IceVamp

Path of Exile - Or "How Diablo 3 should have been"

47 posts in this topic

This seems like a common statement.

In any case, I just wanted to spread the word about Path of Exile, though I'm sure a lot of you already know of it's existence. Now they have pre-purchase in a kickstarter form though which get's you into closed beta no matter how much you give them, and some other goodies for higher sums.

It is a Diablo style game, and I see a lot of people in the forums there praising it as the saviour of the genre, since Diablo 3 apparently is the enemy. Personally I think Diablo 3 will be really fun, and I know this is because I've played it the entire weekend! The passive skill tree which seems inspired by FFX and the active skills and spells being equip-able, levelling gems is quite brilliant, and does away with some "standards" of the genre.

If you think Diablo 3 won't have enough customization, you should try Path of Exile. If you think Diablo 3 won't have a sinister enough mood, you should try Path of Exile. If you just like clicking things dead in an isometric perspective, you definitely should try Path of Exile!

Also, the main developer is named Chris.

If you play on the European Standard league, feel free to add me. (Ashtorah) Any character you add as a friend will add that player, not just that toon.

Cheers

Also, the main developer is named Chris.
This is ridiculus. Three cool games all have a lead dev named "Chris"? Seriously? :D

which one is the second? That Christian Allen game? what was it, Project Takedown?

Chris is just a job title for game developers.

It stands for Crazy but Hopeful and Randomly Interfering Supervisor.

which one is the second? That Christian Allen game? what was it, Project Takedown?

Xenonauts, AI War and now this.

Back to topic: (almost) Have anyone heard anything about Grim Dawn? I came across it on kickstarter and it looks really appealing to me. moreso then Diablo 3 or Path of Exile. Given how little Ive seen of all three games this doesn't say too much and I can't really put my finger on why. But my first impression of Grim dawn is more favourable then the others.

http://www.grimdawn.com/

PS: I guess the enemies bothered me in path of exile. they seemed to flow together and their "taken damage" animation was such a big response that it was hard to tell if they died or would emerge from behind the fireball and keep comming at you. In Grim Dawn they seem more like seperate enteties and has quote: "more satisfying enemy deaths". And don't dissapear behind the damage and ability animations. The visual estetics just flow together better in my opinion. I know it's too early to judge, this is just my first impression.

Edited by Gorlom

Yeah, I'm familiar with both GD and PoE. Both seem to have potential though my favor lies with GD for two reasons.

1. It's not F2P (I dislike the f2p model quite strongly, games that use it often feel trashy and "leechy" though exceptions do exist)

2. It has firearms (I like the gothy, Victorian style).

I'm still not sure if I'm going to support GD's KS campaign but I do hope it's successful if for no other reason than to speed things up. They've been devving at it for a long time now.

Edited by Jean-Luc

Yeah, I checked out Grim Dawn, and put down some money for them as well. It looks quite good gameplay wise. But haven't seen any of the class stuff yet.

I'm also a fan of firearms and swords combined. It was great fun in Torchlight.

Edited by IceVamp

I'll be putting pennies into Grim Dawn. The mention of Titan Quest was enough for me.

I didn't like titan quest actually for one key reason - it wasn't RANDOM. See what I enjoyed the most about Diablo 2 wasn't the clicking orgy or fun with friends or whatever. It was that the maps contained the same areas but were randomly generated so they weren't the same EVERY TIME.

That added so much to the ability to replay that game for sooooo many hours. I studied up on TQ and it wasn't random so I said "Meh". I've got a key for Path of Exile and it's... ok. It doesn't run all that great yet IMO (and my system is beefy so it should run fine). It just seems "slow" somehow. I feels like Diablo 2.5 to me - which isn't bad but I like more innovation. Perhaps that why I actually am enjoying D3? Certain areas are destructible, skills have additional rune abilities you can add on to them, you can upgrade your peons... err I mean "helpers" like the blacksmith etc.

I DO like path of exile - and the economy being based solely on trade instead of gold is pretty interesting as is the skill tree. But the gameplay to me feels like something a decade old already which I'm a bit disappointed about. Maybe Grim Dawn will be better? I dunno - but I haven't seen anything on if it will be randomized or not. Gotta do more reading xD

That's a very good point about Diablo. It's why I like it too.

I came across Titan Quest very late on. In fact, the company had gone and blamed piracy in part for not getting enough sales. I really enjoyed going up against creatures from Mythology. It was bright. It was Grecian and had some very interesting features.

I didn;t get to paly it and it's sequel more than a couple of times before the next toy came along. A hard drive disaster killed off any save games. So, I didn't ever get to the point that I found it repetitive. It's certainly not a game I've played as frequently as Diablo 1 or 2, but it was a nice change.

I played through TQ and the expansion. It was good fun really, but I never bashed at it endlessly like D and D2.

It is true that the physics in D3 makes it really enjoyable, now that I've had a chance at it. It does seem a bit more alive than PoE. There's also the fact that you can't "mess up" your character. If it's not working, change the skills and get better gear. Whilst in PoE you'll have to trade quite a bit for enough of those respec orbs. (Gives you one point back per orb.) I have no idea how Grim Dawn does character development yet, though.

The Grim Dawn trailer did mention randomized instances but I don't know if it was in reference to monsters or maps, items or boss traits or just what exactly was being randomized. It looked pretty solid though from those pre-alpha videos but my question to myself is since I'm already playing D3 and PoE do I NEED a third game in that vein? I don't know that I do unless it's really, really good.

I also think if I get all three the one I'll play least is PoE.

Well, do we need computer games of any kind really? I buy games all the time, and often don't finish them before the next new thing comes out. My backlog is huuge, it's horrible. But, I try to think of it like this; A movie ticket, plus popcorn is about $30+. And that gives me about an hour and a half, maybe two of entertainment. So a $100 game has to entertain me for at least six hours, but less than ten is actually pretty bad, or it's not worth the cash.

Pretty stupid to have update 10 be backers only if you ask me...

Well, it's a thank you to the backers. If you didn't back it, you get no thanks! :P Why not put down $18 and get a game at a good price?

That would depend what update 10 says, it may be information that only backers need to know.

Well, it's a thank you to the backers. If you didn't back it, you get no thanks! :P Why not put down $18 and get a game at a good price?

Diablo 3

Torchlight 2

Xenonauts

Xcom by Firaxis

BF 3 armored expansion

Orcs Must Die 2

Faster Than Light

uhhh I think that sums it up <3

Only so much time and money haha. I thought maybe the new update had a video or smth in it which would have been silly but a simple thanks makes sense. Still when it's ongoing as a drive, even if the goal is made, I'm not sure I agree with having backer only updates <shrug>

I can see where you're coming from , but I don't mind. Obviously I'm biased.

Isn't the BF3 expansion called Close Combat? There were some new gameplay in the video as a reward, and I agree that it could have been made public. It won't hurt their thing!

The first BF 3 expansion is close quarters combat but there are two more announced, one of which is huge maps with tons of armor and the return of ATVs!

I've been playing during the open beta weekend, and while it's fun I certainly wouldn't call it the "saviour of the genre". It plays almost exactly like Diablo 2, which is a good thing if you like Diablo 2, but the skill system is quite different; rather than investing in a skill when you level up, you put gems into your armour/weapons which enable the use of skills and spells. Example: I get a fire bolt gem, I put that into my wand, I can cast a fire bolt. I haven't played the game long enough to make a solid statement, but I kind of prefer to have control over the skills and spells I'm going to be using, rather than having to rely on chance for a drop, or pay out of my ass for a particularly rare spell. The skill tree contains purely passive abilities, such +damage, +crit chance, and the tree is absolutely fucking huge, when I first opened I was overwhelmed by the fucking spider-web of skills you can invest in, which is a great thing when compared to how simplified Diablo 3 is. So yeah, over-all it's decent, but nothing amazing, and I'm more excited for Grim Dawn because in my opinion Titan Quest was the last great Diablo-like game.