Dumbest base location

garyg

Learned the hard way. I put my first base in central america to cover all 3 areas worth lots of money. What I didn't realize was that having so much water about meant that most of the ufo's I shot down went in the ocean, no recovery, no experience for my troops.  I've been on 2 missions and it is the middle of October. Also since I am playing X:CE with the mods the ufo's run away from my condors so I can't shoot them down which further reduces my opportunities for a ground mission. You need that early experience so put that first base in the middle of large land mass.  Has anyone succeeded with your first base in the Americas?

X:CE doesn't make UFOs run away more than usual.

Central America is a great spot a bit later in the game. Early on, you can only cover parts of North and South America from there, and yes, the amount of water decreases the amount of crash sites that you get. For the first base, there's a clear superior choice and it's somewhere around Egypt, giving you very good coverage over the Northern Africa, Middle East and Europe regions, a chunk of Southern Africa, and a bit of coverage into the USSR and Indochina regions.

Cuba is ALWAYS my second base, where mi first one is always between southern italy/Northen Africa or Middle east.

A really tough option is Australia. It's difficult but it pay up 'cause usually is one of the first continent you lose if you are not quick enough.