Xenonauts 2 - Version 0.1.1 (Public Combat Test) Released!

We have just released an update to the free public build of Xenonauts 2 - this is free because it is a very early build of the game and we don't think the project is of the quality where we can reasonably expect everyone to pay for it; full details on where to get the build can be found in this thread.

This build is just a quick hotfix for Version 0.1, which we put out a few days ago!

CHANGELOG:

• Some crashes fixed that were linked to firing weapons.
  • Xenonauts no longer spray purple blood and scream like aliens when injured.
  • We've fixed some shader issues that mean the ground combat UI selection squares etc now display better.
  • The loading screen quote text no longer has giant white writing on it.
  • Dead units can no longer be controlled.
  • Move path squares are no longer being double-placed in some situations.
  • Escape key now opens the menu.
  • You can no longer suppress friendlies around your soldier just by firing at distant enemies.
  • Fixed some AI turn hangs, and a crash on overwatch.
  • AI turn is a lot faster.

Have fun, and please let us know if there's any obvious issues in this build as we'll be around to make fixes next week if they are needed!

• Like 1

Been a few builds since I last tried it,so some opinions.

1) Movement actions feel as if they should be faster than they are. The general poise and gait of both the Psyons and the humans suggest they are running from spot to spot, but the speed which they do that doesn't suggest a running pace, more a jogging pace

2) Dead aliens and humans can ragdoll a bit which makes death humorous, when the arm of a dead human spazzes out. Is it possible to make them slump without spazzing? I bet it isn't. 

3) Human feel a little "floaty" when running, that is to say the impression is given that their feet don't seem to quite touch the ground. This is especially obvious when they are running in profile to the observer/player

4) It's hard to tell who still has AP and who doesn't without clicking through each solider, as this isn't updated on the UI on the left hand side.

5) Much easier by sight to work out where I can get a solider to stand. 

6) No crashes throughout the run-through. Will try for a TPK and see if that causes any problems. 

Hello,

Can you remind me the mail adress to send a crash report, please ?  (the dump file is empty but error and output_log are ok)

(Perhaps you could add the address in the window which indicates where we can find the crash report's files)

Thanks

So, out of curiosity, I clicked on the Input tab in the launcher for the first time ever. Chris, I think you need to take a look at it, because there are keybinds for actions like "jump", "fire 1",, "fire 2", etc. etc. I'm going to try pressing some of these buttons in-game to see what happens, but those keybinds should be removed and replaced with Xenonaut specific keybindings. 

EDIT: Pressing the keybindings from the input tab didn't do anything so that's useful to know. Some comments on the animations re. the Psyon grunt (or minion or whatever - the lows rung in the totem pole, you know what I mean). the shoot animation does a double-take when processing - he lifts his arms, then it snaps down again and then lifts again. Could that be fixed up? Also the shoot animations for the alines in general seem fairly rough in comparison to X1. That is to say, they seem to be lifting their arm and the bullet comes out without the arm(s) seeming to aim, as if their weapon is misfiring in the process of being lifted.Also, could you reintroduce the point blank bonus to-hit that was in X1? It seems silly that both myself and an alien can stand right next to each other and miss!

EDIT 2: Have now discovered the .json files and am pleased to report that itinerant modders fiddling with the stats doesn't cause any issues. Personally would have preferred a greater degree of separation of the data from the code, but you takes what you gets. 

20 hours ago, Spad said:

Can you remind me the mail adress to send a crash report, please ?  (the dump file is empty but error and output_log are ok)

(Perhaps you could add the address in the window which indicates where we can find the crash report's files)

Did you actually have a crash to desktop? If so, did you have crash reporting enabled? I can't see the crash anywhere on our system. I'll get GJ to reply to your query anyways.

On 12/4/2016 at 11:34 PM, Max_Caine said:

1) Movement actions feel as if they should be faster than they are. The general poise and gait of both the Psyons and the humans suggest they are running from spot to spot, but the speed which they do that doesn't suggest a running pace, more a jogging pace

2) Dead aliens and humans can ragdoll a bit which makes death humorous, when the arm of a dead human spazzes out. Is it possible to make them slump without spazzing? I bet it isn't. 

3) Human feel a little "floaty" when running, that is to say the impression is given that their feet don't seem to quite touch the ground. This is especially obvious when they are running in profile to the observer/player

4) It's hard to tell who still has AP and who doesn't without clicking through each solider, as this isn't updated on the UI on the left hand side.

5) Much easier by sight to work out where I can get a solider to stand. 

6) No crashes throughout the run-through. Will try for a TPK and see if that causes any problems. 

Thanks Max for your various feedbacks. We're working on the movement animation as a priority so hopefully the new system will sort that out, if not then we'll take another look the speeds and heights etc then. The AP bar issue is a bug that we'll fix in the next build.

Also remember we have have a proper editor for the unit stats etc so you won't need to manually edit the JSON files; we might start putting that our public builds early next year.

4 hours ago, Chris said:

Did you actually have a crash to desktop? If so, did you have crash reporting enabled? I can't see the crash anywhere on our system. I'll get GJ to reply to your query anyways.

Yes, a crash to desktop. Crash reporting is enabled but my internet is quite bad at the moment and I was not connected when the crash happened, sorry. I'll try later to play  to see if the crash occurs again (I hope not).

Edited by Spad

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, here is all my suggestions and ideas.

1. Stance system. Being able to stand up, crounch and even prone to a command would add a additionnal line of gameplay and tactical choices. Some armor, for example could cost more TU to crounch and prone than others. 

I am thinking about a movement system just like Silent Storm. In this game, people can move while staying crounched and prone, but cost a hell lot more TU.

Crounch would be very useful for maximum cover and minimal exposure, at the cost of a high Tu usage and if behind certains type of cover, you could not fire directly in front of you. You could fire trough a fence, but not a rock

2. Explosives should be able to knock people off their feets. Some explosives would be much more efficient than others for this. The explosions itself would of course give some damage, but hitting some objects (Like a rock or a wall) or falling would also cause injuries. Peoples getting knocked back would turn into a rigid ragdoll state over a short distance and then either get back on their feets if they are still alive or stay on the ground stunned or injured.

This is to adress the frigid reaction of people in the first xenonauts whenever they get into an explosion.

3. I am currently studying in 3D game animation. In my personnal opinion, you should have many animations depending on the situation of your soldier. A lightly equipped soldier will have a different stance and movements versus a heavily armored one. People should react and look around when they get fired upon. They should stand against objects when in cover. Whenever you see them in the barracks when you choose their equipements, they should stand around, check their guns and equipements. Depending on their morale and current events, they should look scared, happy, confident, sad, nervous, angry, etc... If they lose a fellow soldier, their expressions could change. If they have accomplished something great or have received new equipements, again, they get different expressions.

4. Make a personality randomly set to each soldier. Some people are serious, some are jokers and dick around, other are very focused on their missions, others are nervous and prudent, etc... Maybe i think too large, but i really like when everything have some life and they just not stand around like robots. This would only affect when you see them in the barracks, it would not have any influence on the field.

5. Better field view and zoom. I don't like the four directions only. Make it at least as an hexa, with 8 directions. Also, being able to zoom out and in would be great to see with more details.

6. External field assets. This could be given when you do some research and under certains conditions. For example, artillery call or even gunship support. Aliens could have similar things.

And so much more...

Your game have infinite potential. I really believe you can make one of the greatest xcom-like strategy-tactical game.

4 hours ago, Ngong8 said:

When release Version 0.1.2?
(Don't blame me,I just ask because the game seems no update recently.)

@jeffQC1 More cosmetic options are always nice, but they also cost money to develop.  

Manual crouching was a thing in Xenonauts and it was almost always the correct choice, I felt like it added the illusion of depth more than actual depth.  About the only times not to crouch were when you didn't have the TUs, or were not firing a weapon AND were confident they were in a position no alien could shoot at them.  

13 hours ago, Dranak said:

Oh! I didn't notice that christmas post! Anyway,thanks for reply to me!
I hope Chris and the team will make the game better! MAP RANDOMISATION!
But just a little bit problem,some obstacles seem hard but still can be easily destroyed by just a few bullets.

But still like the game,since I've enjoyed Xenonauts 1!(Although I don't have finished the game once,and give up then play with mod)

@jeffQC1 More cosmetic options are always nice, but they also cost money to develop.  

Manual crouching was a thing in Xenonauts and it was almost always the correct choice, I felt like it added the illusion of depth more than actual depth.  About the only times not to crouch were when you didn't have the TUs, or were not firing a weapon AND were confident they were in a position no alien could shoot at them.  

On 12/5/2016 at 9:55 PM, Max_Caine said:

EDIT 2: Have now discovered the .json files and am pleased to report that itinerant modders fiddling with the stats doesn't cause any issues. Personally would have preferred a greater degree of separation of the data from the code, but you takes what you gets. 

@Max_Caine Could you elaborate on the "greater degree of separation"? 
Also, this still is an extremely early build. The combat setup JSON is a temporary placeholder at best.

Yeah, we're back now. I expect another release in the next two week but I'm not sure exactly when it will be yet as we're making some quite big changes to the level editor right now.

We'll be having some big team meetings tomorrow and setting our internal goals for the new few weeks, so I expect to do another proper status update this week that will give you a bit more information on the path to our next release and the upcoming Kickstarter.

• 2 weeks later...

Played it once. Looks good.

• Unit sometimes cannot move to neighbouring grid, like reported before.
  • Movement is often interrupted mid-way, not sure why but may be because the soldier see a known enemy?
  • Sometimes the LoF block indication would constantly swap each other, resulting in flashing text.  I can try to make a gif if wanted.
  • Soldier movement a bit slow.  No parallel movement.
  • Alien shots is very clear.  Friendly shot is less clear, e.g. when they may hit a cover obstructed on the screen. Cutting trees off should help.
  • Likewise, I think damage number is often obstructed by the environment.  I don't see them often.  Can we slow it down?
  • Lack of TU indicator.