Xenonauts-2 Version 0.11.2 Hotfix Released!

This new version of Xenonauts 2 is a free public test build, released free because it is still an early build and we don't yet think we can justify charging for it; full details on where to get the build can be found in this thread. The next update is due on Tuesday 20th June, although if necessary we will also release hotfixes for any game-breaking bugs encountered in this build.

This is a hotfix for the last build, fixing some of the problems that were introduced when we put grenades into the game. As a free bonus, we've also included the grenade launcher in game (it's functionally a more mobile and less powerful version of the Xenonauts 1 rocket launcher). Potentially this may cause further instability, but we figure it'll be better to find out about any new bugs sooner rather than later.

CHANGELOG:

• Grenade Launcher: One of the starting soldiers now has a grenade launcher, which acts like the rocket launcher in Xenonauts 1 except it does less damage but requires less TU to fire / has a 6-round magazine. This new weapon was only implemented on Friday so please give it a test and let us know how it works. We've not yet implemented the increased terrain-only damage on the weapon so it's not actually very good at blowing up the scenery right now, but that will change soon enough!
  • Removed a crash caused by trying to use the baton / medipack.
  • Removed a crash linked to the selected soldier being fired at by overwatching aliens.
  • Removed a crash linked to your soldiers performing overwatch fire.
  • Grenade "miss" scatter is now linked to the distance you attempt to throw the grenade, as the previous scatter was causing nonsensical results on failed short throws.
  • Grenade UI image is no longer distorted.

The grenade launcher will probably need some further updates to get it functioning properly, but with a bit of help from the community we can hopefully get the bulk of the required fixes done for the release of Version 0.12.0 on Tuesday 20th April.

Hadn't had the time to play 11.0, and only one game now with 11.2.:

Grenade Launcher:
- Two times the grenade sped at right angle from muzzle into nothingness. Don't know if it left the map as it was faster than normal.
- As a grenade it should have an arc when shooting over an obstacle like a rock formation, even if it is into the fog of war. The solider should do that automatically. Yes like a hand-grenade but wth more range.
- I think the grenade "bullet" is to fast for that weapon.
- Damage is moderate as mentioned. Destruction of scenery seems moderate too, even bushes are unaffected. No suppression at all or?
- Explosion animation looks great. Would like to have some lingering dust in the air that settles over time, at least in the sandy environment. But it should be able to move the soldier before dust has settled fully.

Hand-grenade:
Strangeness all over.
- Almost always a sound comes in the beginning of the animation, sounds like a bullet hits a rock. But two times I had no sound.
- Sometimes the throw-animation comes and then...nothing. No explosion, no damage anywhere, hand-grenade is gone. Once the initial sound did not come but the rest as described here.
- Wrong order: Sound, targetted alien gets damage, throw animation comes, then explosion at alien position.
- I never see a visible grenade in the air.

In general the game is quite slow, the movement of soldiers in stuttering, sometimes more sometimes less. Aliens doesn't have this problem it seems.
Burst shots are extremely problematic. Sound and bullet animation are out of sync. Bullets stay in the air before going on.

I play on 1920x1200 and Fantastic setting.

Here my log: recording_2.rec

I will play more later the week.

Speaking of grenades:  Will we get different types of payloads?  I hope you are going to give us incendiary, smoke, HE and knock out gas at a minimum.  Ideally, some type of area denial (like the old proximity grenade) and lethal gas would be awesome.  If you're going to have mechanical units again an EMP or shock grenade would be good too.   I'm hoping the grenade launcher and hand grenades will have the same exact types available.

Edited by StellarRat

18 hours ago, thixotrop said:

In general the game is quite slow, the movement of soldiers in stuttering, sometimes more sometimes less. Aliens doesn't have this problem it seems.
Burst shots are extremely problematic. Sound and bullet animation are out of sync. Bullets stay in the air before going on.

Thanks. Yeah, now we've changed to "Development Builds" the game is going to run quite a lot more slowly. Obviously the final game won't use development builds but we need to use them for now so that our error tracking software can give us specific information on the line numbers where issues are occurring. Unfortunately, though, the game runs much faster if you let Unity smash all your code together before release. Maybe we can figure out a solution where we make both types of build available in the future or something?

In the meantime, I suggest you play the game on lower settings to try and counteract the performance hit. I think a lot of your issues are caused by low frame rates - projectiles not appearing, sounds out of sync, etc. See if it works better on the lowest settings?

17 hours ago, StellarRat said:

Speaking of grenades:  Will we get different types of payloads?  I hope you are going to give us incendiary, smoke, HE and knock out gas at a minimum.  Ideally, some type of area denial (like the old proximity grenade) and lethal gas would be awesome.  If you're going to have mechanical units again an EMP or shock grenade would be good too.   I'm hoping the grenade launcher and hand grenades will have the same exact types available.

Yeah, we're planning to have the grenades from X1 back in the X2 and I'd like to add proxy grenades to the arsenal too.

Couple of issues

When the grenade launcher misses the grenade doesn't go bang somewhere else. 

Throwing hand grenades behind cover is now a bad idea. If the throw misses, the grenade seems to stop on the cover then detonates, killing the soldier. 

Two games with different settings:

One thing I noted is that if you have a download going, like Steam updating games for me, X2 has tremendous stuttering problems independent on settings. I switched those off for the games here. Though I guess this will be gone once the development games are switched off.

Fastest with 1920 x 1200 vs. Fastest with 1280 x 800: "Fastest" settings seem not to help me here; the stuttering, bullets leaving the muzzle with odd angles (although not as drastic and often as before), burst and LMG fire slow and laggy and the errors when throwing grenades are still there (although sound is not out of sync anymore).
Changing the resolution is more effective; stuttering heavily reduced and bullets paths mostly OK. But LMG fire suffers still the same lag. Grenades still have same stupid effects mentioned before.

Other things:

An alien was in view. Soldier could target and shoot but missed. Alien vanished from view. Another soldier approached a bit and alien reappears on same spot.
1.jpg2.jpg

Some trees vanish and reappear when rotation the map (from 1 to 4).
In the four images below the tree next to the selected soldier is not visible, then it is visible for some rotation and then gone again for the remaining rotation. Other trees of this model have the same problem.
tree1.jpgtree2.jpg
tree3.jpgtree4.jpg

I have mentioned this for an earlier build before: When helaing the heal cursor jumps and locks on terrain tiles. It depends how the cursor is approaching the targe, i.e. the passing tiles, where it locks itself. Rotating helps to avoid these sticky terrain tiles.
heal2.jpg

In both images the soldiers hit the dead alien only.
In the left image the (here dead but still standing) Sebillian moved along the blue arrow. Was targetted by the near shotgunner in overwatch, but only the dead body on the street was hit. In my round the other soldier also only hit that body and not the Sevbillian.
In the right imagethe soldier only hit the two dead Reapers at the door (no they couldn't pass the door before they died), and the Alien inside hit those too when backfiring. A soldier had to go near the Reaper corpses to hit the living Alien.
hit dead alien1.jpghit dead alien2.jpg

Dead still standing but dropped their weapons:
dead.jpg

This soldier can't end his path in the marked tile.
path & tree.jpg

And further things:
- In most cases grenades cannot be thrown over the obstacle in front. Sometime they explode, sometimes nothing bhappens at all.
- Alien always go to the spot where another alien died. Even if they are in a perfect kill zone then.
- Aliens still can shoot through walls when a soldier is adjacent to it, when standing or walking past it. Soldiers can't.
- Doors and Reapers don't like each other.

And my two logs:

recording_3.rec
recording_4.rec

Edited by thixotrop

---

Alright, finally getting to post again since the website is back (or at least it was down enough that some "isitdown"-websites also said this was down).

Anyways, I personally just here confirm the things already mentioned, while also providing the log-files.

Couple of things though that have been "nicking" in my brain(s):

1. Was there anything special in the "0.11.1"-version-patch-notes or were everything imported to this current one?

2. This:

On 12/06/2017 at 6:35 PM, Chris said:

Tuesday 20th April

Seemingly it is April-month always ( for the past several updates ).

---
---
---

2017-06-20_035508.zip

output.log

recording_5.rec