New to Xenonauts and X:CE

Xaiff

Hi, today I managed to get myself a copy of Xenonauts v2.3

A forum recommended to use XNT 5.3 and Xenophobia (the newest version too). I proceed to install them as instructed by the mod devs.

Okay, I then opened the game. Everything is normal until I clicked begin game. Then I was stuck as the screen only displayed a splash picture. It was the same when I tried to restart the game.

What should I do to make them work properly? Or are they simply too obsolete to use?

Thanks for the quick reply...

I just realized that the case said Xenonauts 2.3 but the launcher actually said Xenonauts v1.65W Stable (no mods applied) and Xenonauts 1.08HF Community Edition 0.25HF2 UNOFFICIAL: Die Dreadnought after being modded. Sorry for the confusion.

I got the link to XNT when I browsed around Nexus and found Xenophobia. It sure said that XNT was necessary for it to work properly. And I mentioned XNT 5.3, I meant the "Firebat" one which also stated as Final. 

Edited by Xaiff
More accurate data

Hi Xaiff, both mods are old ones and you need to search them for their old topics about their final releases and how to install them properly. They got some different versions. Their own modders stopped to develop them months even years ago but some people made them some patches to make them able to work with new version for default game and XCE. But still they became old too.. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Xaiff said:

Thanks for the quick reply...

I just realized that the case said Xenonauts 2.3 but the launcher actually said Xenonauts v1.65W Stable (no mods applied) and Xenonauts 1.08HF Community Edition 0.25HF2 UNOFFICIAL: Die Dreadnought after being modded. Sorry for the confusion.

I got the link to XNT when I browsed around Nexus and found Xenophobia. It sure said that XNT was necessary for it to work properly. And I mentioned XNT 5.3, I meant the "Firebat" one which also stated as Final. 

That's a very strong version mismatch.

Xenonauts 1.65W is correct, that is the latest non-Community version of the game. But X:CE 0.25HF2 is a very old version from before some critical features, like the ability to combine several mods. So it shouldn't be expected to work.

You should clean up your installation, remove the X:CE and mods, and download a current version of X:CE from the forums. 0.34.1 is the current version and you can soon upgrade to 0.34.2.

The XNT/Xenophobia mods are also very old. You may find some info on the forums about how to run them on the current versions of the game, but I'm not sure if that's even possible anymore. If you want to play a big mod, you should play X-Division, which initially started as a continuation of XNT when XNT development stopped. However, X-Division is very different from the base game, so I would recommend playing the base X:CE at least once before diving into X-Division.

• Like 1

Whew... Just realized that I never checked the newest mod version. I really need to be cautious since I have little experience game modding experience.

Thanks a lot. I think I should familiarize myself with the base game first. I just played once and got doomed by multiple swarm of alien vessels.