[X:CE 0.34] Pump Action Grenade Launcher v0.9

Sheepy

The title should say it all.  Among the Xenonauts 2 ideas is replacing rockets with grenade launcher.
Thanks to the modding community (cough), you can already try out that idea in the original Xenonauts!
GrenadeLauncher.png

For new games: Sheepy's Grenade Launcher.0.9.zip

For mid-campaign: Sheepy's Grenade Launcher Unlocked.0.9.zip

This mod give you a pump action grenade launcher with 3 round magazine, like the China Lake grenade launcher prototyped for Navy SEALs in 1968.
It is intended to be good at destroying cover, but can also be used to blast damned aliens.
In order to reuse AK47 sprite, it looks a bit like that rifle, but I think it is a better match and more recognisable than recreating a semi-auto launcher.

This mod is functionally complete and is being playtested.  It comes in two versions: normal, and unlocked.  New campaign should use the normal mod.  Mid-campaign switch should use the unlocked version which comes with all ammo unlocked, because you cannot go back and re-research the unlocking techs.

I intend to tweak and add a pump to the gun art before calling it final.

Stats:

Weight 5kg, Range 20, Reload 25%, Recoil 60, Reaction 0.5, Suppression 40 in 2.5 radius
Snap 40% TU Acc 95
Normal 60% TU Acc 125
Damage is around 2/3 that of rocket and hand grenade.  Takes 2+ hits to destroy most covers.  May have to raise it and rocket launcher together?

Note that because of direct fire, the hit rate is affected by cover, unlike thrown grenade but like the intended X-2 grenade launcher.

The files and arts including historical versions can be found on GitHub.  You may use them freely provided that a credit is noted.

History:
2017-02-21 v0.8 Function prototype that use rockets as ammo.
2017-02-28 v0.9 Added explosive, incendiary, smoke, and stun gas grenades.  Breaks vanilla compatibility and becomes X:CE only.

Edited by Sheepy
Update to v0.9
  • Like 2

Version 0.9

This version should fix the predator spirit, and comes with a good selection of 40mm grenades.

40mm.q80.jpg

Due to system limitation, the grenade launcher will be armed with rocket by default, and can be armed with rockets in base.
Fortunately, the soldiers are smart enough to replace any wrong loadouts with normal 40mm grenades, so it won't break the game.

And after missing the pump from a pump action gun (I didn't know what pump action mean! Now I know.), the next mistake seems to be that the 40mm grenades are all grenade and no cartridge.  In the past few days I have been wondering why 40x53mm looks so long and slim, unlike the name.  I guess I won't redraw them now, just use some imagination.

The original plan of 40mm flare and flashbang has to be bagged, again because of system limitation.  For flashbang, suppression seems to be weapon dependent, not ammo.  For flare, it simply doesn't work and I'll try to file an issue.

During some light test, I find that the 3x3 area is a bit low and cannot reliably destroy cover at mid range.  So I slightly increased the radius and accuracy.

Reload cost is also slightly decreased since I didn't take into account the belt / backpack cost.  Switching ammo is still a pain, and I don't think I want to reduce the reload cost to zero, so it does not turn out to be as versatile as I hoped.  But it is still a fun weapon.  Let's see how imba (or useless) the instant grenade turns out to be.

Edit: Unfortunately, somewhere along the changes, the mod now consistently crashes v1.65 on startup, so it is now X:CE only.

Edited by Sheepy