no laser guns?

garyg

I'm playing the xce with all those great mods and I just noticed that laser weapons have been skipped.  I  went straight to plasma guns. In my vanilla playthrough I remember getting laser first then later plasma. Did I miss something or was this change intentional? If so, I don't think I like it.

1 hour ago, garyg said:

I'm playing the xce with all those great mods and I just noticed that laser weapons have been skipped.  I  went straight to plasma guns. In my vanilla playthrough I remember getting laser first then later plasma. Did I miss something or was this change intentional? If so, I don't think I like it.

Probably u missed it.

Not much better, but slightly, yes. X:CE fixes a few AI bugs, for instance, one where aliens would sometimes see no good course of action in a turn so they'd just stand in place. Or if an alien decides to move a longer distance, it was possible in the vanilla game for the alien to see something while en route but not properly react to the new info, X:CE fixes that case. One bigger change is that the AI Is better capable of understanding multi-story buildings and stairs movement. So the AI isn't much better but there are numerous fixes that add up. Then again, the X:CE aliens are also more willing to throw grenades, sometimes blowing themselves up.

Yes I have noticed these changes. However I have also noticed that they really chuck those grenades around now, so far they always hit Xenonauts and not themselves. I seldom get home without all my team wounded some degree because of those grenades. OK, I have grenades too.  Unfortunately almost everything blocks my line of sight including a 1 m high wall!!!!  Hope Xeno 2 does better with LOS.

LOS is easily one of the worst aspects of the game. It used to be even worse in the early versions, but it's still not great. A tip about grenades though, you can throw them over walls, hedges and such if you're standing at least one tile away. You cannot throw over walls you're adjacent to.

If you see the aliens throwing grenades all the times, you probably keep your soldiers bunched up too much. Aliens will sometimes throw grenades even at lone Xenonauts, but they're extremely grenade-happy if they have the chance to hit 2 or 3 Xenonauts with one grenade.

2 minutes ago, Solver said:

LOS is easily one of the worst aspects of the game. It used to be even worse in the early versions, but it's still not great. A tip about grenades though, you can throw them over walls, hedges and such if you're standing at least one tile away. You cannot throw over walls you're adjacent to.

If you see the aliens throwing grenades all the times, you probably keep your soldiers bunched up too much. Aliens will sometimes throw grenades even at lone Xenonauts, but they're extremely grenade-happy if they have the chance to hit 2 or 3 Xenonauts with one grenade.

And shield bearers are alien grenade magnet too.. An alien will try to toss a grenade for sure if it sees a xenonauts with shield.

22 hours ago, Solver said:

It's nothing new to X:CE, you can skip some research paths in the default game, or in X:CE. You can get plasmas before laser, and you can get wolf armour before jackal. Depends on the order of your research and a bit on luck.

If you're using one of the mods that mixes up the kinds of aliens/UFOs that spawn (e.g. Dynamic UFOs), there's a much higher probability of being able to skip laser weapons as there's a wider range of potential loot to recover.  In the vanilla game, plasma weapons are locked behind tech which doesn't tend to appear for a couple of months so it's hard to skip lasers that way.