Ground Combat Brightness

When I enter ground combat, after some short period the screen image uniformly darkens. This is especially noticeable when switching between Xenonauts and other programs or the desktop: once Xenonauts is brought back up, it starts at an appropriate brightness but darkens again within 5 seconds. 

Attached are before and after images of the exact effect.

I am not sure if this occurred with earlier versions of Xenonauts or the Community Edition. 

2017-04-02 08_14_11-Xenonauts.png

2017-04-02 08_14_23-Xenonauts.png

That's a totally new one.

Have you tried if this happens without other mods? Are you running any programs that can affect the video display (RivaTuner, f.lux, etc.)? Does this also happen in the main menu, or just in ground combat?

It does not happen in the main menu or geoscape (for all I know the same technical process is occurring, but there is no visible change in brightness as in ground combat). 

I don't believe I have any display or GPU software running other than whatever comes default with an Nvidia graphics card. 

Other than XCE 0.34.2 HF, the only major mod I am running is policenaut's X-Pansion Pack. 

Opening up an old version of X-Division under XCE 0.34.2, the brightness shift does not occur in ground combat.

I'll try running a combat in a new game under 0.34.2 HF without the X-Pansion mod. 

First ground combat on a new game with the Xpansion Pack mod either disabled or enabled did not encounter the brightness shift. 

All variables tested across night combat, as I don't think I encountered the issue in day combat (or else it was not noticeable). 

This implies the problem develops over the game course, and may not be related to any specific mod. I suppose in my case there's nothing for it but to ignore the effect.