Demo Impressions

Nesa

Starting from the beginning.

1. It was a bit odd to have to get this fron GOG when I try to do as much as possible on Steam. On the other hand at least it isnt Unity or Origin, GOG has actually been pretty good to me so far compared to other content platforms.

2. On the main menu the Options tab is unavailable, even if it is just a demo it would be nice to adjust volume or see the keyboard bindings.

3. The movement animations are outstanding. I would like to be able to zoom in and see them better but I dont know if that is possible. Even if it is possible, I dont know which keys to use for that -because I have no way of viewing the keybindings. 

4. There are a lot reused assets from the last game, weapon sprites, sounds, the enemy movement screen, etc... I would like to see these get upgraded and I expect that you just couldn't get them into the demo build.

5. Engagement rand and accuracy of the M16 and PSG1 are unrealistic. If these soldiers are picked from the best of UN member states then they should be far more proficient with their weapons.

6. It would be nice to include combined arms and joint operations support. Artillery, close air support, aerial reconnaissance, ELINT comms capture, naval bombardment. I'm looking for something like World in Conflict.

7. I got rushed before I could get my guys out of the drop zone. Not necessarily a bad thing but from a demo perspective it would be nice to see more of the map and get a feel for it.

8. As an aside - I felt that the vehicles and aerial assets lacked variety in the first game. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes in the sequel.

You CAN assign different keys in the demo at the start, when the Xenonauts 2 Configuration box pops up - it's initially on the 'Graphics' Tab, but if you click on the 'Input' Tab and then double right click on the Primary or Secondary key bind options, it'll allow you to change them.

Agree on wanting to be able to Zoom in for a better look at the new graphics and animations !  Just might not be possible at this early stage, but I do hope it becomes an option.

As someone who had to 'get used to' Steam so many, many years ago, I can relate to the oddity of having to get on something similar (that wasn't Steam) to demo this game.  I'd never even heard of GOG before this, but fortunately, it wasn't difficult to figure out and didn't ask me for any CC info to establish an account.

Combined arms could be so much more immersive for the game !  There's a thread going on just related to other functions the drop ship itself could do other than simply deploy troops.  

@Nesa

2) If you press ESC or the Menu icon in the upper left corner of the screen you can change the audio volume under Options.

4) Chris said these re-used parts will be changed, but for the sake of an early demo we have tolive with it.

5) Yes these guys can't really shoot, often hitting parts of the scenery instead of the target. And yes, any soldiers enlisted for Xenonauts should be better trained to shoot. X1 had the same problem though.

7) Up to now, the aliens always start at the same starting points and are coming to you within the turns.

Thanks for the thoughts. The GOG exclusive is because the game is free - I don't think Steam support "free" launches without us either then having to give everyone who downloads the demo free access to the final game, or potentially blowing our Early Access launch promotion (where we might get on the Steam front page). So we're sticking with GOG for now but hopefully we'll also be on Steam in the next few months.

We'll definitely look at implementing a zoom function in the near-ish future - maybe just an extra zoom level where the camera is zoomed in 20% or so. There's a limit to how close you can get before our textures start to look really crappy but we could definitely move the camera a bit closer if we wanted to.

It was impressive. I played the original for countless hours back in 94-95, and considered it my favourite game of all time, yet actually thought that the Xenonauts remake improved upon the original. This demo seems to build upon that foundation nicely, and shows great promise.

(I'm completely horrified by the prospective loss of the realtime geoscape though, but that's another issue :))

There is not a lot to comment on yet, plays and feels like X1 (which is a good thing) with a lot better presentation. The computer I played it on could not handle it that well, so the experience was kinda clunky. I like the red beret and the new look in general for the troopers. They look much better than in X1! Overal X2 has the same menacing atmosphere i liked about X1.

Edited by inRain