[X:CE 0.34.2] Game constantly freeze

Steiner

Hi, sincerly I don't know if it's you're mod or my computer who have a problem but my game freeze a lot, on the geoscape/Air combat and in ground combat randomly. (I don't put any Screen or save for obvious reason but if you really need these I will give them)

I have some mods from the workshop who's not in the X:CE :

Xenonauts Fix Pack

Ultimate Ambient Sounds

UFO and crew diversity

More Civilians and Local Forces

More Civilians and Local Forces - Furies, Terror, and Dreadnoughts Oh My

Ultimate Ambient Sounds

Tropical and Swamp Tileset

Khall's More Portraits

Khall's Tundra Tileset

Lore+

Random Map Pack Arctic Collection

Random Map Pack Desert Style

Random Map Pack Farm Edition

Better Armour Graphics

(I have launch a new game without "UFO and crew diversity" with no change)

Edit: I've forget to say the most important... When I have a freeze I need to close the game by the Windows Task Manager because that's like a crash, not for a few second.

Edited by Steiner

• 2 weeks later...

Great!

Yeah, I think the tropical set also adds some ambient sounds. It seems to me that, the more ambient sounds are playing, the higher the chances of freezing get, but it also seems to depend on the computer, I've had a hard time getting those freezes even when intentionally trying with many sounds.

7 minutes ago, Policenaut said:

There's a version of the Tropical and Swamp tileset on nexusmods/steam workshop without the ambient sounds. You should also disable the forest ambience mod included with X:CE since it also has some in it.

So would deactivating all ambient sounds make the game 100% stable ? ( scratch head )

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been playing X:CE under wine in linux.  It crashes all the time, moreso with newer wine versions.  I started running it under valgrind and various debugging tools.  It appears that there is a race condition where two threads are both trying to write to or open the sound device at the same time.    valgrind slows down Xenonauts by a factor of 10 so the race occurs every time just starting the program.  It makes sense that playing as few sounds as possible minimizes the occurence of this bug.

Heres some of the messages I get just starting xenonauts 34.2HF under valgrind with wine 2.0

ALSA lib pcm.c:7897:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred
==2783== Conditional jump or move depends on uninitialised value(s)
==2783==    at 0x6C5786: ???
==2783==    by 0x71D735: ???
==2783==    by 0x6953CC: ???
==2783==
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x4bdef2c "mmdevdrv.c: ACImpl.lock" wait timed out in thread 003b, blocked by 003a, retrying (60 sec)
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x4bdef2c "mmdevdrv.c: ACImpl.lock" wait timed out in thread 003b, blocked by 003a, retrying (60 sec)

ACImpl.lock is an internal lock in wine related to initializing its simulation of the windows IMMDevice.