psion pain in the neck

garyg

I am doing a alien base mission.  Ran into an ambush and discovered that two of my men had no guns.Where were they left? Had to reload a save to find the guns. All my troops have as high bravery as I could manage at this point in the game yet they are still repeatedly  panic, unnerved, berserk, etc.  Almost every turn this happens. I am still using lasers which are black on a black background and are not easily noticed when missing.  I may be stupid for not checking weapons every turn but am very tired running around looking for the guns dropped somewhere.  There should be some kind of defense against psions because looking for guns on floor, sometimes hard to see, is no fun.

When your soldiers panic, you get a message. "Soldier Guy has broken down and is fleeing". Then you see them run away. Just remember roughly where they were before they ran and you can easily pick the weapon up on the next turn.

Psionic attacks are powerful, that's what makes Caesans strong. Otherwise they would be much less of a threat than Sebillians or Androns.

And you should be well prepared before assaulting alien bases, especially the biggest ones. You need good troops with high stats, good equipment, a lot of smoke and reaction fire. I find those to be the most difficult missions in the game.

Yeah, but those messages flash on the screen so fast and so often that I miss them. Maybe I'm a slow reader. However if I ignore an alien base until I'm better prepared won't it negatively affect that country to the extent that I could loose It?

Edited by garyg
punctuation

I on the other hand find myself annoyed by how long those messages stay on the screen. They're on for like 2-3 seconds, and then you see the soldier running away - after the first couple of times, you really should have no problems noticing.

And yes, alien bases do damage relations with the country, but it's not by that much. If you have good air coverage of the country in question, you should be able to offset the damage done by the alien base. Of course you should keep an eye on the expected funding change.

OOPS!  My fault. I just checked. Soldiers only drop weapon if they panic AND run. It just seemed to me that they always dropped them for any reason.  2-3 seconds? I think 1 second is closer to the truth.  Maybe I'll come back to this base when I am better prepared. Does the alien base grow bigger the longer I leave it alone? Thanks much. I appreciate your quick responses.

Yes, they drop weapons if they panic and run, then the message is "broken down and fleeing". If they just panic, and the message says "X has panicked", they just skip the turn.

Alien bases do grow, though it depends on the mods you're using. If you're using the Dynamic UFOs mod from X:CE, all bases grow separately. If you're not using that mod, the bases all grow at the same pace, it's a global thing then. You can see what size the base is by its name. They're called Alien Outpost/Base/Fortress for the three sizes. The biggest bases have something like 25 enemies, so do not take them lightly.