload to Desura for us being able to download it?

Depends on the aussies. They've just gotten to work I'd say. They have to manually approve of the build before we can dl it.

According to Xenopedia what are the drones function? Killing? Terrorising? Scientific sampeling? Harvesting? Allaround support role?

Are the bots redily made when the fleet arrived and are adapted to earths enviroment like the UFOs (all tree versions serve a purpose) or are they made after arriving specifically crafted and designed for a unique purpose on our world ("Trial and error" kind of thing)?

Does the Saucerbot mk I, mk II, mk III style work? (not asking about the saucerbot name I know its horrible :P)

How obvious does the progression need to be?

Herdbot, Culling drone, Harvest automaton.

Is a theme enough or do they need to have the same word in their name?

Edited by Gorlom