[XCE 0.34.2] Weird main menu font size (Solved)

Sheepy

My steps to reproduce:

0) System: Win 10 Pro 64 bit.
1) Delete game folder, save game folder, and registry HKCU\SOFTWARE\Goldhawk Interactive\Xenonauts.
2) Unzip V1.65 (2016 Jan 17) downloaded from humble store.
3) Launch game, main menu looks ok.
4) Install x:ce from the mod manager, then rename the original exe and copy the one from xce mod folder.
5) Launch x:ce, main menu looks weird with big button fonts (other text including new game panel and in-game screens are unaffected).
6) Exit game, run original exe, main menu is in normal font size.  Run x:ce, main menu is in big font.
7) Even after installing the default xce mods, the situation does not change.

font-bug-mainmenu.q70.jpgfont-bug-launcher.q70.jpg

What I checked:

1) No compatibility modes.  Font size scaling 100%.
2) Windows font cache service does not matter.
3) Windowed mode and game resolution does not matter.
4) Mods folder has three directories: an "internal" folder created by the game in vanilla launch (step 3), megamix map pack, and xce.
5) Fonts files unchanged. Deleting string.xml and lua scripts from xce / internal does not fix the issue.
6) Reboot windows.

Disclaimer:

I have been developing a mod that modify the font size, overriding files such as mainmenu.lua.  However I didn't expect the change to persists after a total delete.

The problem now also manifest in the game not loading any other modded screens, such as personnelview.lua, until the file is changed, e.g. removing a blank line.

So, what I want to ask is, does xce use some form of screen cache?  Because the problem does not exist with vanilla version, which has not activated the mod.

Edited by Sheepy