[X:CE 0.34.2] Loading an in-progress GC save freeze

Policenaut

3 minutes ago, Solver said:

@Charon, I will make a note to try something with the ambient sounds when GC ends (can't hurt at least) but I think your attempts to add hundreds of sounds will just be a stability disaster no matter what.

I know, and this really hurts me because ive already set up my sound workstation perfectly, to produce high quality sounds for the aircombat endlessly. You should really take a look ( and a listen ) to those sounds to know what i mean. They sound so gorgeous and are so needed. You can also watch my latest developer diaries to get a taste.

I guess i will publish them as a small package first, to minimise stability issues.

Btw i m only talking about aircombat sounds, i dont add GC sounds. GC sounds seem to be fine as long as you dont add ambient sound.

If you want to fix something it should be the buggy loading of GC, but i dont think thats possible, because honestly, i dont even know where we should start there.

As the previous efforts to directly contact PlayFirst didn't work, perhaps tracking down the people responsible for actually making the engine is worth a shot. They might not even work at PlayFirst anymore and it seems likely that the company itself isn't very helpful about this, as they didn't care before and probably won't now. I think Chris' even tried offer them money for it but well the result speaks for itself. I'm not an expert at internet detective work but I don't think this is an impossible task, although not an easy one.

2 minutes ago, Policenaut said:

As the previous efforts to directly contact PlayFirst didn't work, perhaps tracking down the people responsible for actually making the engine is worth a shot. They might not even work at PlayFirst anymore and it seems likely that the company itself isn't very helpful about this, as they didn't care before and probably won't now. I think Chris' even tried offer them money for it but well the result speaks for itself. I'm not an expert at internet detective work but I don't think this is an impossible task, although not an easy one.

+1

Im all for it. This could mean a lot. And we already got some dedicated modders, why not spending some time to track down some individual guys. We should talk to @Chris first about this though. And Solver needs to give a green light too.

They might still have contacts there and might be able to directly influence them more and even get in proper contact with them. Act as a bridge between the Xenonauts community and PlayFirst, connecting the two. The more important question is if it even exists anymore and they might have insight on that.

10 minutes ago, Solver said:

Thanks Chris. I'll make an attempt and I'm pretty hopeful of receiving a response due to general developer solidarity if nothing else, but I am also very doubtful of any concrete results.

That sounds big. I support this :), as far as i can.

• 3 months later...

This might interest you @Charon.

I figured out what was causing problems with the Ultimate Ambient Sounds mod. It was the use of multiple ambient sound sets, which I used for looping sounds and flyby airplanes/UFOs. I've created a LITE version which only uses one ambient sound set per tileset and the crashing has reduced dramatically. It's still possible to trigger random crashing sometimes if you load/save a lot (triggered the first crash after loading/saving maybe +10-20 times in a row), but it's much better than before and I never triggered crashing when transitioning from GC to the Geoscape.

Just now, Policenaut said:

This might interest you @Charon.

I figured out what was causing problems with the Ultimate Ambient Sounds mod. It was the use of multiple ambient sound sets, which I used for looping sounds and flyby airplanes/UFOs. I've created a LITE version which only uses one ambient sound set per tileset and the crashing has reduced dramatically. It's still possible to trigger random crashing sometimes if you load/save a lot (triggered the first crash after loading/saving maybe +10-20 times in a row), but it's much better than before and I never triggered crashing when transitioning from GC to the Geoscape.

Wanna come online on steam? I would love to chat about something new.

Sounds good but i already solved all crashing problems regarding the sound system. Right now we have a 6 hour testing run and 1 freeze, and ... i havent seen any crashes on loading anymore, but that might still need some testing. GC to Geoscape crashing has long been resolved too. Thx for the heads up, your reports help me quite a lot.