Mod a more realistic Xeno

krolyn

I've been playing Xeno for a bit and I find it super well made and fun. However, after a while, I start to get a bit annoyed by some unrealistic aspects of it, like narrow sight, super short gun ranges, cover is pretty useless, rare interrupt shots, etc... So, I decided to see if I could "improve" it a bit with the available mods. I settled for a few (see list below) but there were still things not quite to my liking and would like to have some feedback/help, just to make sure some changes won't have unintended effects:

- remove player/alien penalty/bonuses. I'd like to have a game without any arbitrary bonus (e.g. extra accuracy, HP, AP) to either side on Veteran dificulty level. Are there many?

- wide 180 sight. It avoids constant turning and a human can be aware at pretty much 180

- sight penalty for aliens since they would not be prepared for earth environment

- better cover. My reasoning is that chances of getting hit through high cover should be close to null, except if you have a sniper rifle. I'm looking for a more tactical approach where shooting at an enemy with no cover shold have high chances of a hit, but if he is behind cover is pretty much useless (except for suppression). This would force (I hope) the attacking side (usually the player) to come up with alternative strategies (flanking, ambush, rockets, greandes, etc...), since those are the only efficient ways to hit the enemy. This also kind of works as an implicit bonus to the defending side since it would have had time to prepare terrain, choose defences, etc...

- aliens fortify more. to make the previous point work, aliens need to fortify more, otherwise it is too easy. I think it is in aiprops.xml, no?

- player acess to civilians and local forces LOS/vision/position, since it is expected that they would try to help Xeno in locating the aliens.

- Xeno recon could give the player access to the full map, no?

- specify initial location of aliens/civilians/local forces on missions. sometimes alien initial positions leads to weird situation, like civilians right next to aliens or local forces. Specially on Terror missions, this leads to a carnage in the first 2 or 3 turns, where pretty much all civilians and local forces are wiped out. I'd like to have aliens initially only around the crash site (or a corner if terror site), and civilians/local forces randomly but not near the crash site (or entry point) since they'd avoid it

- UFO door not facing map borders. sometimes the UFO door is super close to the map border and these makes it super difficult to enter since as soon as you open the door all aliens fire and kill a bunch of your soldiers. It would be nice if there was more space so you could have some soldier further away.

- increase aircraft ammo

- on config.xml there are two parts ("interveningStoppingChance" and "EnhancedCrashSites") that sound interesting but I'm not sure what they do.

thanks,

==========================

Loaded mods (in this order): Tactical Armories v1.0, Dynamic UFOs v3.0, Geographic addition v1.1, Hold the Line! v3.1, Xenonauts Fix Pack v1.41, Tropical and Swamp Tileset v1.61, Skitso's Improved tile Art Pack v1.1, Skitso's Ultimate Megamix Map Pack 2000 v1.62, Extended Weapons Description For Fighters v1.0.1, Khall's More Portraits v1.0, Khall's Tundra Tileset, Lore+ v1.1c3, NewCars v0.5, Random Map Pack Arctic Collection v1.0, Random Map Pack Desert Style v0.2, Random Map Pack Farm Edition v1.4, Restored Community Map Pack v1.0, Skitso's Alien Base Booster Pack v1.1, X:CE v0.34.2 HF