Preview 0.34.2 XCE - Open discussions

Charon

24 minutes ago, drages said:

Why did i explain this with my bad english? As Solver wanted to have new items, i can make a "X" , if i would do it for X-Division i would use a shield. But for the vanilla system, i don't know what would be the best in a little circle. I will look for some designs right now..

IMHO the best solution would be just a green background with the same white icon in front.

Another possibility would be custom design Solver could implement beforehand to be chosen by the player like:

Wait, i need to look this up.

35 minutes ago, Solver said:

You can override the image with whatever you want in X-Division, but something in the original style would be great for the default X:CE. I think I agree with Charon, how about the same icon as alien base / terror mission, but green?

As an creative artist, a color change would be weak to my standards, but as you said we need to find something to fit default game.. 

Here is some designs..

custommbuttonover.pngcustommbuttonover2.pngcustommbuttonup3.png

and all needed files..

custommbuttons.zip

It could always change for the purpose of the mission of course. I just liked the half head one.. 

Edited by drages

I did not change the color theme to fit to default game.. so shadowing could not fit maybe so i used direct white colors.. the ones you showed are all chemical or biohazards amblems. Not fit too.. We need more default symbols for default XCE..

custommbuttonover4.pngcustommbuttonover5.pngcustommbuttonover6.pngcustommbuttonover7.png

Probably you both are right.. green one is the best for standard. Others are up to modders itself.. as the default game don't have any custom mission, the XCE won't add them either.. at least they will add it as xce mods which still up to modder.. I can create whatever they want to have.

Edited by drages

5 minutes ago, drages said:

I did not change the color theme to fit to default game.. so shadowing could not fit maybe so i used direct white colors.. the ones you showed are all chemical or biohazards amblems. Not fit too.. We need more default symbols for default XCE..

custommbuttonover4.pngcustommbuttonover5.pngcustommbuttonover6.pngcustommbuttonover7.png

Probably you both are right.. green one is the best for standard. Others are up to modders itself.. as the default game don't have any custom mission, the XCE won't add them either.. at least they will add it as xce mods which still up to modder.. I can create whatever they want to have.

Jup.

Hazard Symbols are for modders. My idea was to let every mission have a custom symbol modable. If none is used the default will be.

7 minutes ago, drages said:

I like these signs, would be interesting to have different symbols on the map at the same time. Actually this is pretty ingenius, it would look awesome. Can you

photoshop those symbols into an exisitng geoscape image drages ? Just to see how it looks ?

If we strictly talk about the XCE version now.

If you implement a timer for missions to automatically get trigger by either time or ATP you could gently add a mission pack with an scarce impact on the vanilla experience where the experience still gets enriched immensly by seeing random missions popping up every now and then.

21:54 - Drages: we got the most complex ground combat already
21:54 - Drages: if we add the geosphere on it..
21:54 - Drages: there wont be a new game anymore..
21:55 - Charon: we could add missions which drastically drain relation points to 0 in 1 day
21:55 - Charon: adn make a base retake mission at the same time
21:55 - Charon: if we could make the base retake missions custom ... the possibilities !
21:55 - Drages: we can limit researcher and worker numbers and those mission could give us those..
21:55 - Charon: just think about it
21:56 - Charon: yes, the first time i think this is a good idea
21:56 - Charon: we could make the drops from the map unique
-

22:01 - Charon: your stabbing signs could be assasinations ...
22:02 - Drages: you catch it!!! yeaaa
22:02 - Charon: with incredible strong single aliens
22:02 - Charon: heart could be supporting civs missions
22:02 - Charon: covered op for the half skull
22:02 - Drages: you name me mission, i give the icon.. for anything..
22:02 - Drages: u know me..
22:03 - Drages: its the easiest part
22:03 - Charon: :)
22:03 - Charon: and the sowrds are all out big battles

-

22:07 - Charon: we could make the mission available for only 1 hour and use our black ops choppers to intstantly reach them
22:07 - Charon: so that the pleayer has to react asap

Don't get ahead of yourselves with excitement, it's not like the game has a scripting engine that you could do stuff with. Special missions could be a great enabler to have custom, specific maps at certain points in the mission, but they won't give you 100% freedom.

1 minute ago, Solver said:

Don't get ahead of yourselves with excitement, it's not like the game has a scripting engine that you could do stuff with. Special missions could be a great enabler to have custom, specific maps at certain points in the mission, but they won't give you 100% freedom.

Oki.

Just now, Solver said:

Charon is high now.. but even we can have that custom missions by research and zone point, we can bring it to new very new levels.

We can link a story, we can get new research from those, new items, can meet new aliens.. We can add humans into the game with it.. I can bring Mulder!.. This script could be a little step at the code but its a huge step on modding.

Hype train is on the way..

Don't get me wrong - I think this is has really cool potential and could certainly lead to many interesting things with your imagination, but we all have to understand the limitations here. Xenonauts does not have a scripting engine, and the modding of missions is much weaker than many other aspects of modding, and I know you guys are capable of imagining far more possibilities than the game will ever have.

Just now, Solver said:

Don't get me wrong - I think this is has really cool potential and could certainly lead to many interesting things with your imagination, but we all have to understand the limitations here. Xenonauts does not have a scripting engine, and the modding of missions is much weaker than many other aspects of modding, and I know you guys are capable of imagining far more possibilities than the game will ever have.

So far we have made more possible than anybody else could think of with the tools we already had at hand. So i dont have any worries there.

Btw

ecc517d9c2282fa2ef33a7d96b8620070b4bf81963505aea.jpg

Just now, Solver said:

Hearing those from you is very nice. As i know (ok i dont but i can imagine after years) this is not a game engine, but there was always big possibilities to huge things with just easy and very hard coding on it. There is a reason why i non-stop calling you and other XCE coders to give us some little things. Because i know the game has it somewhere. I did not go to custom missions to be honest, even its possible to do, i never think you would help us so much about this, so my list was with full of little touches mostly about fixes and some few things..

But as i said, with only some mission types which could be spawned without UFO, is more then enough for us and this will give us months of work.. so we won't implement this whole system very soon (except princess, which people think still i am joking.. dunno while) anyway. Let me show you what i created with my animation and rendering skills:

se_0002.pngse_0002.pngse_0002.pngse_0002.pngdraconianbird.pngse_0002.pngse_0002.pngse_0002.pngse_0002.pngse_0002.png

All of thems animations and sprites finished, and half of them are ready to game. other half will be finished in this week. We just needed a support from you and we got more then enough, for this reason we hyped out of human limits..

As you see all of the sprites are fitting to game concept and art style as much as they can.. i will name one "solver" .. probably the winged draconian leader..

I've tried putting the 3x2 hangar into the game but :

1. If i just create the space and try to build it in a new game i get a CTD.

2. If i pre-assign it to the first-base build in gameconfig.xml i get a CTD after selecting name of first-base

I even created new images for it (using existing filename structure for underconstruction and built) in case that was causing the problem.

All link doorways are in the correct locations and follow the same designs used in existing base buildings.

@Solver Do you know if there's a max building size that the game will accept (or if there's not, then any ideas on what's going wrong)?

There shouldn't be anything directly prohibiting such a building. It's definitely not a doorway problem, if it crashes in the building phase then it's something else.

If you can make a standalone mini-mod with just that building, I'd probably fix the issue.

I'm not sure what you need for a mini-mod, so i'll just attach all necessary files.

\assets\maps\xenonautbase\largehangar\NE = largehangarNE_1.xml

\assets\maps\xenonautbase\largehangar\NW = largehangarNW_1.xml

\uitextures\buildings\(all the largehangar + largehangar_cons.png's)

and finally the strings and buildings.xmls (i've renamed our one to differentiate the strings, but tried it with both).

Thanks in advance :) 

EDIT : I suppose i should point out that the purpose of this is not to join 3 hangars into one building, but rather to allow us to upgrade them in the future without unduly unbalancing air forces. Ignore the images (my graphic manipulations skills are very limited, i'll leave that to drages). Stage 1 would be 2 aircraft, stage 2 would be 3, stage 4 would be 4, but that is still all "up in the air" :p 

largehangarNE_1.xml

largehangarNE_1.xml

largehangar.png

largehangar_cons.png

largehangar_side.png

largehangar_side_cons.png

buildings.xml

strings.xml

strings (3x2 hangar).xml

Edited by sfarrelly

• Solver locked this topic