Xenonauts-2 Version 0.11.0 (Public Combat Test) Released!

This new version of Xenonauts 2 is a free public test build, released free because it is still an early build and we don't yet think we can justify charging for it; full details on where to get the build can be found in this thread. The next update is due on Tuesday 20th June, although if necessary we will also release hotfixes for any game-breaking bugs encountered in this build.

So the biggest piece of visible progress this build is .... *drum roll* .... grenades! Finally! These have been a massive pain in the ass to implement and no doubt are going to be pretty buggy given we only managed to merge them in this morning, but they are now finally in the game. Give them a test and report all the problems you encounter in this thread, as that way we can get them all fixed up and working properly for the next build!

CHANGELOG:

• Grenades: Every soldier now starts with a grenade. Give them a play and see how they work - we've not had much time to test them out so I'm expecting there to be a lot of issues!
  • Camera should no longer occasionally get stuck rotating when you press Q or E.
  • Fixed an issue where cliffs walls would 100% block a valid corner shot if there was also an adjacent prop present.
  • Fire path now immediately goes red when a shot is beyond range, rather than having an intermediate orange stage.
  • Alien selection halo now correctly appears when an alien is on 1m raised terrain.
  • Medikit crosshair now correctly disappears when you end a turn with it active.
  • Shotgun can no longer hit tiles behind the shooter.

Two reasons why the changelog is so short - firstly, grenades have been an absolute nightmare to implement because they touch on so many different systems (e.g. throwing, inventory, explosion visualization, damage pattern and fall-off, destructibility, etc). They caused a lot of bugs and we had to spend a lot of time getting them sufficiently functional to go in the release ... and even then we're expecting to see a lot of bugs in this build. 

Second thing is that a lot of the coding team has been working hard on invisible things. The ongoing refactor of the soldier inventory system also took up ground combat resources, but much of the team has been busy on the strategy layer. The ground combat / strategy merge is coming along nicely and not too far from completion, but it's a big job because it essentially involves implementing saving and loading of both the strategy and ground combat layers so they are able to pass each other information. The advantage is that the game should therefore soon support saving and loading, which is a hugely important feature (and is particularly useful when people are reporting bugs). There's also been a lot of work on the strategy mechanics, which we're still keeping under wraps but is inching closer to being ready to show off! :)

Anyway, that's enough from me - please let us know if there's any issues with the build!

• Like 2

I think this is the first time I tried a dev build.

• Obviously slower and sluggish than the last (non-dev) build I tried.
  • I tried to aim the grenade, then I switched to other solders.  When I switch back he's still in grenade mode and clicking on rifle does not switch it back.
    Switching weapon, however, can switch him back to pistol and rifle, so it's a workaround.
  • LoF around wall corner seems to be working yes!
  • I haven't tried to reload but I don't see any clip in the reload panel.
  • Crashed in second turn on enemy overwatch, so haven't got much else to report for now.

Yeah, the development build is bound to run a lot slower sadly. However, there are some performance fixes we can still do; I'll look into it.

> I tried to aim the grenade, then I switched to other solders.  When I switch back he's still in grenade mode and clicking on rifle does not switch it back.
Switching weapon, however, can switch him back to pistol and rifle, so it's a workaround.

Noted and fixed!

> I haven't tried to reload but I don't see any clip in the reload panel.

Noted and we'll look into it.

> Crashed in second turn on enemy overwatch, so haven't got much else to report for now.

We're having a hard time reproducing this one. Is logging enabled for you?

22 hours ago, Gijs-Jan said:

> Crashed in second turn on enemy overwatch, so haven't got much else to report for now.

We're having a hard time reproducing this one. Is logging enabled for you?

Yes.  Sorry I didn't thought of including the log.  I see it logged the fatal error:

output.log.7z

x1.png

The cursor looks creepy on uneven ground IMHO.
x2.png

Weird damage destribution. (I threw a grenade under the tree).

Shadows jump around the soldiers instead of moving smoothly. I am playing on 'simple' quality.

The game crashed when the soldier naded both himself and his teammate.

I don't know where to find crash reports, so here is the log.
output_log.txt

Edited by ToNo

I think that grenades have too random a distribution when they miss. When I first tried throwing grenades, the grenades would detonate to the right-hand side of the soldier who threw it. At first, I thought the grenades were bugged, but it was after throwing other grenades that I realized just how wild the distribution is when a soldier misses with a grenade. Could something be done to make a missed grenade throw less wacky? 

10 hours ago, Max_Caine said:

I think that grenades have too random a distribution when they miss. When I first tried throwing grenades, the grenades would detonate to the right-hand side of the soldier who threw it. At first, I thought the grenades were bugged, but it was after throwing other grenades that I realized just how wild the distribution is when a soldier misses with a grenade. Could something be done to make a missed grenade throw less wacky? 

It was set at a random range around the point of impact, and we're changing it up to be based on the distance of the throw.