Alien Ticker - Manageable?

I realize I could look into the game files for this info but I don't enjoy completely ruining a game's mystery before beating it at least once.

So, I'm wondering if it's realistic to manage the alien invasion ticker on a conscious level.  Are there any tips like "thwart x number of missions before month 4 or this bad thing happens"?  Will some games be super easy when the aliens only randomly choose to do missions that don't increase the ticker much, and on the flip side, are you screwed some games when they outpace you no matter what you do?

Would the game play out noticeably different if you were to get a base on each continent ASAP and stop every single mission than if you were to barely scrape by with minimum coverage?

Edited by Wulf2k

In vanilla the ticker runs at a fixed rate and is not influenced by anything you do.  Back in beta you could slow it down, but that was changed because it made the game easier for people already doing well and harder for ones that were doing poorly.

I know references to mission related ticker values existed in the xml, so there may be mods that do something with it.