When will I find Alien Leader (and Alien Bases) ?

Xaiff

Hi...

I'm currently playing xenonauts in Easy mode (as I've never played this kind of game before) .

The thing is... I managed to take down almost every alien vessels detected on radar and had 2 terror missions which ended up quite miserably. Yes, I know I play on Easy and still managed to get rekt. That's why I prefer to use interceptors to take down those vessels before they trigger terror missions. (Hate those medium drones)

I already got to third year and never even once encountered an Alien Leader unit.

Should I wait some more? Or should I let some alien vessels to build bases first? Well, I've never let them build their bases, so it may be the problem.

Or I've just played it in the wrong way that some events cannot be triggered (like the alien bases thingie)

Edited by Xaiff

Foreword: if you don't have the Community Edition, install it and continue with that. It's a much smoother experience.

What UFOs are you shooting down? Sounds like you're having trouble in ground combat but are doing well in the air. Shooting down UFOs is actually enough to delay the alien invasion by a lot. I assume you've captured an Officer, but if you've played to 1982, there should have been Leaders around, even on Easy. If you have Cruisers or bigger UFOs, those can have Leaders. Alien bases as well, though not the smallest ones.

Gee, thanks  a lot... 

I was wondering whether I played it the wrong way or not... Now I'm in 1982 and have captured 1 Leader so far. Well, that's enough for the scientist to get to work. :)

As for the bases, do I need to "deliberately" let some medium alien vessels land repeatedly? Is patrolling necessary to detect them? And will the bases develop in size if left alone for some time?

EDIT : I've just found this Link. It contains alien invasion progression. It stated progression from month 1 until 10. Is it in a recurring pattern or like "unlockables"?  And is it still valid if I use is as reference for the Community Edition?

PS: I do badly in playing strategy games as I tend to build economy *cough* safety *cough*  first and ended up defeated by continuous light raids or badly besieged in late-game. So I expect some difficulties in playing the ground missions. That's why I picked Easy but still do quite miserably in terror missions.

Edited by Xaiff

4 hours ago, Xaiff said:

Gee, thanks  a lot... 

I was wondering whether I played it the wrong way or not... Now I'm in 1982 and have captured 1 Leader so far. Well, that's enough for the scientist to get to work. :)

As for the bases, do I need to "deliberately" let some medium alien vessels land repeatedly? Is patrolling necessary to detect them? And will the bases develop in size if left alone for some time?

EDIT : I've just found this Link. It contains alien invasion progression. It stated progression from month 1 until 10. Is it in a recurring pattern or like "unlockables"?  And is it still valid if I use is as reference for the Community Edition?

PS: I do badly in playing strategy games as I tend to build economy *cough* safety *cough*  first and ended up defeated by continuous light raids or badly besieged in late-game. So I expect some difficulties in playing the ground missions. That's why I picked Easy but still do quite miserably in terror missions.

Pick um some tricks along the way from the X-Division Developers Diaries. Its another mod but the groundcombat rules are still the same.

9 hours ago, Xaiff said:

Gee, thanks  a lot... 

That Wiki is out of date in every way.

Alien bases do grow in size along with the rest of the alien invasion. Unless you use a mod like Dynamic UFOs, it doesn't matter whether you leave bases alone or not, their size depends on the overal alien progression. You can find them faster if you patrol, but eventually you'll discover them anyway.

Xenonauts has a disbalance towards air combat though, in general. It's more important than the ground combat.

• Like 1